It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Triple Arthrodesis August 16, 2019

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-10-2019, 05:24 AM   #1
    ljack517
    (female)

ljack517 HB User
    Triple Arthrodesis August 16, 2019

I had a triple arthrodesis in August of this year on my right foot. My original complaint was the arthritis in my ankle and the pain and swelling. I have had physical therapy, and shots over the years for my ankle. I have flat feet and my right foot hurt so badly when I stand or walk. It was very hard to wear any type of shoe or sneaker. I was told that I had to have the foot corrected before I could have an ankle replacement done. I chose ankle replacement over fusion, because I want movement in my ankle. My foot is shaped different and I am walking in a sneaker with weight bearing. I seem to walk on the side of my foot. I still have pain and I go to PT once per week. I was told that I need to wait a year to see the full result, but I still have a crooked foot and walk funny and can't walk too long. Has anyone had this issue?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #2
    ljack517
    (female)

ljack517 HB User
    Re: Triple Arthrodesis August 16, 2019

I'm in my 9th month and doing better, but I still walk on the side of my foot an can't walk too long. I've been fitted for customer orthotics and I still have to take shots in my ankle for the pain. Hopefully after the Pandemic ends next year I can get the ankle corrected.

The following user gives a hug of support to ljack517:
    dh4512 (05-29-2020)
    The Following User Says Thank You to ljack517 For This Useful Post:
    esker (05-28-2020)
    Old 09-15-2021, 04:46 AM   #3
    BeckyL
    (female)

BeckyL HB User
    Re: Triple Arthrodesis August 16, 2019

Hello, I had the same surgery in 2016 or 17 and I still have the same issues as you. I walk on the inside of my foot, it literally sticks to the floor if I am barefoot. I can only walk a VERY short distance and I have to sit down. I wear a brace in my sneaker but it doesn't do much. My ankle is constantly swollen and in a lot of pain. I also don't have good balance. My surgeon has now told me, my arthrodesis is undercompensated and my ankle bone is collapsing. She wants to take out my screws and manipulate my foot while I am asleep to see how straight she can get my foot on it's own and then fuse my ankle and correct any bones around it if need be. She told me it's not a good idea to do a replacement with a fusion already there because there is a greater chance of it failing. I am so sorry you are going through this. I walked better with a broken foot, this surgery basically took my life away, I can't do anything anymore. I am afraid to do my ankle because I am afraid it will make it worse than it is now. The surgeon told me if it failed I would stay the same and not worse but I was also told my first surgery would make it better and it's worse so, who do I believe??? Let me know how you make out. Best of luck to you!!!!

Reply Reply