It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Subtalar Fusion June 23 - recovery question

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-25-2017, 02:25 PM   #1
    ltlepaw
    (female)

ltlepaw HB User
    Subtalar Fusion June 23 - recovery question

Background: I fractured my heel in high school, however due to a poor home situation, I didn't get it fixed. Now it's 20 years later.

Current:

I had a subtalar fusion done June 23. I have a walking boot only. There are days where I am in SO much pain. I take ibuprofen around the clock, but only take my Norco at night because I have my kids to take care of during the day.

Here lately I've noticed wind blowing on my toes hurts. My dr wants me to try walking around with crutches but that is excruciating. Any advice? I'm only 5 weeks out, it's really pushing it to me.

I'm so disappointed that I even did this!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2017, 04:15 PM   #2
    mammalu
    (female)

mammalu HB Usermammalu HB User
    Re: Subtalar Fusion June 23-recovery question

Hi, I had a subtalar fusion done on 20th April. I was in a plaster cast for 6 weeks, then a boot, and non weight bearing for 8 weeks. For the 1st 4 weeks I had to stay in bed with my foot elevated (toes above the nose). At 5 weeks, even lowering the foot hurt. I am really surprised that you are already walking with crutches. The pain would be awful! I am only now, at almost 14 weeks able to walk for about 1/2 hour before the pain sets in. Still in the boot. I really feel for you. Get a knee walker/roller. Much easier to get around on, as you are not putting weight on the foot. They are not that expensive now. Good luck.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:58 PM   #3
    ltlepaw
    (female)

ltlepaw HB User

That's just it, I've tried walking with the crutches and it's excruciating. My Doctor and my husband are pushing me to more, but I'm only 5 weeks out and I really just don't feel ready. They're both making me feel as if I'm some sort of wimp or that I'm milking this, and I'm not! I've given birth naturally, and I'd rather do that than do this!

I never had a cast, just a walking boot. It was done as an outpatient surgery, I was in and out of surgery and home w/in 3 hours! I just feel as if everything is being rushed.

I do have the knee scooter, and at my apppointment today, he asked me when I plan on getting rid of it!

Am I really that much of a wimp?

The following user gives a hug of support to ltlepaw:
    mammalu (07-26-2017)
    Old 07-25-2017, 08:52 PM   #4
    mammalu
    (female)

No, no. you are not a wimp. This is my 2nd fusion, the 1st was a tibia-talar done 9 years ago. Recovery from this one now takes longer than the other one. I really don't understand how anyone could expect you to be walking at this stage. It would be interesting to know what they did and how they 'fixed' the fusion. Subtalar fusion is notorious for not working if you don't stay off it in the first weeks. Listen to what your body( foot) is telling you.
    I know about the birth bit too... would rather that than this he..he..(but too old now)
    Good luck.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #5
    TheJumper
    (female)

TheJumper HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltlepaw View Post
    That's just it, I've tried walking with the crutches and it's excruciating. My Doctor and my husband are pushing me to more, but I'm only 5 weeks out and I really just don't feel ready. They're both making me feel as if I'm some sort of wimp or that I'm milking this, and I'm not! I've given birth naturally, and I'd rather do that than do this!

I never had a cast, just a walking boot. It was done as an outpatient surgery, I was in and out of surgery and home w/in 3 hours! I just feel as if everything is being rushed.

I do have the knee scooter, and at my apppointment today, he asked me when I plan on getting rid of it!

Am I really that much of a wimp?
    Hang in there. I broke both heels last August and it can be the most frustrating when people are pushing you and you are in pain. You need to do what you can. It's very difficult when you feel like the people around you do not understand what you are going through. Maybe tell your husband that you appreciate his support and encouragement but it's just too painful to do that much. You will get there. Hang in there and be patient with yourself. People not dealing with the pain will not understand the struggle you are going through.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:16 PM   #6
    TheJumper
    (female)

TheJumper HB User

Would you two ladies mind explaining what lead to the fusion?

I was told I would have chronic pain and boy do I in my right subtalar region. I'm curious how much pain is normal "chronic" pain and what justifies having the joint fused. I've been reading about the fusion and considering talking to my doctor about getting it in the future. I mostly want to make sure that my foot and ankle is as strong as it can be on its own to see if that helps. For now, I take Aleve and Advil and it seems to keep it at bay as long as I don't walk a lot. On days I do, it ends up feeling like a bad sprain by the end of the day.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:23 AM   #7
    mammalu
    (female)

Hi TheJumper,
    I originally broke my ankle 25 years ago. Over time I got osteoarthritis in the joint. Lots of pain and swelling, but put up with it using pain meds, brace etc. Finally had x-ray done. Result; no cartilage left, no synovial fluid , bone on bone, micro stress fractures along base of tibia. Had tibial-talus fusion. This was 9 years ago. This put stress on the other joints, and so had sub-talar joint. But after 1st fusion healed, was pain free and active until last 18mths. Hope this helps.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:07 AM   #8
    PJ3275
    (male)

PJ3275 HB User
    Re: Subtalar Fusion June 23 - recovery question

thejumper,
    Like you, I also had pretty gnarly bilateral calcaneus fractures. I've only been weight bearing 3 months so I'm not sure what other procedures I'll need done in the future, hopefully none.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-15-2017 at 01:39 PM.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:26 AM   #9
    Paulallaway
    (male)

Paulallaway HB User

Hi
    I'm 3 years after a flying accident shattering both heels. I've had one subtalar fusion 14 months ago to my left. Walking at times is incredibly painful in both!
    I remember reading these post after my accident and wondering how I was going to be.. I'm 49 fit and healthy (was?) and this accident and injury is life changing. I can walk without a limp at times but first steps in the morning are excruciating. There are no rules as to when they are most painful! I try to live a normal life with kids etc but I shattered my L4 and pelvis.. so I'm always guarding my spine.
    I was told 18 months and that's it for recovery but I'm certain that it's getting better.. or at least I listen to my body and don't push it!
    I'm glad it happened at 46 and not 26!
    I'm due to have my right sub talar fusion soon. It worry about the flex action loss in my ankle as the left I have restriction in flexing it which restricts gait when walking..
    My screaming pain is not my heels but an inch infront and below shin bone. I had injections and they were great for 2 weeks. My doctor says there is a need to fuse...
    I hope and pray that others here are positive about their injury but I think listening to others in the same position helps if not only to perhaps reassure?

Old 08-27-2017, 02:26 PM   #10
    TheJumper
    (female)

TheJumper HB User

Thanks for the replies!

Hang in there PJ. It's painful and that won't change but it will get better.

mammalu, thanks for the insight for the future.

Paulallaway, I definitely agree it is life changing and talking with others definitely makes me feel a little better. I'm glad you can live a pretty normal life. I also agree that it continues to get better over time. I'm 13 months out from the original injury and feeling pretty good. I read that preventing swelling in the joint by taking an anti-inflammatory is helpful so I started taking two Aleve in the morning. It has made a huge difference in a standard day on my feet. I'm no longer completely useless after work. I'm not sure how sustainable it is to continue this but its great to know there is some relief out there. Stretching has been pretty helpful too.

Unfortunately, I'm only 30 so I've got many years of this left and I'm sure as I get older more problems will arise. For now, I've stayed pretty positive for the most part

Thanks all for the support.

Reply Reply