It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Would you get an MRI for mild pain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-11-2017, 07:43 AM   #1
    FlatFootTeacher
    (female)

FlatFootTeacher HB User
    Would you get an MRI for mild pain?

I've had issues with my ankle since last year. I had an MRI in January that showed tendonitis in the paroneal tendon. Pain eventually went away and all was fine until August. Pain came back. We moved to a new town in June, so started seeing a new orthopedist in September. He put me in a boot for 3 weeks and PT for 3 weeks. Ankle is feeling better, but not cured. I have a follow up appointment next week, and the next step is another MRI. The doc thinks I may have a split if things aren't better. Well, things are better but not 100%. It just depends on the day. Some days my pain is a 1/0 and some days are a 3/4, but in the past 2 weeks I've only had one day a 5. Should we move on to an MRI if my pain isn't that bad but everyday? (An MRI would be pretty expensive with the type on insurance we have.) If my pain isn't keeping me from doing anything but is there everyday, what do you suggest? Should I go ahead and get the MRI?

Last edited by FlatFootTeacher; 11-11-2017 at 12:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2017, 12:50 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Would you get an MRI for mild pain?

Are you take an NSAID? Aleve is good and good scrip ones are meloxicam and diclofenac.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #3
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

I would only get that test done, IF NECESSARY!

Old 11-13-2017, 09:21 PM   #4
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Honestly, a few years ago, I had annoying pain in my ankle from a minor tweak. I had some low level mild pain, but it persisted. Months of PT did help me with ankle strength, but did nothing for my pain. I had options and chose to go with arthroscopic surgery because I didn't want the expense of the MRI, then surgery if it showed anything. I knew something wasn't right. It turned out my ligaments were 'trashed' according to the surgeon. I had to have some repair work done.

I am not saying this to suggest you should go straight to surgery. I will say, listen to your body. Even mild pain can be more than a mild injury at times. (Mine was a worse injury than the pain I experienced.) If something doesn't feel right after all that time, it probably isn't. Does your orthopedist specialize in foot/ankles? Having a frank conversation with your doctor about all of your options is probably your best step now. Whether that is MRI or something else.

Closed Thread