It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• non-weight bearing with 6 yr knee replacement

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #1
    Oksenior
    (female)

Oksenior HB User
    non-weight bearing with 6 yr knee replacement

I will be having surgery to correct adult squired flatfoot deformity in early June. My surgeon said a knee walker is out of the question because of my prior knee replacements (bilateral) and that I would need a wheelchair or crutches. Former doesnít lend itself to my home and Iím worried about my stability on crutches, especially to bathroom at nighttime. Iím a 70 yr female. Anyone with experience and advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2019, 06:22 PM   #2
    LauraBSD
    (female)

LauraBSD HB User
    Re: non-weight bearing with 6 yr knee replacement

This is a good question! I have had both knees replaced as well and have the flat foot surgery coming up. I had planned on using the scooter! Maybe you could use a walker?

Old 05-18-2019, 07:09 AM   #3
    Tink51
    (female)

Tink51 HB User

Crutches are way too hard. And a walker is almost as hard if you're non weight bearing. Maybe go to a medical supply store and try one out. The dr can send you to PT now, before your surgery to work on using a scooter. My dr did. I used a scooter and the knee that wasn't replaced was the one on the scooter. I wish the replaced knee could have been on the scooter, I think it was stronger. Your dr can send you to PT now to work on ways to get around with a scooter. Usually the PT places have scooters, but check to see if they do.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:04 PM   #4
    Oksenior
    (female)

Oksenior HB User

Thanks! I see the surgeon next week and see what she says. Both my knees have been replaced and I donít think I can kneel on my good leg even, but weíll see. I am a Christian and I am trusting God to provide the way!

Old 05-19-2019, 08:08 AM   #5
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear Oksenior,

I cannot use the scooter at all, not being able to be on either of my knees, though they scooters do work well for a lot of people. I had to use a wheel chair for awhile in one recovery (there have been many with my legs), until i was steady enough for a walker.

Let us know what works for you.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:54 PM   #6
    sharoni
    (female)

sharoni HB User

I am having triple arthrodesis foot surgery this coming Thursday, 6/13/19 and I have had both knees replaced. My surgeon said I can use a knee scooter. I purchased a sheepskin cover for the seat which my husband attached foam from a swimming foam noodle. I have been practicing on it and it seem like it will feel ok. I have a hot spot on the knee replacement that will be on the scooter and it's very painful without the foam and sheepskin.

Reply Reply