It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Both feet bunions

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-19-2018, 02:51 AM   #1
    marseille
    (male)

marseille HB User
    Both feet bunions

Hi, I am 57 years old female and have severe bunions in both feet. I was a professional dancer and my podiatrist told me that I had the dangerous combination of "very strong and very flexible" feet. Meaning, I danced on them alot because they were strong, and I wanted them to be flexible and they were -- and now the soft tissue is not supporting the bones staying in place. Along with the genetic pre-dilection (my grandmothers both had bunions), and a broken metatarsal two years ago -- my feet are a mess. The surgeon I just consulted with told me that I would have to have my big toe joint fused, as well as possible another joint higher up on the foot. I am terrified of this -- I can't imagine how you can walk well at all with a fused big toe joint. My surgeon said that people walk on the side of their foot and take short steps. This sounds like signing on for being crippled... which seems like madness. The surgeon says that if I don't do it, eventually the bone will go right through the skin. I am hoping that someone out there who has had the big toe joint fused can let me know how it went, what your mobility is like, what the pain element has been.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2018, 06:55 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Both feet bunions

Dear marseille,

I'm so sorry this happened to you!
    I can imagine how tragic that announcement is for you as a dancer. I was a dancer before one of my legs was shattered in a motorcycle accident at age 17.

I suggest in non-emergencies that you get several other opinions from other types of doctor-surgeons about what can be done for you. No matter how you trust this doctor, others have different ideas and skill sets.

Love,

Old 05-19-2018, 08:11 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Both feet bunions

I've had a big toe fusion. So my first recommendation is to RUN from that surgeon!!! If he doesn't know more than that about a fusion, he shouldn't be doing them. There is a pro tennis player who had his fused so obviously you can do better than walk on the side of your foot -which will cause stress fractures anyway.

Next, find an ortho surgeon who is Foot & Ankle Board certified and preferably in a sports med practice. They fuse the big joint at the foot.The end joint still moves. It is fused at an angle where it sticks up just enough that you can roll off it when you walk. the standard angle would allow you to wear a kitten heel. Since I wanted to wear a 2" heel and shoes with more pointed toes, mine was fused at a tighter angle and to the side so I could wear a more pointed toe. Other than having to compensate when i squat down or stand on tiptoes to reach something, I don't have any issues. I will tell you that the hardware they use to hold it in place while fusing can be an issue. I had to have it all removed once a year was up and it was properly fused. My surgeon told me that it sometimes happens with women as our feet are smaller. Hope this helps!

Reply Reply

Tags
    bunions, feet, metatarsal