It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Chilectomy Tomorrow

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #1
JimB
(male)

JimB HB User
Chilectomy Tomorrow

I've read a lot of posts on the board about this procedure, and tomorrow is the big day for the right foot.

The surgeon said he may have to do a cadaver tissue graft if there isn't enough cartilage in the joint for a good outcome. He showed me some examples on his phone, so I knew what he was talking about.

He put a lot of emphasis on keeping my foot elevated to minimize swelling and to promote faster healing. He also wants me to ice the area frequently and take ibuprofen. He prescribed hydrocodone/acetaminophen 5/325.

I go in on Friday for a change of dressing and to inspect the incision.

I plan to ask about antibiotics, since he didn't mention them the during my pre-op appointment.

I think I've gotten all of my questions answered, but if anyone can recommend others, please let me know.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2018, 05:30 PM   #2
Thislilpigg33
(female)

Thislilpigg33 HB UserThislilpigg33 HB User
Re: Chilectomy Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
I've read a lot of posts on the board about this procedure, and tomorrow is the big day for the right foot.

The surgeon said he may have to do a cadaver tissue graft if there isn't enough cartilage in the joint for a good outcome. He showed me some examples on his phone, so I knew what he was talking about.

He put a lot of emphasis on keeping my foot elevated to minimize swelling and to promote faster healing. He also wants me to ice the area frequently and take ibuprofen. He prescribed hydrocodone/acetaminophen 5/325.

I go in on Friday for a change of dressing and to inspect the incision.

I plan to ask about antibiotics, since he didn't mention them the during my pre-op appointment.

I think I've gotten all of my questions answered, but if anyone can recommend others, please let me know.

Thanks
Hi, yes elevate toes above nose. The higher you elevate the better! Hope it goes well. Keep us posted!

Old 01-08-2018, 06:16 PM   #3
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I have had one on both feet and walked from Day 1. If they don't do the graft, be sure to ask about exercises when the sutures come out. I truly believe that my compliance with that was what made mine so successful. Pull toe out and then up and down...many times a day. Really worked well when I took a hot bath and warmed the toe up

As for antibiotics, they are usually in your IV but they didn't give me any for after. I'm allergic to a great number of them so wouldn't have taken but it never came up. Both surgeons were sports med orthos

Last edited by Titchou; 01-08-2018 at 06:19 PM.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:36 PM   #4
JimB
(male)

JimB HB User

Thank you both very much. He didn't mention any exercises, but I'll ask him tomorrow. I had an IV antibiotic when I had my carpal tunnel relief surgery earlier in the year, so I'm thinking it is standard procedure. He did say that he would shoot me full of nerve blockers and that I may not need any pain meds, but I have them just in case. I'm not looking forward to two weeks with my foot elevated, but I guess I can binge watch my favorite shows. I hope it will be worth it. He is a highly-regarded surgeon who works with athletes, so fingers crossed.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:56 PM   #5
JimB
(male)

JimB HB User

I'm back home from my surgery. The doc was indeed adamant that I should exercise the toe immediately by pulling and flexing it up and down as much as I can for a minimum of 5 minutes 5 times per day or more. It is still pretty numb, so there's no post-op pain yet, although I'm taking 800 mg of ibuprofen to help with the swelling. So far, so good. I see him on Friday for a dressing change.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:48 PM   #6
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Good deal. Some let you do the exercises while you still have sutures and some don't...be sure to follow thru! Good luck.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:15 AM   #7
JimB
(male)

JimB HB User

Third day post-op. The doc changed the dressing and said everything looks good. I was surprised at how good the toe looks. There is very little swelling, and the color is good. He again emphasized the importance of daily exercises, moving the toe as far as I can. I never needed any of the hydrocodone pain meds, instead just taking a few 800mg ibuprofen to help with any swelling. There's virtually no soreness, and I expect to be able to drive in a few days.

I don't know why I delayed this surgery for so long. It was a piece of cake.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #8
Thislilpigg33
(female)

Thislilpigg33 HB UserThislilpigg33 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Third day post-op. The doc changed the dressing and said everything looks good. I was surprised at how good the toe looks. There is very little swelling, and the color is good. He again emphasized the importance of daily exercises, moving the toe as far as I can. I never needed any of the hydrocodone pain meds, instead just taking a few 800mg ibuprofen to help with any swelling. There's virtually no soreness, and I expect to be able to drive in a few days.

I don't know why I delayed this surgery for so long. It was a piece of cake.
That's awesome news! Glad it went and going well

Old 01-12-2018, 07:42 PM   #9
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Glad to hear! Both of mine were pretty easy too.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:44 AM   #10
JimB
(male)

JimB HB User

I've been religiously manipulating the toe up and down as instructed by the doc. I've noticed that when moving it down, the movement is not smooth but kinda like a 'ratchet' motion. As I push it down, there is some minor resistance that I can overcome by pushing a bit harder. This action repeats until I get to the limit of travel. It is as if the toe is moving through a series of detents instead of moving smoothly.

Does this seem normal or should I notify the doc about it?

Thanks!

Old 01-16-2018, 04:03 PM   #11
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

That's normal. What worked really,really well for me was warming the toe in a hot bath-which you can't do yet because of the sutures. But if you can find a way to warm up the toe before moving it, that could help. But once the sutures are out, hot bath is a great way.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #12
JimB
(male)

JimB HB User

Thanks for the confirmation. I did send the doc an email, and he replied that this is normal for this early in the recovery. I'm scheduled for the second post-op appointment on the 25th if this month. He originally said he would remove the sutures at that time, but told me on Friday that he may decide to leave them in a bit longer. I sure do have quite a bit of pain off-and-on, so I'm taking Norco 5/325 once in a while, and I'm still walking with a cane. I guess that's part of the recovery.

BTW, I'm curious on average how long do patients need to keep their foot elevated and iced? My doc originally told me it would be 2-3 weeks elevating for 23 hours out of 24 every day. This is hard to do, but I get close.

Last edited by JimB; 01-16-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #13
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Well, as you know, I didn't at all. I walked in a surgical shoe from day one. I think I had both done on Thursday or Friday and was only off work Monday and Tuesday of the following week. Even when I had one fused, I walked with an air cast and sometimes a surgical shoe from day 1. I iced for about 10 day but just with a frozen gel pack velcroed inside the boot/shoe. I really did not have any swelling and probably didn't take more than 10 pain pills total with both cheilectomies....but I have a high pain threshhold.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:48 PM   #14
JimB
(male)

JimB HB User

Thanks. I really wonder whether I need to continue with the elevation. When he changed the dressing on Friday, I didn't see any swelling at all, and he remarked that he could see that I was following his instructions. I think I'll ask him about that. I don't feel like I want to drive or ride the bike just yet, but I'd like to take care of some tasks around the house. I have some pain on the top of the toe at the incision site, so I'm not ready for street shoes yet. The post-op shoe is pretty durable, so I don't mind wearing it.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:08 AM   #15
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

The pain on top is probably the incision healing and making the sutures pull. I hated that feeling with all 5 surgeries. Icky feeling to me....I sure hope I'm done with foot surgeries!

Reply Reply