It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Dorsiflexion after ankle surgery?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-19-2018, 10:12 AM   #1
    Dunkerguy89
    (male)

Dunkerguy89 HB User
    Dorsiflexion after ankle surgery?

Hi All,

Quick background - I'm a 24 year old male who twisted my ankle pretty badly playing basketball March 2014. Eventually my foot healed but it never felt 'quite' right after the first year. There was pain in the dorsiflexion motion but could walk/run without a limp + discomfort when playing basketball for too long. My explosiveness on the court seemed to be wading also and that's when I knew something had to give. Went to an orthopedic surgeon...got xrays, MRI, and ultrasound on my foot...let's just say the damage was somewhat extensive!

Basically I had a completely torn ATFL, a tarsal coalition, bone spurs, and OCD of the talus. Since it had been so long since the injury and we pretty much tried conservative options..doc said he can go in and fix all of it or I can just live with it. The procedure would be part arthroscopic/open. He'd clean the extra debris floating around + shave down the spurs while repairing the torn ligament and filling the hole in my cartilage. He basically poked a bunch of holes in it and let the (low) blood flow start and then put diced up pieces of cadaver tissue in to replace it to hopefully promote healing. I opted for surgery back in March 2017 and wanted to let you guys know where I am at.

Let me start off saying I would consider my surgery a success. The pain that I had pre surgery is completely 100% gone and that was a big concern of mine. I was 8 weeks NWB and went through PT for about 8 weeks. I started playing basketball again 5v5 in July 2017 (4 months post) with the OK from surgeon + therapist. Of course I was a little sore getting back into it but that was expected and every month I had significant improvements.

The only issue now is my dorsiflexion...I'm still somewhat limited there. When I do a knee to wall test, I cant get my knee past my toes...not even close. I stretch my calf for a little bit and work the motion and after about 5 minutes I can successfully go knee to wall with not too much resistance. If I sit down in about 5-10 minutes my ankle will stiffen right back up. I've expressed this to my doctor and for whatever reason he doesn't seem too concerned and just says keep stretching it everyday....sometimes it just takes people longer to get that back. It's just a little discouraging as it feels I'm not making much progress in that area especially being almost a year out.

Other than that I can pretty much run walk climb whatever for as long as I want with (slight) soreness the next day but it isn't enough to cause any limp or stop myself from play if I REALLY wanted to on back to back days.

The only question I have for everyone is how long did it take for dorsiflexion to return? Do you think that is lacking from the OCD repair? Feel free to ask me anything as well because I'm sure I left something out!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
    greatoutlook
    (female)

greatoutlook HB Usergreatoutlook HB User
    Re: Dorsiflexion after ankle surgery?

I fell the dorsiflexion is the toughest part to get back. After I broke my ankle 12 years ago I have had 4 surgeries the last an ankle replacement. I was hoping for great range of motions but still working on that. I had a similar surgery with the OCD and donor bone chips that was successful but I had a hole in the bottom and top of ankle. I used synvisc injections that worked till recently. I would try to get a good PT and see if they could break up any scar tissue and work on the dorsiflexion.

Reply Reply

Tags
    ankle, dorsiflexion, ocd