It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• First bunionectomy failed right away

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-15-2019, 10:37 AM   #1
    aimsmitty
    (female)

aimsmitty HB User
    First bunionectomy failed right away

I had my first bunion surgery on Feb. 26. One week later at post op, the x-rays showed that the screw had come out of place and the bones had dislocated. He did mention that my bones were pretty soft, but didn't seem particularly alarmed.I w as allowed to bear weight right after surgery but really did a good job of keeping it to a minimum. I also don't recall any particular event that would have caused this to happen. So, the doctor scheduled another surgery right away to figure out what happened and re-do it. After the surgery, he said that my bone had collapsed, which is why the screw had moved. He did a bone graft, screws, wires, and a titanium plate to hold it all together this time. I cannot bear any weight for the next 2 weeks and won't see an x-ray until the next appt. Has anyone else had this happen? I am particularly concerned about the bone collapsing. I was told to see my GP , which I did. I am waiting for bloodwork results to see if my calcium levels are off, and then I will go for a DXA scan. I am pre-menopause and 47, so I shouldn't be having any true osteo issues yet. I had planned on doing the other foot this summer, but might rethink it since this one is going to take a long time to heal.
    Bummer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2019, 07:04 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: First bunionectomy failed right away

Sorry to hear that this happened. Osteoporosis or low bone density can happen at any age. I started having issues at age 30.... because I have MS and the usual "fix" when I have a relapse is steroids- I can no longer take them because they interfere with bone density... my dexa scans continually get worse.

I also had a foot surgery 3 years ago and was told to stay off it for at least 3-4 weeks...I stayed off it and even so it took 8 weeks to fully heal. Calcium is tough to rebuild..

Talk to your GP about proper supplements and what you can do to assist in healing...hopefully you will be good to go in a few more weeks!

Reply Reply