It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Flat foot reconstruction surgery

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-02-2018, 06:36 PM   #1
Lortiz30
(female)

Lortiz30 HB User
Flat foot reconstruction surgery

Hi,
I am going into surgery to reconstruct the arch on my foot. I am very terrified of getting the surgery because I am afraid of long term complications. I had suffered from pain in my ankles all my life and about 4 months ago I injured my foot going down stairs ever since the pain has been unbearable! I canít walk for long distance and or stand for very long without having to sit or take a break. What I am most concern about it the recovery part. Is there anyone who has had the surgery that can shed some light on their recovery process? Were there any complications? What was the worse thing about recovery? How long does it take before you start walking normal? And were you able to return to normal life (running/exercise) I am a reserve police officer and I need to be able to stay active and run so this is why I am very concerned about surgery. If anyone can give me some hope that I will be able to return to my normal life and give me advice on what to expect I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
Georgia chicken
(female)

Georgia chicken HB User
Re: Flat foot reconstruction surgery

Surgery on the ankle is not a quick return to standing and walking. Your entire body weight goes onto your ankle which is a complex structure of bones, tendons and ligaments. The exact problem and corrective procedures will vary according to your problem. I put off having the surgery for more than 10 year because of the fear. I finally had it the past January. I was 73 by then. Age was not helpful Recovery was slow and frustrating. However, it is so wonderful to be able to walk and dance with absolutely NO pain! There was additional work that needed to be done because I had put the surgery off for so long. I had to have the posterior tibial joint fused.
One of my problems, however, was caused by the cast being too tight. The immediate post-surgery plaster cast is supposed to be split to allow the cast to expand as your ankle swells. My cast only was cut part way through so it could not expand. This caused a great deal of pain and I believe that it also delayed healing and caused the nerve damage on top of my foot. I didn't know how much pain to expect, so I just thought it was normal. And the nurses were told not to unwrap the elastic bandage to check the cast.

It took me 3 moths before I was able to bear a lot of weight. Even then it was painful. It was probably 5 months before I could walk anywhere near normally. Even then there was some pain and swelling. However, now I can walk all I want and square dance without pain. That is absolutely worth it. So I would advise not putting it off. Realize that recovery is slow. It takes time for the muscles, tendons and bones to heal enough to take all the abuse that feet take. But the problem won't heal by putting off the surgery. It will only get worse. I tried many types of braces and supports. They never take care of the real problem.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:09 PM   #3
DAWN537464
(female)

DAWN537464 HB UserDAWN537464 HB UserDAWN537464 HB UserDAWN537464 HB User

As Georgia Chicken mentioned, age is a factor among other variables that determine your recovery. It's not easy, that's for SURE, but I've done it twice now. The first time the post op pain was a breeze and the weight bearing and walking was a NIGHTMARE. The second time the post op pain was a bit worse (well managed with meds though) and I have only been trying to walk for three or four weeks now. I do not walk normal by any means and it's painful. When your doctor tells you it's a year recovery, that's the truth

Old 08-07-2018, 01:44 PM   #4
Lortiz30
(female)

Lortiz30 HB User

Thanks for the advice I went ahead and got my surgery yesterday and so far itís been going well I donít have pain or anything and have been walking with crutches when I need to. Itís really helpful finding other people who have and are going through similar experiences.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #5
dsheree2424
(female)

dsheree2424 HB Userdsheree2424 HB User

I'm not sure what kind of surgery you had but if it is anything like mine I can give you all the scoop because I just had one done in Feb & the other is scheduled for Sept.

I had my ankle broken and replaced, tendons moved for my arch and Achilles stretched. I was 6 weeks no weight 6 weeks in a boot and now it is 6 months and I could run but I don't like to do that...ever had. It still causes me some issues but not too much. I've been told it sometimes takes your foot 1 to 1.5 years to fully recover from major surgery. Again, not trying to scare you because I don't know what you had done.

Tips: get a knee scooter, start PT the day doc releases you to do so, follow directions and don't try to Super Women it like I did at first, shower stools are a wonderful thing.

Ask me any questions you want....until Sept 7 when my next surgery is.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:34 PM   #6
Lortiz30
(female)

Lortiz30 HB User

I had to get my accessory navicular bone taken off had to get my tendon reattached and the dr had to reconstruct a new arch for me. There was a lot to do with my foot, I basically was given a whole new foot.
Right now I am in crutches and walking like that but man that is very tiring I might have to get a knee scooter to help.
What type of issues do you still have? Are you glad you had the first surgery?
One thing I am having trouble with is laying down to sleep I normally sleep on my stomach but right now I have been trying to lay face up which is really hard did you use pillows or something special to help while you sleep? One more thing, how long did you have pain for? Was it for weeks or was it just initially after the surgery following with a few more days? I canít imagine being in constant pain for 6-12 weeks

Last edited by Lortiz30; 08-08-2018 at 05:10 PM.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:28 PM   #7
DAWN537464
(female)

DAWN537464 HB UserDAWN537464 HB UserDAWN537464 HB UserDAWN537464 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lortiz30 View Post
I had to get my accessory navicular bone taken off had to get my tendon reattached and the dr had to reconstruct a new arch for me. There was a lot to do with my foot, I basically was given a whole new foot.
Right now I am in crutches and walking like that but man that is very tiring I might have to get a knee scooter to help.
What type of issues do you still have? Are you glad you had the first surgery?
One thing I am having trouble with is laying down to sleep I normally sleep on my stomach but right now I have been trying to lay face up which is really hard did you use pillows or something special to help while you sleep? One more thing, how long did you have pain for? Was it for weeks or was it just initially after the surgery following with a few more days? I canít imagine being in constant pain for 6-12 weeks
Get a knee scooter. You'll get around MUCH faster and have a basket to transport things. I had some pain here and there for up to three weeks but not too bad at all.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:43 PM   #8
dsheree2424
(female)

Are you male or female? I ask because of how the anistia might affect you. That along with everything else it did a number on my mind set and hormones. I cried like a baby at the littlest things and I am not a crier. My research is it is worst on women and it can last 30-60 days.

Pain. I have a high pain tolerance. Pretty bad the first couple weeks and after that was just very uncomfortable. Keep it up and don't let the blood rush it doesn't hurt as much. Take your pain pills like doc says. It is still uncomfortable at times but doesn't hurt like it did before surgery. Now once you start PT and walking on it it will hurt again but in a different way.

Sleeping. I am a stomach sleeper so I would prop my foot up and make a little valley for it so I didn't roll over. I put pillows all around me. Only used a sheet over my foot and kinda tucked it in. Pain pill and I was good. I couldn't really move much. When I got my boot I didn't have to sleep in it so I would put a couple pillows at the foot of the bed and hang my foot off it when on my tummy.

Ask around and see if someone has a knee scooter you can borrow. It is a life saver.

When I go into the doc's office I look at the people in the waiting room. Foot bandaged, knee scooter, greasy hair from not showering.... I make it a point to stop and tell them one very important thing.... IT WILL GET BETTER. I know it doesn't seem like it but it will.

Would I do it again? Doc says I can't stop at one foot because it will jack up the rest of my body so at this point I don't have an option. But so far I would say yes. As me again in a year hahaha. I'm not in constant pain when I walk anymore. My knee and hip feel better too. (With that new arch your knee and hip have to find it's new groove and that is uncomfortable too.) Honestly the hardest part for me is everyone having to wait on me hand and foot for so long and surgery #2 is the driving foot which is going to kill me emotionally. But that too will pass.

Remember.... it will get better.

Oh and concentrating was hard for me for about 3 weeks. Starting week 4 it was better.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:47 AM   #9
Lortiz30
(female)

Lortiz30 HB User

I am a 26yr old female, Itís my 3rd day after surgery and first two days were fine I couldnít feel any pain since I got a nerve blocker however today that wore off and the pain was pretty bad, I tried taking Ibuprophen as well as Vicodin for the pain but none of it seem to help. I must admit I try to just toughen it out and deal with the pain because I donít want to use much medication. I have been in crutches and thatís pretty difficult as well Iím definitely going to look into getting a scooter. How did you do to shower? Did you have help or did you shower by yourself? I was able to get a chair in and just shower that way by myself again Iím trying to be as independent as I possibly can but if you have advice on ways to shower or what helped you that would be awesome. I didnít think it would be hard but boy was it.
Thanks again for the encouragement it really seems like Iím gonna be stuck in this pain forever but I know I just have to wait and give it time.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-09-2018 at 03:05 AM.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:31 AM   #10
dsheree2424
(female)

Take your meds. At least for the first couple weeks try to be tough you're not going anywhere so you might as well just sit back and try to enjoy the best you can. As far as the shower my husband would help me but we had a walk-in so it made it a little easier. Baby wipes and dry shampoo is going to be your friend for the first two weeks. But just taking a shower will wear you out for a while. You'll find your routine.
And give up that Independence for now because it just makes it harder and will wear you out faster.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:45 AM   #11
TJ618
(female)

TJ618 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lortiz30 View Post
I am a 26yr old female, Itís my 3rd day after surgery and first two days were fine I couldnít feel any pain since I got a nerve blocker however today that wore off and the pain was pretty bad, I tried taking Ibuprophen as well as Vicodin for the pain but none of it seem to help. I must admit I try to just toughen it out and deal with the pain because I donít want to use much medication. I have been in crutches and thatís pretty difficult as well Iím definitely going to look into getting a scooter. How did you do to shower? Did you have help or did you shower by yourself? I was able to get a chair in and just shower that way by myself again Iím trying to be as independent as I possibly can but if you have advice on ways to shower or what helped you that would be awesome. I didnít think it would be hard but boy was it.
Thanks again for the encouragement it really seems like Iím gonna be stuck in this pain forever but I know I just have to wait and give it time.
Hi Lortiz. I too just recently had reconstructive foot surgery, on a June 18í so itís been about 7.5 weeks now. I agree with desheree- try to stay ahead of the pain by taking the prescribed dosage of pain meds on schedule! And you absolutely should get a knee scooter. I used crutches intermittently but relied on my scooter and canít imagine not having it, even now that I am partial weight bearing. This process is physically exhausting and you need to conserve your energy for HEALING.
I use a shower chair and a toilet lift chair. Love them both. The first 2 weeks my husband helped me into our walk-in shower, but once I was more steady I figured out a way to support myself enough to get over the bottom rim of shower and onto the chair. And the toilet seat sits on top of regular toilet seat so up about 4-5Ē higher and has arms/rails. This alleviates so much stress on my good foot/knee as I get up and down, plus is so much more stable. My insurance covers cost of both with Dr. prescription.
I canít stand being dependent on anyone, so that has been really difficult, but I also knew that I need to allow the help so I could concentrate on letting my foot heal. And elevating your out is really important! Swelling from inflammation can become a cycle, and interferes with swift healing.
I embraced the whole ďtoes above your noseĒ for almost all of my awake time during the first4-5 weeks, along
No with using a pillow to elevate in bed at night. I am a side sleeper so sleeping on my back was a big adjustment
As desheree said, it does get better...I am glad I am on this side of surgery!

Old 08-09-2018, 10:22 PM   #12
Lortiz30
(female)

Lortiz30 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsheree2424 View Post
Take your meds. At least for the first couple weeks try to be tough you're not going anywhere so you might as well just sit back and try to enjoy the best you can. As far as the shower my husband would help me but we had a walk-in so it made it a little easier. Baby wipes and dry shampoo is going to be your friend for the first two weeks. But just taking a shower will wear you out for a while. You'll find your routine.
And give up that Independence for now because it just makes it harder and will wear you out faster.

Never thought about the dry shampoo or baby wipes thatís something Iíll have to get. Do you have any metal plates or screws in your foot from the surgery? If so can you feel them and are they bothersome? Or is it just normal?

Old 08-10-2018, 10:13 PM   #13
Thislilpigg33
(female)

Thislilpigg33 HB UserThislilpigg33 HB User

Hi, it's been almost a year for me getting my reconstructive foot surgery. Knee scooter will be a huge help and taking meds round the clock for a bit. Set your alarm. Do you have anyone to stay with you? Elevating your foot basically for the next few weeks helps and icing behind your knee. I remember the pain all too well. I wouldn't take showers for now. Body wipes, sponge baths for now:/ I have hardware, turns out foot was worse had a subtalar fusion. Have two screws and a metal mesh, mesh for my new atfl. Take it slow don't rush it

Old 08-11-2018, 12:03 AM   #14
Lortiz30
(female)

Lortiz30 HB User

For the time being I am staying with my mom so I am really being taken care of. Are you back to doing your normal activities after your surgery?
What do you think about having the metal plate and screws? Are you able to feel them at all when you walk/run?
I am finding that even though Iím not having bad pain I should still take meds because then I get horrible pain and the meds wonít do much. Itís such a struggle for sure.

Reply Reply