It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Chilectomy planned

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-17-2019, 08:49 AM   #1
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Chilectomy planned

Hi, healthboards, long time no see!

I have a bone spur on my left foot, and conservative treatments like shoes are no longer working, so I'm going to have chilectomy in a couple weeks. My surgeon wasn't able to talk to me for too long, so I have a few more questions about the recovery.

First, at 14 days after the surgery, I need to drive 4 hours to a conference and then do some walking around at the conference. (Mostly sitting, but some walking.) Is it reasonable for me to expect to do this?

Second, I have a preschooler and a toddler at home. (I'm only 37 why am I having osteoarthritis surgery?!?) When will I be able to do things like carry the baby, cook, bring them to daycare and carry laundry up and down the stairs?

Third, just how much does it hurt? Due to serious upper digestive problems, cannot have any NSAIDS and I also have issues with Tylenol. Prescription pain meds are an option, but not when driving, and I'm not sure I'll get enough. I am willing to endure pain, but I'm really not looking forward to it.

Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2019, 06:12 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Chilectomy planned

I've had one on both big toe joints so have some experience. So, if you aren't going to meet with the surgeon (who I am going to assume is a Foot and Ankle Board certified ortho because if he is not you need to find one), call his nurse and find out all the following and more.

All docs have their own protocols so I have no idea what his might be. So, how long before the stitches are out? Will you be in a boot or surgical shoe? Will you be non weight bearing? For how long?When can you wash your foot? Does he want you to exercise the toe after surgery (pull toe gently out and move up and down)? What pain meds will you get? Does he want you to take an antibiotic after (I'm allergic to most so always ask that question)? what if he finds other damage once he's in?

The answers to these questions will determine what you can do and reasonably expect to do and when. Two different surgeons did mine and their methods were very different. One had me walking from day 1 -no crutches and back to work after 2-3 days. The other had me off work for 5 days and on crutches during that time and no driving for 2 weeks.(right foot)

Overall,the first one was easier than the second one. In both cases I was on the dance floor 6 weeks after. Which brings me to why you may have this. Age has nothing to do with it. Do you exercise/do yoga/jog/etc? Do/did you wear high heels? All contribute to this condition.I jogged for decades and wore VERY high heels every day.

Good luck and let me know if you have more questions.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:51 PM   #3
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Thanks!

I talked to my surgeon about the conference, and his answer was noncommittal, basically he didn't tell me not to, but also said he couldn't guarantee that I'd be able to. I'm actually more concerned about the long drive than about the conference itself.

He seems to lean towards the earlier walking and potential return to work. My post-op appointment will be right before I leave, which might be when he takes out the stitches. Four weeks in a surgical shoe, but apparently weight bearing right away. He didn't mention exercise yet.

Yeah, I wore high heels only a few times in my life, I quite jogging when I was a teenager. I exercised, but I don't think it was anything that would put major strain on the toes.

I'm having a lot of anxiety around the pain meds issue. In my last 4 serious injuries or surgeries (fracture, hernia and two C-sections) I had very poor pain control for one reason or another. I very much want to know what will be done to control the pain, but I'm also afraid to ask lest I be labeled drug-seeking. Hmm. Maybe I can start the conversation by asking whether I can get a nerve block. Nerve blocks are awesome.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:04 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

That's another issue I experienced. One doc did and one didn't. Frankly, I prefered the one without because I was awake all night while it wore off and the whole leg felt like little needles pricking it. But that's a personal perference. I am concerned that you'll be in the surgical shoe for so long without moving the toe. Scar tissue can set in and freeze the toe. Both of my docs were very adamant about this. I'd ask again. I was terrified that would happen to me because that is a failed procedure causing another one. I forget exactly what pain med they gave me but think it was Lortab.

And they won't think you're trolling for pain meds if you just ask what post op meds they prescribe, noting that you can't take NSAIDs and have issues with Tylenol. I have a list a mile long of drug allergies so it really isn't a problem to ask like that.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:40 AM   #5
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well, evidently the medication thing is a big problem. I'm not surprised. It seems that I will not get any postoperative pain meds.

It's not OK, it's going to be pretty darned horrible, but I don't have a choice if I ever want to go for a walk in the park again.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:26 PM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You probably won't need any....I took first night and that was it. Aleve after that. It's not that bad a procedure...at least neither of mine were. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a really low pain threshold. Whatever OTC one you usually take should work well. Besides, pain meds are usually in a Tylenol base so you'd have issues with that.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #7
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well, it's been 13 days, and I would agree, it wasn't too bad. I easily achieved my personal pain control goal, which was not going above a 6 for any significant length of time. I did need prescription pain meds for a couple days, since I can't take any OTCs, but I had them, so that was OK.

Got the bandages off and stitches out on day 11, and the surgeon gave me permission to start walking in a regular shoe, just a loose one for the swelling. At this point, I'm getting around pretty well, I just need to stop and elevate my foot after a few minutes.

Meanwhile, I had my kitchen remodeled, dealt with two sick kids, and rode 2+ hours in a car with kids to visit my grandmother for Mothers' Day. It's been super restful!

Last edited by janewhite1; 05-15-2019 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Typos

Old 05-15-2019, 05:29 PM   #8
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Great news! Just how mine went and I'm glad you didn't have any issues.

Reply Reply