It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Calcaneus 6 weeks out

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2018, 02:30 PM   #1
DavinaD
(female)

DavinaD HB User
Calcaneus 6 weeks out

To all those who took the time to share their experiences and offer advice on this board, thank you. There truly is a wealth of knowledge here and I am better off for their generousity.

Here is my intro..fell down a couple of flights of steps the middle of November, followed by a Steptis infection, then surgery, calcaneus fracture ORIF. I am 7 weeks out and beginning the journey of weightbearing. I have to admit that I was hesitant at first because the outside of my ankle, at the location of the scar, throbs and is still swollen but reading some older posts they claim this is normal. I walked, albeit jerky, very slowly in the boot with both crutches yesterday. Today I am still walking very slowly and jerky but using a single crutch. The exercises seem to drain me the most.

I am to begin PT at week 8, next week. Did anyone use a pool during PT and, if so, how important was it to your healing? At what week, approximately, was the pool used? I am finding it difficult to locate a PT with a pool and I do not know if I actually need one.

The surgeon was serious about wearing a running shoe next week, week 8. Is that not quite early in the process? Does anyone have some advice on running shoes? Previous posts indicate a Sketchers, but no one currently makes the recommended style. I am not a runner so any advice on what I should look for is appreciated.

Thanks for reading and hopefully offering some advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2018, 02:35 AM   #2
Disco10
(male)

Disco10 HB User
Re: Calcaneus 6 weeks out

Hi DavinaD, glad to hear your on the weight bearing journey, I too was told to start at 8 weeks and also thought this was early as some Iíve read start at 12 weeks and some more, I did six weeks of hydro therapy in the pool , found it nice at the time being in a warm pool but like all physio you suffer the next day , just make sure you donít over do it in the pool as you will think you can do more due to your lowered body weight,
If you canít find a hydro pool I suppose a local pool would do if you could find out The excercises you need to do ,just wonít be as warm!! , This can be a painful time so chin up and dig in ,keep the thought of walking again in mind, Little steps ! Good luck from here on

Old 01-14-2018, 03:55 PM   #3
PJ3275
(male)

PJ3275 HB User
Re: Calcaneus 6 weeks out

My surgeon cleared me to start swimming as soon as my surgical incisions healed, which was while I was still NWB. I had bilateral calcaneus fractures and the pool I used had a sweet water wheelchair and ramp. I just made sure not to put me feet on the bottom of the pool. I did traditional swimming and aqua jogging with a foam belt in the deep-end. I think both were extremely beneficial for cardiovascular endurance, ankle ROM, and lower body strength training, which probably helped quite a bit once I was FWB. I was weight-bearing at 12 weeks and started walking in the tread pool, I thought it was helpful, but once I could walk normal(ish) without crutches I stopped using it.

Shoes: I like the brand Hoka one one. I used them before my injury as well. They have a lot of cushion and a rockered sole which helps you walk with the dorsiflexion deficit. They are also zero-drop which puts the foot in a more natural position. I recently switched to Altra shoes because they have a wider toe box, no rockered sole and less cushion, which I prefer.

Good luck with your recovery.

Reply Reply