It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• How long to work NWB foot into walking shape after three weeks non-surgical rest

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-26-2017, 06:49 PM   #1
    Foot Fu
    (male)

Foot Fu HB User
    How long to work NWB foot into walking shape after three weeks non-surgical rest

Greetings!

I have some issue with my right foot that I haven't been able to pinpoint through the couple of doctor appointments thus far.

In short: Escalating foot pain for the past five months. The past two months it felt like walking around on a mild sprain. The pain and swelling got worse, the recovery times less and, on my own, I took off of work for basically all of July to rest it. I lost out on pay, but I felt like my body was telling me it needed rest.

X-ray showed no obvious break. Still waiting on the VA to even return my call for a possible MRI/podiatrist visit.

So, I've been on crutches and have been NWB with said foot for a little over three weeks. No boot, although I did try one and it was a misery that I couldn't take after two days.

Swelling has gone down a lot, and pain is just random flashes here and there. Not sure if it's healed, but it's better.

Okay, so I need to get back to work next week, a week from now. How long will it take me to ease my foot and leg muscles back into decent walking shape? Should I start now, or can I steal a few more days of rest and then massage and work my foot back into service?

I see this type of question posted, but the people asking are coming from having had surgery and definite broken feet. Anyone ever just go NWB for a few weeks without a cast/boot and then go from there?

Thanks for reading all that!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2017, 09:14 PM   #2
    mammalu
    (female)

mammalu HB Usermammalu HB User
    Re: How long to work NWB foot into walking shape after three weeks non-surgical rest

Hi Foot Fu, sad to hear about your foot. Yes most of us have had some form of surgery, but I expect the transition to walking would be the same. Basically some muscles will be weaker from not being used. Swimming, hydrotherapy and cycling are good to help increase fitness, without putting too much strain on the foot. I would also look at getting a good brace to support the foot and ankle, and use anti-inflammatory cream/tablets to reduce swelling. Sounds like you might have arthritis in the joints. Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to mammalu For This Useful Post:
    Foot Fu (07-27-2017)
    Old 07-26-2017, 11:06 PM   #3
    Foot Fu
    (male)

Foot Fu HB User
    Re: How long to work NWB foot into walking shape after three weeks non-surgical rest

Thanks for the quick response, mammalu!

I'm not sure what I have exactly. I'm sure it's part arthritis and overuse...maybe some accessory navicular worries sprinkled in there. Just have to wait for another check-up.

I'm hoping that general walking be okay after a few days of prepping the foot/ankle/leg and exercising it. I'm imaging it won't be as bad as someone who had invasive surgery.

Thanks for advice on the brace. I was going to wear a compression sock, but the brace (maybe with the sock too, we'll see) might be good for my foot until I can get back to the doctor.

The following user gives a hug of support to Foot Fu:
    mammalu (07-27-2017)
    Old 08-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #4
    Foot Fu
    (male)

Foot Fu HB User

I wanted to update this thread with my experience.

So, to recap: I'm in decent shape, and was resting my injured foot for three weeks. Rest meant no weight, use of crutches and, aside from sleeping, ensuring that the foot stayed as still as possible.

This was rest in general, not coming off of a surgery.

After the three weeks of rest, I gave myself about three days to start walking on the foot again. I began with wiggling toes as often as I could, a form of flexing to get blood moving. I also put my bare foot down firmly on the floor while seated, lightly pushing the foot against the floor to get it used to resistance. I sometimes used a pillow between my foot and the floor to build up this exercise. Seated, and with both feet firmly planted in place on the floor, I would also move my knees in and out, getting a sense of light stress on the ankles.

That was my first day. I just wanted to get the foot used to feeling surfaces and tension against it. I also wanted to get some sense of light flexion in the toes and ankle. These are easy exercises, because they don't really interrupt your daily routine and you can do them pretty much all the time, alternating them effectively.

The second day I continued with the previous exercises, and I also began lightly massaging the feet, carefully flexing them as far as I felt comfortable. In addition, when I needed to get up and move around, I would, still using the crutches, allow my bad foot to firmly plant on the floor. THIS takes some time getting used to. I would suggest not trying to walk just yet, but to try, with the crutches as back-up, to see how long you can just stand in place on both feet. Then, try and take a couple of steps, using the crutches to take enough burden off, but also keeping honest about planting the foot proper, too.

The third day was more of the same, with an emphasis on more crutch use.

Now, I had an errand on the third day, and I probably, in a perfect world, should have just stayed home and gave the rehab one more day on crutches, just to be safe. But, I felt okay enough to make the appointment without crutches, and I did.

So, in general, 3-4 days of working the foot back into walking shape seemed to do the trick for me. Again, this is coming from a place of not having had any surgery. If you've had surgery, listen to your doctor, not some yahoo on a message forum.

As for my foot, the pain is still there at times. The foot is better, but that may be more from the fact that I've cut back my work schedule in general. I went to the er a few days after walking again and was told that the NWB rest I did was what they would have recommended anyway, so no time lost.

I will see an orthopedist this Friday. Hopefully, an MRI will help me discover more of what's going on.

Last edited by Foot Fu; 08-16-2017 at 02:15 PM.

Reply Reply