It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

flat foot surgery

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2018, 09:38 AM   #1
Almanor
(female)

Almanor HB User
flat foot surgery

I am going to have a lengthening calcaneal osteotomy followed by a cotton cuneiform osteotomy to correct my flat foot.

I am 70 years old and live alone. I understand that I will be non weight bearing for 8 weeks. I am most afraid of the pain in the first week. This will be an outpatient procedure. I had tendon transfer surgery 4 years ago and was given oxycodone for pain. While it relieved the pain, it made me light headed and nauseous.

Any suggestions for a pain reliever and is this procedure any more painful than the tendon transfer surgery? Thanks for any help and suggestions. Scared.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
TJ618
(female)

TJ618 HB User
Re: flat foot surgery

Hi. I want to give you some positive hope Almanor!
I too got light headed and nauseous from the oxycodone which was prescribed for me following surgery. My Dr. prescribed Zofran for these symptoms, and it worked well! Try asking your Dr. for something to stop the nausea, because you will need to take your pain meds.

As for if the level of pain will be greater for the osteotomies than the FDL transfer, I had both the medializing and lengthening cancaneal osteotomies along with the tendon transfer and I honestly wasnít in a great deal of pain after the 2nd day! Like you, I was very worried about the possible level of pain, especially because I had read far more posts talking about pretty significant pain. While everybody is different when it comes to pain, I just want to give you hope that having easy to deal with pain is a possibility following this surgery! I took pain meds every 4 hours for the first 36 hours, then was able to cut it in half for the next 24 hours, then was just able to take 650 mg. of over the counter acetaminophen every 6 hours. By day 5 following surgery, I was no longer taking any medicine for pain! So please, have hope that your upcoming surgery might be not as painful as you are fearing.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:36 PM   #3
Almanor
(female)

Almanor HB User
Smile Re: flat foot surgery

Thank you so much for the positive comments! Yes, I was also worried after reading some of the posts regarding pain. I will ask my doctor about Zofran.

How long ago was your surgery? Are you glad you did it and how is your foot feeling now? Any pain? Do you need to wear orthotics or a brace of any kind? Right now I am having to wear a brace.

Thanks so much for responding.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-03-2018 at 08:05 AM.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:49 PM   #4
TJ618
(female)

TJ618 HB User

I am now 2 weeks post surgery, so still at beginning of this journey:/ I am not really in any pain right now. I do get ďtwitchesĒ and periodic feelings similar to a quick little zap/shock where my incisions are, but they havenít been painful, just more like getting my attention. I have been following everybodyís recommendations to elevate and ice, toes above my nose, pretty much all the time, which I am sure has been a big factor in my lesser amount of pain. Very thankful for all the advice posted on these boards!
I am glad I did it because I was in a lot of pain all of the time- walking, standing, laying down, always some level of pain. I have flat feet, have been a runner and then a consistent walker for most of my adult life- until my Posterior tibial tendon ruptured and I made it worse by ignoring it for about 5 months I didnít wear a brace but I wore a boot for 6 weeks prior to my surgery. I had custom made orthotic inserts for 10 years prior to surgery, and my surgeon said I will need new ones later.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:03 PM   #5
TJ618
(female)

TJ618 HB User

Forgot to ask, when is your surgery scheduled Almanor? I know you said you live alone, but will you have help immediately following your surgery? If at all possible, I strongly suggest you have someone(s) available in your home to assist you. I canít imagine trying to handle those first several days without someone to help me, especially when the pain meds made me feel weak, sleepy, nauseated and very unsteady.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:30 AM   #6
Almanor
(female)

Almanor HB User

Well it sounds like you are doing pretty well. On Oxycodone and Zofran? I hope I do as well as you! My surgery is going to be in Sept. Don't have a date yet. Yes, I live alone but my sister will be with me the first 3-4 days, then I will be on my own.
I hope you will continue to heal without little pain. I hope we can keep in touch. I would like to hear if you feel it has been worth it. I'm sure hoping so. My quality of life has sure been diminished because of my foot and it has affected my deteriorating back, so I am hoping for good results.

Happy 4th of July!

Old 07-03-2018, 08:31 AM   #7
Almanor
(female)

Almanor HB User

Was your surgery "out patient" or did you spend some time in the hospital?

Old 07-03-2018, 03:33 PM   #8
TJ618
(female)

TJ618 HB User

My surgery was outpatient. I was pretty nervous about that too, kept worrying that maybe I should have it in hospital. But my surgeon was pretty positive that having it outpatient was way to go. She did arrange for me to connect with a couple of other patients who she had done similar surgery on, outpatient, in past year. Both were around my age. It was very reassuring to talk to them. Maybe you can ask your doctor about talking with some of his/her similar surgery patients too!
Another thing regarding the pain issue; I did ask to have a nerve block, which is something that I read about here in previous posts. The block is to assist in controlling post surgery pain as anesthesia wears off. It really worked well for me...so maybe discuss this with your doctor and then with the anesthesiologist as well
I am so glad to hear that your sister will be able to stay with you! With a September surgery date you will have time to enjoy the summer and be somewhat mobile, while also having time to prepare for being non-weight bearing. There is an excellent post at top of the page regarding suggestions for preparing for the NWB time period. If you havenít looked at it you need to check it out. It was invaluable in helping me prepare ahead of surgery.
I am sorry to hear how your foot is negatively impacting your life....and I completely get it. Hang in there and keep in touch.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:54 AM   #9
Almanor
(female)

Almanor HB User
Thumbs up Re: flat foot surgery

Thanks TJ618. I will ask my doctor for names of other patients he has done this on. He has already told me that he will be giving me a nerve block. Not sure how long that's supposed to last though.

I think worrying about it beforehand is probably the worst, so I am trying not to.

Hope you are feeling better each day!

Old 07-04-2018, 07:56 PM   #10
Pheslie
(female)

Pheslie HB UserPheslie HB User

Do you have a knee scooter?

Old 07-05-2018, 07:52 AM   #11
Almanor
(female)

Almanor HB User

I have a 4 wheel walker that I can put my knee on and then also turn around and use the seat if I have to sit.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:41 AM   #12
Almanor
(female)

Almanor HB User

Hi! I'm just wondering how you are doing with your recovery? Well, I hope.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:54 AM   #13
TJ618
(female)

TJ618 HB User

Hi Almanor. I just went into dr. this morning to get rest of the staples taken out. Dr. very pleased with how my incisions look and at how very little swelling I have, and so am I!
I am now 4 weeks post op and continue to be NWB. I am in a boot and now I can remove it and shower with my leg uncovered as my incisions are closed. I continue to have no pain. I do have periodic nerve twinges...little zaps in my foot in different locations. Canít say that it hurts, more like they remind me I had major foot surgery.
How are you doing with the anticipation of your upcoming surgery?

Old 07-17-2018, 04:34 PM   #14
DAWN537464
(female)

DAWN537464 HB UserDAWN537464 HB UserDAWN537464 HB UserDAWN537464 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almanor View Post
Was your surgery "out patient" or did you spend some time in the hospital?
I have now had flat foot surgery on both feet, the first one two years ago and the second April 24. I had the column lengthening you mentioned, tendon transfers, and one achilles lengthening on left and one gastroc release on the right. For the first foot I stayed over night in hospital for two nights. Unpleasant. You get very little rest in the hospital because it's noisy and they wake you up every few hours. The second foot, a few months ago, it was outpatient surgery, and for me that was a far better experience. I chose a different surgeon for the second foot, and I was home by 2 in the afternoon. My pain both times was well managed with the nerve block and then percocet for a few days. The day of I was home and in bed elevating long before the nerve block wore off. I have been through this twice and can say that both times the pain is not as bad as I feared. I hope to be cleared to lose the boot and start walking in a shoe tomorrow! THAT is when the real pain begins. At least that's my experience from the last time.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:08 PM   #15
Almanor
(female)

Almanor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ618 View Post
Hi Almanor. I just went into dr. this morning to get rest of the staples taken out. Dr. very pleased with how my incisions look and at how very little swelling I have, and so am I!
I am now 4 weeks post op and continue to be NWB. I am in a boot and now I can remove it and shower with my leg uncovered as my incisions are closed. I continue to have no pain. I do have periodic nerve twinges...little zaps in my foot in different locations. Canít say that it hurts, more like they remind me I had major foot surgery.
How are you doing with the anticipation of your upcoming surgery?

Reply Reply