It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Tendinitis vs. tendon tear

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-04-2016, 03:03 AM   #1
    Mumtoakl
    (female)

Mumtoakl HB User
    Cool Tendinitis vs. tendon tear

In May I ran on the treadmill barefoot like a moron. Somehow stepped wrong and caused a bruise to my lateral ankle on my left foot. Had pain from my left ankle to the outside of my metatarsal since then. X-ray was negative for any kind of fracture or arthritis. Finally referred to a podiatrist. Saw him today he examined my feet and stated he thought it might be tendinitis or a partial tendon tear. But he wasn't sure why it was still inflamed after five months. Decided on a Cortizone shot first. Ibuprofen, and recommended orthotics and come back into weeks. I also have hypermobility and have severely sprained both ankles three times. I rarely bruise or swell just have lots of pain. I was Just curious for those that have gone through something similar if it ended up being just tendinitis or being a tendon tear? I received a Cortizone shot yesterday morning and so far not really helping. I know it can take a few days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2016, 04:23 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Tendinitis vs. tendon tear

Hello. Tendonitis is inflammation, whereas a tear is an actual tear. This can be seen clearly by MRI. Have you thought about asking for an MRI?

Cortisone is a steroid, which helps take down the inflammation. It doesnt last long, but may help with pain for a few weeks. And yes, it can take 48 hours to kick in, although for some people, it simply doesnt do anything. Ibuprofin works the same way, by reducing the inflammation.

A podiatrist may not be the best person to see for this. Have you considered seeing an orthopedic doctor? They usually have MRIs in the office and if not, can send you for one. Orthopedic doctors can tell the difference between a tear and a break, inflammation and a problem. Good luck!

Reply Reply

Tags
    tendon damage, tendon injury, tendon pain, tendonitis