It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Subtalar Fusion swelling

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-03-2019, 11:41 PM   #1
    fizzle

fizzle HB User
    Subtalar Fusion swelling

Had 2 post op appointments .

1. Two weeks after surgery had surgical splint and staples removed .
    Cast applied . Two weeks in had to visit er cause cast was unbearable. They cut the cast in half , went to OS next day.

2. Second appointment now week 6 . Got sutures removed and put in walking boot. Still non weight bearing .

I can sleep with out boot per doctor.

My concern now is the constant discoloration of my foot . It is almost a purple color and still swells a lot and I have what looks like purple bruise along the side of my inner foot . I elevate it while I sleep and most of tbs day.

Is the discoloration and swelling normal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2019, 09:27 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Subtalar Fusion swelling

Dear fizzle,

Yes, discoloration and swelling, and pain, is to be expected. How long is different in every case. Be sure to ask your doctor and keep all of your appointments.

I know after surgery when my ankle had been broken, the discoloration was shocking.
    Keep the injured area elevated as much as possible and follow the doctor's instructions.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-05-2019 at 07:29 AM.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:21 PM   #3
    fizzle

fizzle HB User

Weíre you non weight bearing for 8 weeks with the two screws as well and the bone from the tibia fused ?

Some days itís hard just sitting around with leg elevated but good thing is u have had 7 weeks off of work so far.

What other things can I expect ? I will go back In 2 weeks to see if if can bear weight .
    Both x rays so far they said itís looking good .

Thanks for the information and any more.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear fizzle,

Every case is different so always consult your doctor about your own case.

Yes I was non-weight bearing for 8 weeks and I had and still have six screws in there.
    No special 'fusion' was done. The fusion is the bone healing back together.

Think of it this way ~ your job for now is protecting that bone so it heals up right. All your energy needs to be going to building bone and wiggling your toes to keep up the blood circulation.

Don't try to rush the healing process, hon. Your body has work to do. Eating right, getting enough calcium and magnesium is important, and also important to stay off that foot until the doctor releases you to do anything more.

Later you will likely need to do some physical therapy. Keep rested and follow doctor orders. They are all there for a reason. Overdoing can slow down the healing process or even interfere with it.

Find some things you can do while down. I like crossword puzzles and drawing. I know this down time can be hard but it's very important!

Last edited by Administrator; 06-05-2019 at 07:29 AM.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:15 PM   #5
    fizzle

fizzle HB User

Any suggestions on shoes for swelling?

Old 06-05-2019, 07:25 AM   #6
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dear fizzle,

I bought larger sized soft slippers.
    There are some that rather look like regular shoes, but they are not hard leather.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:18 AM   #7
    fizzle

fizzle HB User

Like crocs ? Did you have to wear orthotics too? Did swelling last a few weeks after boot ?

Old 06-06-2019, 12:11 AM   #8
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dear fizzle

Aren't crocs made of rubber? To me crocs are not soft enough.
    Try soft leather or fabric slippers on your foot to find out what size to buy. Try the slipper/shoe on your sore foot. If you need to, wear a slipper on the sore foot and a shoe on the other foot to protect the sore body part. I have found soft leather moccasins work great.

Everyone has their own unique experience as to swelling and pain and orthotic requirements, so what others need won't affect what you need to do. If you think orthotics may help ask your doctor, and esp if the doc says to use them do use them.

As long as your foot is swollen you likely need to spend a significant amount of time with your foot raised above your heart in order to reduce the swelling. Keeping your foot down too much can keep the swelling going on en extended amount of time. It is different for each person, and depends on how well you take are of the foot.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:18 AM   #9
    Disco10
    (male)

Disco10 HB User

Hi Fizzle, Iím just over 4 weeks in from Subtalar Fusion just like you had
    Iíve had the first cast change at 2 weeks and now looking forward to the 6 week appointment to see how things are progressing
    Iím just getting to the stage where I can keep my foot down a little longer but still elevate as much possible , The swelling lasts for months Apparently even when weight bearing thatís when the fun starts !!
    I have to go back to a physical job that means Iím on my feet all day so no looking forward to that but no choice at mo .
    Hope youíre doing well and improving, Keep looking forward and stay positive

Old 06-06-2019, 11:19 PM   #10
    fizzle

fizzle HB User

Yes crocs are made from rubber. I will look for a softer shoe , I think my shoes are rubbing against the area where the fusion took place . Thanks so much for all the information . The pt is going well. Just having trouble going down stairs normally.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:29 PM   #11
    fizzle

fizzle HB User

So sorry to hear that you have to get back to your job so quickly. Elevating is key to the healing process I think. Even with that boot it was uncomfortable. I just returned to work after 12 weeks Working part tine too. The Worst part was the hard cast I had to get it removed. I hope you the best and make sure you go to PT . Pt is key.

Weight bearing is another milestone for you . Just take it step by step and keep a positive outlook. Soon youíll be out of crutches and to the boot then to shoes.

Wishing you the best and speedy recovery.

Oh one thing I do remember . Maybe around week 10 my leg peeled from knee to foot. This surgery has been quite the adventure . Donít hesitate to ask questions . This community is such a good tool to ask people that have had similar surgeries .

Old 07-29-2019, 11:51 AM   #12
    fizzle

fizzle HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yayagirl View Post
    Dear fizzle

Aren't crocs made of rubber? To me crocs are not soft enough.
    Try soft leather or fabric slippers on your foot to find out what size to buy. Try the slipper/shoe on your sore foot. If you need to, wear a slipper on the sore foot and a shoe on the other foot to protect the sore body part. I have found soft leather moccasins work great.

Everyone has their own unique experience as to swelling and pain and orthotic requirements, so what others need won't affect what you need to do. If you think orthotics may help ask your doctor, and esp if the doc says to use them do use them.

As long as your foot is swollen you likely need to spend a significant amount of time with your foot raised above your heart in order to reduce the swelling. Keeping your foot down too much can keep the swelling going on en extended amount of time. It is different for each person, and depends on how well you take are of the foot.

Did you also have a little discomfort on the top of your foot and the feeling of a small ball on the bottom foot between the big toe and pointer toe

Old 08-01-2019, 11:13 AM   #13
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

The discolor is because your foot is not elevated most likely. Most of use were told all day toes above the nose.

As for cast seems some doc do cast some boot, I suppose based on injury. After my accident I had cast around a month then boot. I was not allowed to take of to sleep. Again had to sleep with foot elevated.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:22 AM   #14
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fizzle View Post
    Like crocs ? Did you have to wear orthotics too? Did swelling last a few weeks after boot ?
    People love crocs. But I don't think they have enough arch support.
    I wore old tenis shoe that I could slip on. Then new balance shoes that come wider than other brands.

When my foot was weak I stuck with running shoes. But as I got more active and strong I switched to lace up boots. I rarely go out of the house without boots for support. Which is why I probably do ok on uneven surfaces. I do ok outdoors.

I try to limit the amount of time walking around house without a slip on shoe. When I do to much I think it gives plantar factitis, whoever it is spelled.

Doc told me this was a life changing event. Some people have trouble getting that. They still want to wear cute shoes. I miss going barefoot outdoors.

I buy good boots and good socks. I change up the socks yearly. I wear merino wool hiking socks. No they are not hot or itchy They make merino wool underwear, but its $$$.

Reply Reply

Tags
    subtalar fusion, swelling foot