It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Surgery or not? Peroneal brevis tear and old ATFL ligament injury

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #1
    ballerina26
    (female)

ballerina26 HB User
    Surgery or not? Peroneal brevis tear and old ATFL ligament injury

I broke my ankle 8 years ago but since then I have not had any problems with instability and I do just fine in running and dance.

I started having peroneal tendon problems 6 months ago because I was recommended a pair of high arch supports at a running store that forced my foot onto the outer edges. It wasn't painful and I kept running on it for a long time.

I recently saw an orthopaedist and got an MRI and ultrasounds but the results seem to be conflicting. The MRI shows I have a tear in the peroneal brevis and the ultrasound says it's only tenosynovitis.

My ATFL must have been torn from my previous fracture but a physical therapist mentioned to me that there is no need for surgery unless you have chronic instability.

I'm afraid my surgeon rushed into the decision to repair my ATFL and the peroneal tendons in one surgery even though it might not be necessary.

I'm 25 years old and my job is fairly active so my life and source of income would be affected if I made the wrong decision.

So far the plan the surgeon has told me involved a Brostrom Gould and a peroneal tendon repair and the post-op plan would be 2 weeks NWB and 4 weeks in a boot. It doesn't sound too terrible but from what I've read online it seems like the recovery can be quite long and can cause complications that lead to more surgeries.

Has anyone ever considered ATLF ligament repair and did you get the surgery as a preventive measure or because it was causing you problems? The doctor also mentioned if I don't get the surgery now I would have more problems later and require a more invasive surgery which scared me and now I'm leaning towards just doing it to get it over with.

For people who have had experiences with ankle injury, do you think it would be a good idea to get ATFL repair on an ankle when I generally have full function and good balance or should I talk to the surgeon and say I only want my tendons repaired and not the ligaments?

Thanks for your help! This would be my first surgery so I'm having a lot of anxiety.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2018, 04:58 PM   #2
    FlatFootTeacher
    (female)

FlatFootTeacher HB User
    Re: Surgery or not? Peroneal brevis tear and old ATFL ligament injury

How much pain are you in? Your pain should be the deciding factor for you. I too have a torn peroneal brevis tendon (not the ATFL though). I tried a *** shot to repair the tendon, and I guess I would say it kinda helped, but didnít completely heal the tendon. My pain since the *** is not too bad. On days I walk a lot, then yes, it hurts more. But surgery is no guarantee to stop the pain. When trying to decide to have surgery or not, my doctor explained to me that if you are in a lot of pain, then surgery can help a lot, and if you are in pain that isnít too bad, then the surgery may not help that much. I asked my doc if I would be making things worse if I wait to repair the tendon, and he said no. Yes, it may tear more, but he has fixed little bitty tears that have caused a great deal of pain, and big tears that didnít cause much pain. He told me that it really is up to me and my pain level. He is good with surgery and good with not doing surgery. So, for me, I decided to wait until the pain is bad enough to really effect my day to day life before I do the surgery. Good luck with your decision.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:10 PM   #3
    ballerina26
    (female)

ballerina26 HB User
    Re: Surgery or not? Peroneal brevis tear and old ATFL ligament injury

My pain level is pretty low most days. My main symptom from the peroneal tendons is that the bottom of my foot feels stiff and the tendons kind of snap over each other when I do an ankle circle. For a while it suddenly hurt to point the foot or do a calf raise but that faded and now it's just back to stiffness.

If it wasn't that I had MRI results telling me of the tear I would probably be fine with running on it. The surgeon I met with is usually pretty conservative but he seems to think I would benefit from the surgery so I think I'll try to schedule another appointment so I can really discuss my symptoms.

Thanks for your help! Hopefully your tendon heals up and you won't be needing surgery!

Reply Reply

Tags
    ankle