It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• How long did you put off surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-27-2017, 07:27 AM   #1
    FlatFootTeacher
    (female)

FlatFootTeacher HB User
    How long did you put off surgery?

I found out I have a torn peroneal tendon. My pain isn't too bad and the doc told me the decision to get surgery is really up to me and my pain. I'm not sure how bad the tear is since the MRI report just said it was torn. When I asked my doc if it was a big tear for a small tear, he said that it really didn't matter. He told me he has had some small tears that cause a lot of pain, and big tears that only cause minimal pain, so it really again just depended on my own pain. I'm nervous about getting surgery since I have never had to use narcotic pain meds and I have a lot of reactions to meds. My system is really sensitive to meds and I usually get every side effect in the book. I don't know if I should just bite the bullet and get my surgery done this summer (have to wait until then because I am a teacher) or if I can put it off for a few more years. Did you put off surgery? Do you wish you didn't put it off?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2017, 04:26 PM   #2
    Thislilpigg33
    (female)

Thislilpigg33 HB UserThislilpigg33 HB User
    Re: How long did you put off surgery?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlatFootTeacher View Post
    I found out I have a torn peroneal tendon. My pain isn't too bad and the doc told me the decision to get surgery is really up to me and my pain. I'm not sure how bad the tear is since the MRI report just said it was torn. When I asked my doc if it was a big tear for a small tear, he said that it really didn't matter. He told me he has had some small tears that cause a lot of pain, and big tears that only cause minimal pain, so it really again just depended on my own pain. I'm nervous about getting surgery since I have never had to use narcotic pain meds and I have a lot of reactions to meds. My system is really sensitive to meds and I usually get every side effect in the book. I don't know if I should just bite the bullet and get my surgery done this summer (have to wait until then because I am a teacher) or if I can put it off for a few more years. Did you put off surgery? Do you wish you didn't put it off?
    Hello, really the decision had to be up to you. If pain not that bad then you can wait. You have to take into consideration though waiting too long may cause other problems. The more that gets done to your foot, more pain means more narcotics. Especially when they mess with bones. Ask dr exactly what will be done. But like I said if you not in too much pain then wait. Keep us posted

Old 12-28-2017, 12:08 AM   #3
    mammalu
    (female)

mammalu HB Usermammalu HB User

Hi there, My question would be if not having the repair would leave you with an unstable ankle. If your ankle is unstable it can lead to further damage and increased risk of arthritis later. You may also risk falling/spraining it more. Good luck.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:35 PM   #4
    keri445
    (female)

keri445 HB Userkeri445 HB User

I know exactly how hard of a decision it can be on whether to have surgery and when to have surgery. Ultimately you have to consider your daily life and how you are able to function now. If you are unable to do the things you love and that make you happy due to pain and instability I would for sure go ahead and have the surgery in hopes to getting back to normal. If you are trying to decide to wait on surgery or not I would talk to your surgeon about the risks of waiting. It would be important to know if he can see the tendon tearing more or causing other damage the longer you wait. The last thing you want is more pain and problems while anxiously awaiting a surgery.

I have had a total of 3 ankle surgeries all on the same ankle and every surgery has had its own list of should I have it or not and should I wait or not. My first surgery I was 15 and was still in competitive dancing and was in a great deal of pain but still really wanted to finish out my season for the sake of the team because i would feel bad for leaving mid season. I ended up deciding to get the surgery but had to wait a month until season was over. I ended up having the surgery just 3 days after my national dance competition. It was the longest most painful wait ever and I never should have pushed myself through it.

My second surgery I did not have to wait it out and actually ended up having the surgery just 6 days after my surgeon had suggested it. But I was forced to make the difficult decision as to if it was going to solve my problems or not. With my first surgery failing I was very skeptical of getting cut open again to try and repair a similar problem. But I decided to go for it in hopes that a different technique would do the trick.

My third surgery I had to again make the difficult decision as to whether yes another surgery would be the cure with a history of 2 already failing, as well as decide on whether or not to wait for the surgery. After two failing surgeries I decided it was time to switch surgeons in hopes of finding some answers as my previous surgeon had no idea as to why I was still having pain and instability. The new surgeon immediately was able to tell me my ankle was unstable and likely torn just from feeling it and immediately ordered an mri. He explained to me that he would use a very different technique than my previius surgeon in hopes to correct it and I agreed to the surgery. The only problem was that I was informed that surgery would be my only option to correct it when it was nearing the end of August and I was just approaching my first year of college in a little over a week. The timing was not great at all. After lots of thought I ended up deciding to wait until Christmas break so that I would be able to have a full month to recover at home. I am now a little over a week post op and am greatful that I chose to wait. It was painful waiting and it got pretty frustrating walking around campus with an unstable and painful ankle but I am very happy that I am able to recover at home. I canít imagine if I was at college right now trying to get around and being in pain and on drugs and not having my family there to care for me.

As for the dilemma about the meds, there are tons of options out there for medications and I am sure that your anesthesiologist, surgeon, nurse, and all of your medical staff will be willing to work around your sensitivities and find something that will help. And also I know everyone is different, but I have not had to be on medication for that long. I was only on it for the first 4 days and have been off of it since with little pain. So it should definitely not be a reason you decide not to have surgery. Another tip is to ask for a nerve block. It is a injection they give you that will numb your leg from the knee down and it lasts through the whole surgery and around 24 hours after. This is very helpful as it limits the amount of narcotics the anesthesiologist puts into your iv during the operation and also limits the amount of meds you have to take after.

I wish you lots of luck with your upcoming surgery and are able to come to a decision that you are happy with.

Closed Thread