It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Just had surgery to reconstruct my Calcaneus (heel) bone, question about normal pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-28-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
    hulloworld
    (female)

hulloworld HB User
    Just had surgery to reconstruct my Calcaneus (heel) bone, question about normal pain

Hi all, I just had surgery to reconstruct my left Calcaneus (heel) bone. The injury occurred 10/21/17, surgery was 11/2/2017. They put in a plate and 9 screws. My tibular joint was turned 90 degrees. Was in good spirits about the whole thing until relatively recently.

This is my first surgery (I’m 28). I don’t consider myself to be very whimsy, but I guess I don’t have much to base that on . I have a question about what pain is normal. After the surgery I had a nerve block, morphine, oxycodone, and then Vicodin. Got through all of that and off of those narcotic medications without much massle or breakthrough pain, and I was only on Tylenol by 11/13/17, which is when they removed the splint and gave me an AirCast boot. When I first put my foot in the boot, I had to go back on Vicodin, I think because flattening my foot in the boot caused a lot of tendon pain. Things soon got better though, and I was back down to Tylenol.

On 11/20/17 I went back to work. I do desk work so I can get away with sitting all day but maybe not always having my foot elevated. That day I ended up having my foot not elevated for most of the day. After that day I didn’t go back until 11/27 because the foot was pretty painful for the two days after.

Since 11/20, my foot has been hurting a ton and it’s not really controlled by Tylenol. The most consistent pain seems to be coming from two tendons on the top of my foot which contect to some middle toes. It’s a pulsing pain, and it’s bad. It’s bad enough that I can’t really think straight. I also have pain in my heel, but that seems to be outstripped by the tendon pain on the top of my foot.

Is this normal given the timeline? It’s tough to remember, but the pain feels significantly worse than it did about 10days ago, and medication hasn’t changed since then. As I type this, the pain is almost starting to feel like a throbbing but stabbing pain. I occasionally take my foot out of the boot to move it minimally (as my doctor asked me to), and I figured maybe this was exacerbating the tendon pain on the top of my foot. Did I go back to work too soon?

It feels like it’s getting worse, not better, and that’s upsetting. I’m scheduled for my text doctors appointment on december 18.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-30-2017 at 08:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2017, 06:48 PM   #2
    Thislilpigg33
    (female)

Thislilpigg33 HB UserThislilpigg33 HB User
    Re: Just had surgery to reconstruct my Calcaneus (heel) bone, question about normal p

it's normal for you to still have pain since its not even a month. You've already gone to work and not elevating and that makes a big difference. Is there any way you can elevate and or ice at work?

Last edited by Moderator1; 11-29-2017 at 06:22 AM.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:28 AM   #3
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
    Re: Just had surgery to reconstruct my Calcaneus (heel) bone, question about normal p

What has your doctor advised?

Typically this injury is laying flat toes above the nose for 12 weeks. Some people doing partial weight bearing at 9.

Lots of people are to busy to follow a doctors advise, and lots of people fail to fully recover.

it is 12-18 month to get as good as it gets after this injury. So I would expect lots of pain, it has barely been a month since the injury.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-30-2017 at 08:20 AM.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:07 AM   #4
    hulloworld
    (female)

hulloworld HB User

So itís normal for the pain to feel as if itís worsening, rather than improving? Thatís my primary concern. We adjusted things at work so now I spend most days sitting with my foot on my desk while the others do the more mobile work. I think I can mostly comply with the elevation instructions. The heel bone itself just got pretty painful yesterday. My doctorís instruction was I could go back to work when I felt ready, so long as I could keep my foot elevated. I have an appointment for December 18, which is when he said heíd like to have me start putting weight on it.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-30-2017 at 08:22 AM.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
    Thislilpigg33
    (female)

Thislilpigg33 HB UserThislilpigg33 HB User

To answer your ? About going to work too early. Yes, I think you did. You had a lot done to your foot and there is a lot of swelling and a lot healing going on. Someone else replied to you, that typically your type of surgery requires 12 weeks of non weight bearing and dr wants you to start puttin weight on before that? It seems too early to start putting weight also I think it may be hurting worse too cuz just the movement of you getting around) it needs more time of 24/7 elevation and icing

Old 12-03-2017, 01:39 PM   #6
    hulloworld
    (female)

hulloworld HB User

Thanks so much, I think Iíll tell work I probably need a bit longer off. Yeah doc scheduled me for my next appointment 6 weeks post-operation. I believe he said in my last appointment (2 weeks post operation) that id start putting weight on it at this up coming appointment. Iíll ask him if thatís too soon when I see him.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #7
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

I don't know what your doctor cleared you for. You could call and talk to nurse. They can ask doctor for more info.

But in my case, sitting with my foot up, was not considered elevated. Need to be close to flat or with toes above the nose.

For me I spent my time in a recliner, tilted back, with two pillows under my foot. I did not have a couch to lay on.

A seated position does not help blood flow back. It is something I did further along, but not for a few months.

Also it may be hurting more, because you are doing more. You are going to work. I rarely left the house. Maybe once a week, maybe not.

The injury varies, and best to listen to doctor and physical therapist. Some times PT are better, because you spend more time with them, and they see where you are at with recovery.

Again I can't speak for your case, but I think some people find this injury to inconvient to allow it to heal.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zerk For This Useful Post:
    Lin79 (12-24-2017)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    calcaneus (heel bone) fractures