It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Calcaneal osteotomy recovery and knee roller

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-09-2016, 08:42 PM   #1
    ActiveDad
    (male)

ActiveDad HB User
    Calcaneal osteotomy recovery and knee roller

I am new to the group. I am 5 weeks post-op on a calcaneal osteotomy (with lateral plate hardware), PTT repair, and a tendon transfer. My main question is about recovery time and which assistive devices work best. Before the surgery, I was under the impression of 4-6 weeks non-weight bearing and another 4-6 weeks in a walking boot. From the threads I have read, it may clearly take longer. I have been using crutches the last 5 weeks and quite honestly my wrists are starting to feel shot. I have reservations about the effectiveness of a knee roller and how well it will work with a walking boot. Also, my 2 large dogs (75+ lb) have been an obstacle nightmare. Feeling frustrated and I just want to be able to carry a simple plate of food to the table.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2016, 11:26 AM   #2
    Gerr
    (female)

Gerr HB UserGerr HB UserGerr HB User
    Re: Calcaneal osteotomy recovery and knee roller

I had PTTD Surgery on my right foot in August of 2015. I found the knee scooter to be a life saver. Don't know what I would have done without it. I didn't have the strength to use crutches and just before the surgery when I tried to practice going up the front steps of my house with crutches, I managed to strain my "good' foot, which was devastating at the time. So I stopped trying to use crutches. When it came time to wearing the boot with the kneel scooter, I had no problems at all. As I improved, I used a walker a little, but not as much as the knee scooter (until I was using both feet.) I used a wheelchair in the kitchen for cooking, but the knee scooter for the rest of the house and going to doctor appointments.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:46 AM   #3
    ActiveDad
    (male)

ActiveDad HB User
    Re: Calcaneal osteotomy recovery and knee roller

Thanks for the response. I was unsure about the knee roller since the walking boot stops about 4 below my knee, so it would be uneven on the pad between the boot and my knee itself. Im going back to the doctor tomorrow and will probably ask about the knee roller again if I have to remain non-weight bearing.

Closed Thread

Tags
    calcaneal osteotomy, posterior tibal tendon surgery