It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• 2 fractures in 4th metatarsal

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #1
    Macie19
    (female)

Macie19 HB User
    Unhappy 2 fractures in 4th metatarsal

It has been a nightmare for the last 5 months. I originally fractured the 4th metatarsal in my right foot in November. Dr. told me I was healed in early January and could play golf again. I took one swing and fractured the opposite side of the 4th metatarsal and sustained a stress fracture in the same bone. This was not originally seen by x-ray but MRI later confirmed it.

I was referred to a new Dr. who placed me in a boot for 6 weeks. I partially came out of the boot but returned when muscles were so tight.

I have been in pt since March. While I was progressing, I had to step back with muscle issues. Dr. wants me to walk, but I am so scared of a re-fracture or a new fracture since it happened before. I do walk a bit, like a baby giraffe, some without crutches, but I use them more or less for balance.

I can walk only about 50 yards before I feel some pain. Wile the doctor does not think it is the bone, he will re-x-ray at 12 weeks. PT also does not think pain is the fracture. I cannot shake my fear.

My foot still swells later in the day. It also gets warm with a burning sensation which resolves by morning. I am totally done by about 6:00 p.m.

I feel totally hopeless and feel as though I will never get back to my old life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2019, 06:55 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: 2 fractures in 4th metatarsal

You don't say your age so this may be a wild guess...but do you have osteoporosis? That could be a cause. Also, any other foot or leg issue that could impact your gait? I ask because I had several stress fractures in a foot that the ortho thought was due to walking to compensate for a big toe issue I later had repaired.Just to be sure it wasn't osteoporosis, I was run thru an osteoporosis clinic. Bone density was normal and they sent me away. I was 69 at the time.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:04 AM   #3
    Macie19
    (female)

Macie19 HB User
    Re: 2 fractures in 4th metatarsal

I am a 43 year old female who was active prior to the initial fall. I would walk 9 holes of golf with no issues.

Reply Reply