It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Subtalar fusion this week

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-09-2019, 06:08 AM   #1
    Disco10
    (male)

Disco10 HB User
    Subtalar fusion this week

I’m having subtalar fusion surgery with bone graft this week, only a couple of days to go , At the moment I’m getting around and have a limited life but getting on with things and work which is very manual,I’m hoping this is going to make me pain free and improve my lifestyle but still apprehensive about going through with it, plus being self employed will be no fun financially.
    It has a good success rate as I’ve read but surgeon told me there’s a possibility it could make it worse so hence the apprehension

Really confused at the moment

Last edited by Administrator; 02-09-2019 at 12:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2019, 05:50 AM   #2
    mammalu
    (female)

mammalu HB Usermammalu HB User
    Re: Subtalar fusion this week

Hi, I had a subtalar fusion in April 2017 which failed, and had it redone in January 2018. The recovery time can be frustrating, but it is important to keep foot elevated for first few weeks. Both times I was in plaster for 8 weeks, then boot for 6 weeks. 8 to 10 weeks non weight bearing. Then had physio for 8 weeks. But now no pain in that foot. Last year in
    July went travelling, climbing around castles, cobblestones, went to Macchu Pichu. I was slow but did it! Good luck. Get a knee walker, makes it easier to get around.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
    Disco10
    (male)

Disco10 HB User

Thanks for the reply Mammalu , Had my surgury cancelled today due to me having a cold , Back to Waiting another few weeks just to add to the frustration, Glad your doing so well very encouraging to hear a successful outcome for a change, All the best for the future, Oh and yes Iíve already invested in a knee walker already , Great bit of kit .

Old 02-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #4
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

For your sake I hope you are not going against doctors orders and doing manual work. I didn't have the surgery, they wanted to, but I was to swollen. I know after the initial accident it has to elevated all day long.

When I did ask the doc about this, it may happen someday, it does sound like recovery is quicker than the initial injury. I asked almost 10 years ago, things have probably changed since then

Old 02-11-2019, 03:12 PM   #5
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

It has been some time since your accident. Did you always plan on the surgery, or did pain progress to point you needed to do something?

Old 02-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #6
    Disco10
    (male)

Disco10 HB User

Hi Zerk, good to hear from you, I was hoping that it would get better by now but thatís no gonna happen as Iíve come to realise and as Iíve also been told by a private consultation on 2 occasions and , So the only way to relive the pain is the fusion , Itís just the long recovery with no income and going back to a very demanding physical job that concerns me .

Reply Reply