It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Ankle Arthroscopy advice

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-04-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
    Cankle
    (male)

Cankle HB User
    Ankle Arthroscopy advice

Hello,

I am seeking advice and opinion on whether to go through with an operation to remove a bone spur in the front of my ankle, also performing microfracture to restore cartiledge.

To give a bit of background, the injury stems from a rock climbing accident that happened 2 years ago, when I broke a hold and fell approx 4 metres to hit a ledge with my right foot. The foot was reasonably swollen for around 6 months afterwards, and returned to a relatively stable state about a year after the event. I'm quite an active person, and regularly skateboard, cycle, and swim, as well as climb. I have been taking it much easier with the skateboarding since, and avoided it's more impactful parts, as it is more likely to irritate the ankle.

Unless I spend a few hours engaged in more impactful activities, there is generally no pain in the ankle. After more impactful stuff, I can expect to experience a dull ache for days, and possibly weeks after. The main symptoms are of discomfort and limited range of movement, which in spite of much stretching and exercising in the two years since the injury event, have not improved.

Anyway, I spoke to the surgeon today, and finally saw my MRI, which shows a sizeable bone spur, which seems to correlate quite well with the reduced range of movement. I have been given a 60 / 40 percent chance of the operation improving the situation, with a less than 5 per cent chance of it making things worse. The surgeon's opinion is to avoid operating unless the patient is experiencing significant pain, which I can't say that I am. My cynical side sees this as a way to free up NHS resources. My less cynical side wants to rid myself of this discomfort if I can, and thinks that although the odds aren't stellar, it may be worth the gamble as I am reasonably young (27), and will be more likely to heal up better now than later in life.

I have approx 5 days max to decide whether to go for surgery or not, and would be very appreciative to hear more informed opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #2
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User
    Re: Ankle Arthroscopy advice

I would not let a surgeon near me, if I were you. Your ankle is a very important part of your body and it will take a LONG time for that to heal, if it ever completely heals. I have had other foot surgeries and it took a good year to get over one of them, which was not as complex as ankle surgery.

Reply Reply

Tags
    ankle, arthroscopy, bone spur, microfracture