It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Post-op shoe so uncomfortable

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-21-2019, 09:16 PM   #1
    teachertype
    (female)

teachertype HB User
    Post-op shoe so uncomfortable

I am 13.5 weeks post op from a midfoot fusion and bunionectomy. Had a cast 6 weeks, and a boot 6 weeks. This is my second fusion (one on each foot). First fusion I did not wear a post-op shoe. My surgeon put me in the velcro shoe for a month as the fusion is still healing. (no broken screws-so far so good!). I am finding the shoe to be incredibly uncomfortable. It is like walking on a wooden plank. I have added a cushioned insert with my surgeons blessing and that helped a bit. The velcro straps on the top tend to cut into my ankle, and by mid-afternoon, my ankle is very sore. I realize that my ankle was immobilized for 12 weeks and is now getting a workout as I climb stairs and take steps. I thought that after a few days, my ankle would stop hurting as I became more used to bending it. My foot also burns in the post op shoe, even though I am wearing a wicking sock.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2019, 10:43 PM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Post-op shoe so uncomfortable

Dear teachertype,

My personal experience ~

Those nerves have to recover, and it seems like nerves take the longest to heal.
    I really disliked the feel of the post op shoe so I bought soft rubber soled slippers a size bigger than normal and wore one on my injured foot and a regular shoe on the other.

I got lambswool padding to layer under and/or on my tender areas, inside the Velcro shoe. It feels very nice as a cushion. Don't lace the boot too tightly.

Some icing now and then helps calm the burning sensation. You might wrap a cold pack or ice in a towel (don't put anything cold or hot directly on your skin), for 15 to 20 minutes every two - four hours as needed.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:16 AM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Post-op shoe so uncomfortable

Do you have the right size shoe? I've had 5 foot surgeries and wore one at least part of the time with each one. First time out the shoe was very uncomfortable and had to get a different size. I stuck with that size for the subsequent surgeries. I had them in black,blue and brown. Lovely footwear!

Reply Reply