It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Top of foot ankle pain

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-11-2020, 01:06 PM   #1
    j2s2
    (female)

j2s2 HB User
    Top of foot ankle pain

I am going to my doctor tomorrow, but I have for months been having terrible feet problems. It started with my right foot swelling, becoming difficult to walk on i have a bunion that needs surgery, but may put that off for a while. My right foot was inflamed and swollen from my ankle towards my middle toes.
    I went to my ortho surgeon and he didn't offer much at all. Over time my right foot settled down some then I kid you not out of the blue my left started doing the same thing. I thought maybe it was aggravated because of my right foot issues. Weeks go by and I am still hobbling around. Some days I can hardly put weight on it. Nothing helps with the swelling or pain. I have done R.I.C.E. and I'm just to the point I need my doctor to dig deeper. Something isn't right my guess it's arthritis related. I do have OA in my knee and foot on the right side.
    I can't walk without limping and none of my shoes feel good on my foot right now. I wake up slow because I know as soon as I start walking around my foot will hurt and im talking take your breath away hurt at times. I hobble around in the mornings getting ready. I still go about my day but I admit I have had more days of "resting my foot" than I like to admit.
    We raise chickens so this is really slowing me down lately. Just concerned about my feet. I know my left foot couldn't push me around on a knee scooter or carry me on crutches right now. That's why I'm in a delema about my surgery. It's 4 months away so I need get this figured out. Not how I wanted to be approaching a birthday that's for sure dealing with foot pain.

The following user gives a hug of support to j2s2:
    Machaon (05-12-2020)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2020, 05:38 PM   #2
    Merk83
    (female)

Merk83 HB User
    Re: Top of foot ankle pain

It almost sounds like one of the tarsal bones has subluxed (slipped down) This can cause pain and swelling on the top/ middle part of the foot. This can happen spontaneously but I know it happens to me from prolonged use (running). Does the pain intensify when weight is on it and release somewhat at rest?

Old 05-11-2020, 06:27 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Is this ortho Foot & Ankle Board certified? If not, you need to see one.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:31 PM   #4
    j2s2
    (female)

j2s2 HB User

it does hurt more when I put weight on it. It hurts more believe it or not after I have elevated it for a while then get up to do something. I saw my ortho surgeon for a similar situation on my right foot and he did an xray on the right foot and supposedly didn't see anything wrong with it.
    I have my left foot elevated now and taken it fairly easy today and it's bothersome and throbbing. It's definitely had me concerned. I'm glad I'm going to my doctor tomorrow. I hope to get some idea of what's happening with my foot. I can handle pain but this has really made me curse a few times lol. I have fibromyalgia so of course I thought it might be related to that but fm pain for me tends to subside over time. You factor in weather changes all that but after several weeks my brain says get yourself to the doctor. You know when something isn't quite right. I have always been a busy person and that hasn't been the case as of late. I will keep you posted. Hopefully I will get some insight to this pain.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:15 PM   #5
    j2s2
    (female)

j2s2 HB User

oh and the ortho surgeon I am seeing and have my bunion surgery scheduled with does a lot of work with the U of A sports teams.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:02 AM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

U of Akron, Arizona, Alabama??????

Old 05-12-2020, 04:37 AM   #7
    j2s2
    (female)

j2s2 HB User

U of A, Arkansas.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:18 AM   #8
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Hi j2s2, sorry about your painful feet.

My wife has osteoarthritis in her right foot combined with posterior tibial tendon dysfunction (PTTD). It kept getting worse until she started wearing a better more supportive sneaker with supportive inserts/orthotics. She also ices her foot 2-3 times a day and she has stopped the progression of the damage. She also uses a pain cream that contains things like Yarrow Extract, Aloe Vera Gel, Annatto, Arnica Montana Extract, Boswellia Serrata Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Turmeric Root Extract, Gluconolactone, Glucosamine HCL, Devil's Claw Root Extract, Sunflower, Yerba Mate, Skullcap Root Extract, Yucca Extract. No cure, but at least it has stopped deteriorating.

Best of luck and health! Bob

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:06 AM   #9
    j2s2
    (female)

j2s2 HB User

well according to xray nothing appears to be broken. She did run some lab work to check uric acid and some other inflammatory markers. I have been given a script to see about a walking boot that I can wear as needed for more support. So that's where I am right now until labs come back. I'm glad I went and it could simply be agitated from the way I was walking when my right foot was having some problems.
    We have to take care of our feet they get us through our days. I like Tiger Balm a lot. I have tried bio freeze but the extreme cold from that cream is to much. Plus I like the peppermint smell of tiger balm. It's pretty soothing just wish it came in a bigger jar.

Old 05-13-2020, 03:45 PM   #10
    j2s2
    (female)

j2s2 HB User

So far I have gotten my uric acid results back 3.8, my CRP result was 3.1, and ESR 10. That is all that has been shared with me. Probably will see remaining lab work tomorrow. Wish they would post it. Probably something needing further review.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:56 AM   #11
    j2s2
    (female)

j2s2 HB User

still waiting for the rest of my lab results. My feet are killing me. Today alone I have rubbed them down with blue emu oil. Which doesn't really help other than having a cooling effect. I am right now using a foot roller which helps to stretch them a bit. I am miserable but at the same time trying to keep a smile on my face and keep up with day to day chores.
    I hurt from the time I get up till I go to bed. I'm waiting on my walking boot to be ready.
    I am doing the rice recommendation which I told my NP that I was doing that but it isn't helping at all. My feet have never bothered me this much. Ever since I had Plantars Fascitus in my right foot I have had nothing but trouble. They are really bothersome today. Feeling discouraged and really thinking this might be a nerve damage situation. Who the hell knows. Just frustrated, in pain, worn out, and need answers. Sorry I needed to whine today. My feet really do hurt.

The following user gives a hug of support to j2s2:
    Machaon (05-19-2020)
    Reply Reply