It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Issues when it comes to non-weight bearing after ankle surgery

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-20-2020, 08:44 AM   #1
    Mega75
    (female)

Mega75 HB User
    Issues when it comes to non-weight bearing after ankle surgery

Hi!

I had a Brostrom repair on my left ankle on Tuesday, so it's only been a few days now. Anyway, if non-weight bearing was a class, I'd be failing it right now. I have never been blessed with coordination and balance to begin with, then add the very necessary pain pills (percocet) to the mix, and my non-surgical side being weakened lately from back issues, and well, yeah, it's not been a good combination at all!!!

I stocked up on walking aids pre-surgery: I have standard crutches (with hot pink pads to make it more comfy), a knee scooter and a walker that belonged to my mom. After trying them all post-surgery, I've pretty much exclusively been using a walker the past couple of days. It's been the easiest option for me, especially when it comes to going to the bathroom (getting on and off the toilet) which is my least favorite activity these days. However, I keep losing my balance when I'm getting off the couch and/or as I'm slowly hopping to the bathroom. So once I lose my balance I've been regaining it by placing my bad foot down on the ground. It's only really a toe touch type of thing, I've never had to put the full weight on the ground, but this has been happening almost every bathroom trip I make. I'm worried I've fudged the repair up before it even really had a chance to fully set up. And the pain spikes up so high (naturally!) when that happens, so I feel like ever since the pain block wore off I haven't been able to get ahead of the pain at all.

Anyone else found staying totally non-weight bearing to be a big challenge? I knew it would be tough for me, but this has been so much worse than I was expecting, and I know my screwed up back (from a car accident in 2017) hasn't been helping the situation either. But anyway, if anyone else has been in this situation, what was your outcome? Did the repair hold up? Could placing my foot down (but not fully bearing all my weight on it) be ruining the surgery already? I know no one on here are doctors, and I'm not seeking medical advice, but any tips or tricks would be so appreciated.

I haven't called my doctor's office yet, but I will if I can't get beyond this stage, and regardless I'll definitely confess at my appointment on the 29th when I'm getting the stitches removed. Also, I fear I may have to get higher mg's anyway since I don't feel like the pain pills are touching the pain now anyway (entirely my fault I know). Ack!

Thanks for reading and any tips I could get would be appreciated. Take care!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2020, 02:02 PM   #2
    Mega75
    (female)

Mega75 HB User
    Re: Issues when it comes to non-weight bearing after ankle surgery

It's getting better, I've been balancing better. Maybe I'm getting stronger, or maybe I'm more used to things now. Also I'm upstairs in my own bed, with closer access to the bathroom than when I was downstairs setting up camp on our living room sofa. The closer commute helps a lot.

Old 09-07-2020, 04:13 PM   #3
    1gind
    (female)

1gind HB User

I have a bad knee on the good foot side, and tried to use a combination of scooter and crutches after my foot surgey. While on pain meds the crutches in particular were dangerous and the scooter was too tall for me even on the lowest setting so it wasn't working either. A friend loaned me their wheel chair and that was a lifesaver. I have a 4" lift seat on my toilet so it is easier to stand up, and I installed removable handles on either side so I can push straight up to stand. this helped my balance issues by alot. I can't answer your questions about what you may have done to your foot, as I am a chicken and didn't let mine get that far. Hope all turns out well. It's no fun in the first place and problems along the way are just no fun.

Old 09-09-2020, 12:15 PM   #4
    Mega75
    (female)

Mega75 HB User

Hi 1gind! Thanks for the reply. Definitely not fun! You've got that right!

Oh no! That's tough that you have problems with the knee on the same side as your good foot, I actually have that same issue, bad right knee and bad left ankle. It's an extra challenge for sure. I had also bought a knee scooter before the surgery, so by 2nd week I ended up mostly using that, and if I took my time around corners I did okay on it. I'm glad that you were able to borrow a wheel chair and it ultimately worked well for you. It's trial and error when trying to figure out what works best when non-weight bearing, I just wished I'd figured it out without all the extra pain. Oh well! I see my doctor's PA this Friday for a post op check up, I don't think I did any extra damage, thankfully, but I guess I'll know for sure after that appointment.

Thanks for the reply. I hope you're on the mend now.

Old 09-12-2020, 06:03 AM   #5
    1gind
    (female)

1gind HB User

I hope your appointment went well and that you are fully on the mend. I am doing great in my book. 11 weeks post surgery and mostly walking, still using crutches but use them more for balance than taking weight off. I rarely wear my support stocking and have minimal to swelling. I use a cold laser on my foot and ankle every evening and highly recommend it. I get to transition to real shoe this next week. Looking forward to it. Best wishes for a complete and speedy healing. gin

Old 10-14-2020, 05:24 PM   #6
    bhumik
    (male)

bhumik HB User

I doubt you did damage. I have read a lot of doctors protocols, and some docs actually allow toe touch weight bearing post op.

There was also one study where they let their patients be completely weight bearing right after the operation. The success rate was only a little bit lower (I think 94%).

The ligaments are stitched (tightened) and are healing right now. The things that would stress them, I believe are inversion or a lot of plantar flexion, and you cant do either in the cast i believe.

Let us know what the doc says.

Reply Reply