It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Nervous about transitioning into a shoe

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-02-2019, 03:46 PM   #1
    MissyAnne138
    (female)

MissyAnne138 HB User
    Nervous about transitioning into a shoe

Hello,
    I am 11 weeks post OP of having PTTD surgery on my left foot. To be more specific, I had a tendon removed from my big toe to repair my Achilles Tendon, which was becoming quite stretched. I had an extra bone removed from the inner side of said foot that was rubbing on my Achilles Tendon and thus the reason for it becoming stretched. I also had a titanium wedge implanted into the outer side of the foot to correct the completely collapsed arch. Ouch! The past 11 weeks have been an experience to say the least. I was NWB in a splint for 2 weeks, followed by 2 different fiberglass casts for 4 weeks and 2 days. Then I was put into my CAM boot because the second fiberglass cast was too tight and was causing pain and a burning sensation. I've now been in the CAM boot for 5 weeks, but only 3 weeks weight bearing and the doctor wants me to transition into a shoe. My question is doesn't that seem a bit early? The x-rays all looked good and I have good fusion. He says I've completely healed. I'm worried because I only started full weight bearing this week and I have a bit of a limp. I definitely can't go without my crutches. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2019, 05:55 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Nervous about transitioning into a shoe

Dear MissyAnne,

Try to make yourself relax.
    You may need to buy a bigger or softer shoe for the healing process.

I don't have your particular experience but I have had broken bones and surgeries it can take a LOOOONG time for all the nerves to settle down. Nerves take way longer to recover than bone.

Trust what your doctor said. If you get sharp pain get it checked out. But if everything remains in place and looks good, this is likely just the healing process.

Ask your doctor what you can do for pain so you can get your rest. I suggest that you keep your foot elevated as much as possible during the healing process. I kept my foot on a pillow when in bed and elevated every time I sat down. However, I live with a permanent limp and pain and some numbness 24-seven from a serious accident I was in.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
    MissyAnne138
    (female)

MissyAnne138 HB User

Hi yayagirl,

Thanks for responding and the good advice.

I am really trying to stay relaxed about this whole healing process, but sometimes I can't help but get worked up over worrying if things are progressing as they should. I am 14 weeks post OP now and 3 weeks into my physical therapy. That's helping me stay more calm about this whole thing.

I am out of my CAM boot and fully into my regular shoe now. Although I think I could use a wider and half size bigger shoe. I'll have to check into that. Pain is a come and go companion. I never know when it's going to show up or how bad it's going to be. I have pain pills prescribed by my doctor but I try not to take them only as really needed.

Hope you are doing ok and pain free from your accident.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:16 PM   #4
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Listen to the doc, he went to school for this stuff.

I was eager to get out of the walking boot, and progress.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:23 PM   #5
    MissyAnne138
    (female)

MissyAnne138 HB User

Hello Zerk,
    I am listening to what my doc says but letting my body guide me in the process too. I am now 15 weeks post op and fully back into my pre-op shoes. I still have a limp when I try to walk without my crutch (1) but my physical therapist doesn't want me to walk without it until I can walk with no limp. I'm eager to put the crutch down and get back to a normal gait pattern. Then as soon as I do I can schedule my right foot surgery. I just want them both done and to be completely healed. What did you have done, if you don't mind me asking? Hope you are having a wonderful day.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #6
    DAWN537464
    (female)

DAWN537464 HB UserDAWN537464 HB UserDAWN537464 HB UserDAWN537464 HB User

I had similar surgeries on both feet. It was months before I walked without a limp. I waited two years between surgeries because I had a LOT of pain and very log healing time with the first one. I had ruptured PT tendons in both feet which led to flat feet and displaced heel bone. In both feet I had the tendon transfer and column lengthening (evans osteotomy). The left foot had an achilles lengthening, and the right foot had a gastroc release. I would skip the achilles lengthening if I were you. Permanently ruined my calf muscle.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:21 AM   #7
    evab01
    (female)

evab01 HB User

Contact your doctor what you can do for pain so you can get your rest. I advise that you keep your foot elevated as much as possible during the healing method.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:10 AM   #8
    MissyAnne138
    (female)

MissyAnne138 HB User

Hi Dawn,

Boy do I wish I would have talked to you pre-surgery. I had the tendon transfer and the evans procedure, and I just found out yesterday he also did a gastroc release. I have a valley going across my calf muscle where he cut and a big amount of scar tissue in a hard lump the width of my calf. Some days are easier than others to walk but most are difficult. I find that I walk smoother with the crutch, but I so want to ditch it. Any advice?

Melissa

Reply Reply