It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Peroneal Tendon Rupture

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-11-2019, 12:39 PM   #1
    NewTendon
    (female)

NewTendon HB User
    Peroneal Tendon Rupture

I have read and learned so much from those on this board, that I wanted to share my story in case it helps other and a little encouragement and support never hurts! I had surgery on my right foot last fall to fix a tear in my peroneal brevis tendon, along with a fibular bone deepening and tightening of my superior retinaculum to stop the subluxing of my tendons. The surgery went well overall. I was NWB for 4 weeks and then went right into a boot for a couple of weeks FWB and PT. My first week out of the boot in early January, I rolled my repaired foot and I thought for sure I had broken something or undid my surgery, but I was told by my surgeon and by my 2nd opinion that it was just a sprain and all was fine. Over the next few months I continued to have big problems with that foot being very unstable and I would fall for no reason.

In May I finally had an MRI that showed I had ruptured both the peroneal brevis tendon and the peroneal longus tendon with an approx. 9 cm gap! No wonder I was in so much pain. I was glad to finally have found the issue. Rupturing both of these tendons is apparently pretty rare. If anyone has experienced this I would love to hear how you are doing and what to expect in the coming weeks and months (and long-term). What scares/concerns me is my OS has no idea what caused such a traumatic rupture (he said it was the worst he has seen) and that it is unlikely it was caused by an ankle sprain. I'm not sure what to think but just hope that this surgery will solve all of these issues.

I had surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago which included a donor tendon because both of my tendons were so trashed, a modified brostrum procedure to tighten up the ligaments, a lateral calcaneal osteotomy, and a removal of a neuroma on my nerve from the first surgery. I spent the first 16 days or so in a splint which I got off yesterday. I now have a cast for the next 3 weeks. Once I get that off I will still be NWB but not sure exactly how long. Pain still seems to be up and down. Overall the pain was not as bad as I was expecting that first week. Having said that, I am frustrated by the pain I continue to have now, which mainly seems to be nerve pain around the neuroma on the side of my foot and my heel which only hurts in the morning after sleeping. I am on Gabapentin for the nerve pain and am still taking 5 mg oxy but it doesn't always help. Any other suggestions?

I have worked some from the couch (I have a desk job) over the last week or so, but it is hard! It is a struggle to balance the demands of my job vs. the time I know I need to devote to healing (and just not feeling well and in pain). I'm sure many can relate! How long did you take off of work? I find it interesting how much doctor's vary in their opinions on this. My doctor said I could go back after two weeks, which I did last time, but I have to wonder if that could have contributed to them not healing correctly. I don't feel up to it yet so we will see. I will update again when I see the OS in a few weeks. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply