It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• New to board-upcoming PTT repair with FDL transfer

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-17-2016, 07:24 AM   #1
    NanceDance
    (female)

NanceDance HB User
    New to board-upcoming PTT repair with FDL transfer

Hi!
    I am new here, and wanted to introduce myself.
    I have been flat-footed all my life. I have bilateral bunions.
    Since the beginning of the summer, I have had increasing pain in both feet.

I was all set to have the bunion corrected and the flat foot reconstructed on the right, when the left started acting up. MRI on the left showed an osteochondral lesion of the talus and a torn posterior tibial tendon.

Surgeon #1 recommended two procedures: fix the OCL first and then, after I heal from surgery #1, do the PTT repair and flatfoot reconstruction. I have been in a boot since Oct 11.

Surgeon #2 thinks that all my pain is coming from the tendon, and recommends leaving the OCL alone. He also recommended not doing anything to the bunions, because he is concerned that I will lose some range of motion in my big toe, which can be significant in someone like me whose primary exercise is dance.

So, I am going with surgeon #2, and am scheduled for the repair with medial displacement calcaneal osteotomy on 12/6.

Any tips on what I should be doing now to prepare would be appreciated!

thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #2
    NanceDance
    (female)

NanceDance HB User
    Re: New to board-upcoming PTT repair with FDL transfer

T minus one week.

Freaking out a little...

Old 11-29-2016, 03:01 PM   #3
    tycamsdad
    (male)

tycamsdad HB User
    Re: New to board-upcoming PTT repair with FDL transfer

I just had the medial slide calcaneal osteotomy, bunion correction and achilles lengthening, etc. done on November 2nd.

My biggest advice would be to prepare yourself mentally and physically for the non-weight bearing. I use a scooter for getting around most of the time but I have also been using the crutches when needed. My kids were home for Thanksgiving and we went out for longer than I expected and I was whooped afterwards. If you aren't used to using the crutches, practice with them. Go up and down stairs, go to and from your car, do some daily tasks with them. Just get comfortable with them.

I also would recommend staying ahead of the pain. I am not using the prescription pain meds now (just Tylenol as needed) but the first week or two I definitely needed it. I am still pretty numb from the surgery but the feeling is starting to come back and I can feel the heel and bunion corrections.

Lastly, make sure that you have something to do to keep yourself occupied while you are out of commission. Whether it is catching up on your reading, watching a good TV series or something, make sure you have something to do so you don't feel bored.

The Following User Says Thank You to tycamsdad For This Useful Post:
    NanceDance (11-30-2016)
    Reply Reply

Tags
    calcaneal osteotomy, fdl transfer, flat foot reconstruction, pttd