It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• PTTD Surgery advice

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-03-2017, 10:54 AM   #1
    MJ125
    (female)

MJ125 HB User
    PTTD Surgery advice

I have had PTTD for a year and a half. Every conservative treatment has been attempted, and nothing worked. So I was sent to a foot and ankle surgeon. This surgeon wants to do very extensive reconstructive surgery on me. I am 20 years old, female, average weight and height, and not very active. I've had low arches for my entire life, but at this point the affected foot has no arch at all. They don't know what caused me to develop tendonitis, and no treatments have worked.

This surgeon wants to lengthen my Achilles tendon. She wants to do an osteotomy on my ankle bone and shift it over to where it is more centered under my leg. She wants to shave off my navicular (I have a type 3 accessory - it's basically just an abnormally large navicular). She wants to look at my posterior tibial tendon, and depending on the state it's in when she opens it, either clean it or completely replace it. She also speculates that I may have inflammation or even arthritis in my ankle, and wants to open me up there and clean it out as well. Recovery would be 6 weeks non-weightbearing. I am a student, so my only option is to wait until NEXT summer.

I feel like this is a very extensive amount of surgery to have. I'm young and worried about how this will affect me in the future. For anyone who has had PTTD and surgeries like this, was it worth it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2017, 08:09 AM   #2
    Pheslie
    (female)

Pheslie HB UserPheslie HB User
    Re: PTTD Surgery advice

I am only about 9 weeks post op and a great deal older so I can't advise you on if it is worth it. I was told I needed the surgery last Aug. Because I am a teacher I had to wait till June. During that time period I was able to research everything there was to know about this surgery. I also went from bad to worse in the pain, so that helped me realize that I really needed it. I was also mentally ready for the weeks of non weight bearing. Although it sounds like a lot, it is better to get these procedures all done. They are all needed for optimal results. Since you are going to wait, do your research. You have time. Keep posting and asking questions. Good luck.

Last edited by Moderator1; 08-04-2017 at 09:02 AM.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:30 AM   #3
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ125 View Post
    I have had PTTD for a year and a half. Every conservative treatment has been attempted, and nothing worked. So I was sent to a foot and ankle surgeon. This surgeon wants to do very extensive reconstructive surgery on me. I am 20 years old, female, average weight and height, and not very active. I've had low arches for my entire life, but at this point the affected foot has no arch at all. They don't know what caused me to develop tendonitis, and no treatments have worked.

This surgeon wants to lengthen my Achilles tendon. She wants to do an osteotomy on my ankle bone and shift it over to where it is more centered under my leg. She wants to shave off my navicular (I have a type 3 accessory - it's basically just an abnormally large navicular). She wants to look at my posterior tibial tendon, and depending on the state it's in when she opens it, either clean it or completely replace it. She also speculates that I may have inflammation or even arthritis in my ankle, and wants to open me up there and clean it out as well. Recovery would be 6 weeks non-weightbearing. I am a student, so my only option is to wait until NEXT summer.

I feel like this is a very extensive amount of surgery to have. I'm young and worried about how this will affect me in the future. For anyone who has had PTTD and surgeries like this, was it worth it?
    i would run as fast as I could from anyone who wants to do all this. I had feet so flat that they were rolling over, which meant that my ankles were weak as well as the hips and legs. Found a man who has strengthened all that and I now have nice high arches. Get yourself into some yoga, if you can, and do some strengthening exercises. A slant board is a good start as well as using yoga toes-both can be found on ******. It will take quite a bit of work, but if you stick to it, you will see results. I had a surgeon tell me that I had the worst feet he had ever seen. If you have bunions and hammer toes, it is because of weakness in the areas I just wrote about.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:23 AM   #4
    Mycats
    (female)

Mycats HB UserMycats HB UserMycats HB User

I did not have the PTT surgery. I was scheduled to have it in June and I cancelled it after finding someone who understood why I was having issues. I went to a naturalpath doctor who does lymphovascular massaging, a form of cupping but more advanced at the urging of my friend. I did not think it was going to help, I had a tear and moderate tendonitis. It started as mild 2 and a half years ago and no tear. Took a wrong step going down steps in Feb and nothing we did helped the pain only made it worse. My surgeon was willing to do the surgery because I could not walk with out extreme pain, but really did not want to do the surgery. He said it is a hard recovery and more complicated surgery then I had before and could make my ankle unstable again. I had 2 surgeries in the past year on my right ankle to stabilize my ankle, unrelated to PTT problem. The naturalpath doctor found that my hormones were off and I had bad circulation in my feet, hence my cold feet. The massaging was painful, but effective. After 2 treatments I found I was walking with less pain and my surgeon was very happy when we cancelled surgery. I still have some pain at times but nothing that I can't live with, the advice of my surgeon was if I can live with it do it. We are still taking care of hormone issues.
    I adopted a inflammation fighting diet, certain foods cause inflammation in your body and take turmeric for the arthritis in my ankles and back.
    I also stopped wearing braces and stabilizing shoes, forget orthotics. All those things made my muscles weaker, zero drop shoes work best for me now. I can't even wear regular shoes without pain. It is everything that goes against what doctors tell you, but it works for me. My pt was upset with me but my surgeon said if it helps, then keep doing it, better then surgery.

You said recovery is 6 weeks NWB, that is just the recovery from surgery before the real recovery starts. When you start pt and putting weight on your foot again is when the real recovery starts. The muscles are atrophied and you need to regain strength and propreception. I have had 6 ankle surgeries total, 4 on left and 2 on right. Everyone recovers differently and I recover pretty quick, but it is minimum of 3 months till you walk without pain. Most say it is 6 months to a year to completely recovered, but you may always experience some discomfort.

But before you jump into surgery try and find a doctor who understands why you are having issues, get your hormones checked. That is my biggest regret, I might not have had failed surgeries if I understood why I was having ligament and tendon issues to begin with. I thought it was just all the sprains over the years but that was just one part of the story.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. Surgery is a big decision and you have year to decide.

Reply Reply

Tags
    pttd, tendonitis