It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

flat foot surgery

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-02-2018, 11:26 AM   #31
dsheree2424
(female)

dsheree2424 HB Userdsheree2424 HB Userdsheree2424 HB User
Re: flat foot surgery

Almanor - I'm glad to know you are doing ok. Keep your eye on the prize and remember it will get better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2018, 08:52 PM   #32
Almanor
(female)

Almanor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsheree2424 View Post
Almanor - I'm glad to know you are doing ok. Keep your eye on the prize and remember it will get better.
Thanks!
😁

Old 10-03-2018, 06:39 PM   #33
TJ618
(female)

TJ618 HB User

Almanor it sounds like everything is moving along very well! I’m so thrilled that you are feeling good and that your 2 week appt went so smoothly 👌
Are you getting some swelling now that the cast was changed? If so, remember how important elevating and icing are in this process.
How are you doing moving around in your home? Has all of your pre surgery preparation been working out for you?
I am doing well. It is a slow process, much slower than I want it to be. But I keep reminding myself that I my foot is doing a little better every day. Actually, I am trying to do as dsheree said- keeping my eye on that prize of totally functional foot/ankle, without the pain🤩

Old 10-04-2018, 11:31 AM   #34
Almanor
(female)

Almanor HB User

[QUOTE=TJ618;5489204]Almanor it sounds like everything is moving along very well! I’m so thrilled that you are feeling good and that your 2 week appt went so smoothly 👌
Are you getting some swelling now that the cast was changed? If so, remember how important elevating and icing are in this process.
How are you doing moving around in your home? Has all of your pre surgery preparation been working out for you?
I am doing well. It is a slow process, much slower than I want it to be. But I keep reminding myself that I my foot is doing a little better every day. Actually, I am trying to do as dsheree said- keeping my eye on that prize of totally functional foot/ankle, without the pain🤩[/QUOTE
Hi TJ618,
Yes, I have swelling with the new cast and am spending most of my time on my back with my foot elevated. Didn't have to do this quite so much when I had the tendon transfer only. It is getting a little old but I'm focusing on the end result. All my prep work has come in handy. Being alone has been ok, but I sure think ahead and make sure my trip to wherever I am headed takes care of several things...laundry basket, bathroom, kitchen. It's been hard on my shin and shoulders.
Glad to hear you are feeling a little better with each day. I guess patience is the name of this game. 😁

Old 10-05-2018, 08:19 PM   #35
TJ618
(female)

TJ618 HB User

Almanor, laying on your back with foot elevated all of the time doesn’t just get old.... it stinks!!! Sometimes I felt like I was ready to jump out of my skin🤨 But, it does get better. It definitely gets better.
When I was sick of doing nothing ( pretty much everyday) I tried to keep my mind occupied with plans for future activities, travel, or just organizing my to-do lists for things I needed to do/could do for family members in the upcoming weeks. While I couldn’t run errands or go places, I could make phone calls, check out things online, read about current events, shop online for birthday and Christmas gifts, research physical therapists in my town, read about different athletic shoes that might work for my new foot once I was ready to walk, etc.
I definitely made use of my computer to access the “outside” world
I understand about it being tough on your shin and shoulders. It is crazy what a toll this surgery and recovery takes on your body. Have you thought about getting a massage? Getting there might take some planning or help from friends...but it might be totally worth it!

Old 10-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #36
dsheree2424
(female)

Almanor
How are ya doing this week? I have 7.5 days until I can give up my scooter and walk in a boot. I'm thrilled because I have lost all patience with round of surgery and need to go to the next step before I cut the foot off LOL.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-11-2018 at 04:50 PM.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #37
Almanor
(female)

Almanor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ618 View Post
Almanor, laying on your back with foot elevated all of the time doesn’t just get old.... it stinks!!! Sometimes I felt like I was ready to jump out of my skin🤨 But, it does get better. It definitely gets better.
When I was sick of doing nothing ( pretty much everyday) I tried to keep my mind occupied with plans for future activities, travel, or just organizing my to-do lists for things I needed to do/could do for family members in the upcoming weeks. While I couldn’t run errands or go places, I could make phone calls, check out things online, read about current events, shop online for birthday and Christmas gifts, research physical therapists in my town, read about different athletic shoes that might work for my new foot once I was ready to walk, etc.
I definitely made use of my computer to access the “outside” world
I understand about it being tough on your shin and shoulders. It is crazy what a toll this surgery and recovery takes on your body. Have you thought about getting a massage? Getting there might take some planning or help from friends...but it might be totally worth it!
Hi tj618. What did you find in the way of shoes? I'm wondering if my foot will fit into anything I've got now. It's going to be rough, shoe shopping in a boot and having to have someone take me. I guess I didn't think this part through before my surgery.😞

Old 10-10-2018, 01:37 PM   #38
dsheree2424
(female)

A- Family will be a nice break for you. Ask them to do anything and everything you can while they are there. Shoes: take your old tennis shoes and remove the insert. You don't want to buy new bigger shoes. As soon as you start walking on the foot the swelling will go down pretty fast. I also purchase socks so that I could cut the sides of them to make them bigger so they wouldn't rub on my scars.

The Following User Says Thank You to dsheree2424 For This Useful Post:
Almanor (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #39
Almanor
(female)

Almanor HB User

Thanks! I already was buying a bigger shoe size because I was having to wear a brace, so good to know that I probably won't have to buy new shoes.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #40
TJ618
(female)

TJ618 HB User

Hi Almanor
for sure take advantage of having your sister and friends around. Ask them to do anything you can think of that can help you out, especially running around to stores etc.
Shoes- I am wearing the same size as before surgery. It definitely was a tight squeeze at first...and I left laces very loose. I pretty much exclusively wear athletic shoes, except for a couple of days in past week when I wore a sturdy type of dress shoe. I did buy new athletic shoes because my old pair were pretty worn, and I didn’t want to put my “new foot” in my old shoe that was ‘ molded’ for my pre surgery flat foot. I wanted to give my new arch good support. I bought my shoes online after reading about lots of different kinds. I actually bought 2 pairs because I wanted one pair to wear in the house too. I actually wear shoes pretty much all the time because my foot feels better with that support.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-11-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:45 PM   #41
TJ618
(female)

TJ618 HB User

Oh, forgot to mention, one thing that has really helped with the swelling is wearing compression stockings. I have the heavy duty surgical compression ones...and they work great! You need a Dr. prescription for them...and they are rather pricey, but I wear them everyday now and it makes a huge difference with the swelling and overall comfort.
And when you can start PT, find a good one! I can’t say enough about what a difference doing a solid PT program, specific to my individual needs, is making in my progress. My hips, knees, ankle foot and toes were so out of wack from being in a boot/cast for 5-6 months! I am so fortunate to have a PT who recognizes all of the incorrect compensatory movements I have been using due to pain avoidance, and is diligently working with my muscles, tendons, joints and bones to help me to correct my misaligned body and unlearn the bad movement patterns I now have ��. Do your PT everyday!!!

Old 10-11-2018, 08:02 AM   #42
Almanor
(female)

Almanor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ618 View Post
Oh, forgot to mention, one thing that has really helped with the swelling is wearing compression stockings. I have the heavy duty surgical compression ones...and they work great! You need a Dr. prescription for them...and they are rather pricey, but I wear them everyday now and it makes a huge difference with the swelling and overall comfort.
And when you can start PT, find a good one! I can’t say enough about what a difference doing a solid PT program, specific to my individual needs, is making in my progress. My hips, knees, ankle foot and toes were so out of wack from being in a boot/cast for 5-6 months! I am so fortunate to have a PT who recognizes all of the incorrect compensatory movements I have been using due to pain avoidance, and is diligently working with my muscles, tendons, joints and bones to help me to correct my misaligned body and unlearn the bad movement patterns I now have ��. Do your PT everyday!!!
Thanks for all the tips. As I mentioned previously, my Dr hasn't said that I will necessarily need PT. He kind of said that will be determined once I start walking. I might just insist on it.

Reply Reply