It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• PTTD Surgery: Indecision about 2nd Foot

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-11-2017, 08:19 PM   #1
    Gerr
    (female)

Gerr HB UserGerr HB UserGerr HB User
    PTTD Surgery: Indecision about 2nd Foot

Almost two years ago, I wrote to Health Boards concerning my indecision about having PTTD surgery on my right foot. I was very confused and wrote about my limited activities due to the problem, and how it affected my quality of life Ė even mentioning what low calorie food I allowed myself to eat due to inactivity. I was hopeful that with the surgery I could return to an active life style and take walks and be active with my main interest, which is dog rescue. To a certain extent, this all came true. I am doing much more than I was before the surgery. For the most part I am pain free in the right foot, and it isnít taking all my concentration (obsessiveness) as it was. But unfortunately, I am now in a similar situation with the left foot, and I am trying to figure out what to do.

My left foot is flat, but structurally, it is still intact. (Nothing like the right foot was just before surgery.) From the x-ray, from last year, it doesnít seem obvious that I need a similar surgery. But I am dealing with chronic pain in the PTTD area in the left foot, and for instance, on very good days, I can walk for 20 min. before feeling the discomfort. But that is on a good day. When I sit down, even for a short period of time, I can be comfortable when I get up. But I know that at some point, sometimes sooner, than later, I will get that chronic pain when I am on my feet. Even standing still for a while relieves it. But once I start moving again, the pain comes back. I have tried 3 different orthotists. I have numerous orthotics, and orthopedic shoes. It doesnít seem to matter what I try, the discomfort always is present at some point, and it sort of negates how well my right foot is doing. It feels like there is a perpetual strain in the left foot.

I wish I could live with the discomfort- tune it out somehow. But once it starts, it takes all my concentration. It is still low grade, but I canít think of anything else when it starts up. I still canít walk my own dog on a regular basis because I want to concentrate on the dog and not the pain. And I am afraid to foster a dog for my rescue because it would mean more time on my feet- too much pressure when I am feeling the discomfort too much. I know I have gotten stronger in both feet from my attempts at walking, and being on my feet more generally, but that doesnít seem to stop the discomfort.

PTTD surgery was extremely tough on me and risky at age 66, and I am reluctant to go through that experience again at 67 or older. I wish there was some other way to get better rather than going through that major surgery again. I just donít know if I can live with things the way they are or I should be satisfied at my age with reduced activity and discomfort. Unfortunately, I am worried and upset much of the time.

If anyone has had a similar experience, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2017, 08:53 AM   #2
    stacie448
    (female)

stacie448 HB User
    Re: PTTD Surgery: Indecision about 2nd Foot

I understand your concerns at age 66 as I just had PTTD surgery at age 63. We are no young athletes but older. I cannot advise you about your other foot. The thought of having to go through this again is too much to imagine. But I suppose we do what we must. I love that you are in dog rescue! I guess my final word would be to listen to your body...

Old 02-12-2017, 01:34 PM   #3
    Boston D

Boston D HB User

Gerr,

I definitely sympathize as I am in the same position. Right now I am only 3 months post-op from the right foot. I still can't wear shoes, I still can't walk properly, I'm still in tremendous pain ... still swelling ... I cry all the time... nothing good to say about this surgery. I do have the same problems on the left foot but would rather live with the limitations and that specific pain than go through this again. This has taken over my life and I still don't see a light at the end of the tunnel. The depression and anxiety is beyond anything I could have imagined.

I have tried every possible option and it does get to the point where there are no choices left. Would I do it again, absolutely not but thats just me!

Old 02-23-2017, 12:24 AM   #4
    Laura54940
    (female)

Laura54940 HB User

I am 4yrs post-op from similar surgery to reconstruct flatfoot. I'm 55 yrs old. I sympathize and know exactly where your emotions are. It took a good year and a few months for me to realize I was so glad I had that surgery! My foot is so strong now. I still swell if I'm on it for long periods and I have tingly nerve twinges where the screw is if anything touches that area, but it doesn't bother me. BUT, my right foot needs the same surgery. I was like you, I mentally could not face that recovery again so soon. Well, 4 yrs later, I have decided to go for it. I am so tired of my back and hips hurting all the time (and the foot, of course) because I'm walking all ****-eyed . My left side us over compensating for the right. I am not about to risk ruining that restored left foot! I can walk my dogs for 10 minutes without hurting and wanting to turn around, then realizing it's 10 more minutes to get home! By the way, we have rescues and dogs in common..I'm a veterinary Practice Manager!
    Anyway, it took 4 yrs for me to prepare myself mentally for this surgery again. But, it's the only way I'll get back to being able to walk my dogs! Good luck with your decision. I know it's a hard one.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:24 PM   #5
    Gerr
    (female)

Gerr HB UserGerr HB UserGerr HB User

Thanks very much for the responses. I wish I were still in my fifties and had more time to decide about this. The surgery was risky for me. The knee block failed and the pain was intense. After coming home, I ended up back in the hospital from Friday to Monday with a racing heart and high pulse. An experience I would rather not repeat. But I still want to be active and I need two feet in order to do it! What a dilemma!

Old 02-23-2017, 06:36 PM   #6
    DAWN537464
    (female)

DAWN537464 HB UserDAWN537464 HB UserDAWN537464 HB UserDAWN537464 HB User

I had my first foot done just over 10 months ago, and my progression to walk was TOUGH, PAINFUL, DEPRESSING. It is still not what I hoped it would be, I still cannot even think about wearing more than a half inch heel. Problem with that is the other foot needs same surgery and would feel soooooo much better if I could just elevate my arch and heel in a 3 inch heel, but alas that is not possible because the foot I had fixed will take no part in wearing a heel. Ahhhh, I used to get so much relief from wearing heels before surgery. I also need to have the other foot done, and I don't know if I have it in me, have the strength and spirit to go through this painful recovery of walking again. The downtime right after surgery and a couple months after in the cast and boot were a breeze for me, yes a complete BREEZE compred to the agony that came when I had to use the new "fixed" foot and walk on it. I limped like a zombie for months. I also really don't know how I am going to do this again. I feel for you.

The following user gives a hug of support to DAWN537464:
    left foot (02-25-2017)
    Reply Reply