It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• TPD (tibialis posterior dysfunction) - brace or surgery at 29 y-o

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-10-2020, 01:57 AM   #1
    Marili181
    (female)

Marili181 HB User
    TPD (tibialis posterior dysfunction) - brace or surgery at 29 y-o

Hi everyone!

I have had problems with my right foot for many years (aquired flat foot, even though my arches are actually visible, not typically flat). Last year I found out I had the sinus tarsi syndrome and got orthodics for that. I was already unable to walk without any pain. This year in May, I was better, but did sth stupid: power jumps. After that I was in constant pain when weight-bearing. Doc said sth about a spring ligament tear (although I didn't feel any snapping during or after the jumps) and suggested 3-6 months of doing some rehab exercises (like calf raises) and if that doesn't work - calcaneal osteotomy, tendon transfer and ligament repair. I think he missed the fact that the problem has been in fact tibialis posterior dysfunction, so not just PTTD but all of the tendons in that region. I can't wear a shoe at all - any rubbing (regardless of the shoe type) burns and causes inflammation on the medial and anterior side, thus putting me on bed regime for at least the next two weeks, and even then the pain is always there.

Prior to these issues I was working out several times a week. Training is an extremely important part of my life. Now I have been basically disabled since May (before, I could at least walk). So my questions is: at the age of 29, should I try the brace or should I have the surgery? As I've been reading from this forum, it's a huge surgery and it actually scares me a bit. On the other hand, I have many years ahead of me and not being able to be active is causing me depression and hopelessness.

I haven't been able to run for years anyway because of the sinus tarsi syndrome, but I did enjoy doing plyometrics for lower body conditioning. Is it true that after the surgery I would never be able to do that (like jumping rope for instance)?

I would appreciate any advice or comments!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2020, 03:34 AM   #2
    1gind
    (female)

1gind HB User
    Re: TPD (tibialis posterior dysfunction) - brace or surgery at 29 y-o

Hi, haven't been on the board for a while, I hope you have gotten a second opinion and made a decision.

I never knew when I tore my pttd originally, but mine was progressive not acute. At your age I think it is a toss up. I acquired a cold laser and did PT which bought me 16 years. However, due to the orthotics it did limit my length of time on my feet, but didn't stop me. If you try the non surgical option first, you can get surgery later if you aren't happy with results. Good luck. Ginny

Old 01-18-2021, 05:08 AM   #3
    amywking

amywking HB User
    Re: TPD (tibialis posterior dysfunction) - brace or surgery at 29 y-o

I've had surgery on my ankles 4X; I haven't regretted any of them. The first one maybe, only because it wasn't as extensive as it should have been. I was in my early 30s when started with ankle problems & surgery.

29 is a good age for surgery; you're still fit and heal quicker. I'm looking at surgery now because I'd rather do it at 47 than 57 or 67. It does not get easier with age.

I would find a GOOD* doc and figure this out sooner rather than later. I would not be waiting 6 months. I did the wait & see approach and will never do it again. A guy I work with messed up his ankle the same time I originally messed up mine. They did surgery on him & in 6 months he was more or less good to go. Took 2 years to fix me. On the conservative route, I suffered death by a thousand cuts. I did more damage waiting for it to heal, then more damage. No huge setbacks, but lots of little stupid things.

When my ankle was repaired, there was a laundry list of procedures and it was scary. It wasn't that bad really. It hurt; I think I took oxy for 2 or 3 weeks. (Caveat - I've got fibro so everything hurts more than it should.) The worst part was having my mother come for a month to help out. NEVER. AGAIN. :-o (I was single & she was retired)

Something for you to think about - I've got sinus tarsi syndrome in both feet. I've had both of them (sinus tarsi's) scoped & cleaned out. It helped a lot.

Find some anti-depressants. I think orthos tend to ignore that. The one time I mentioned depression to an ortho, he asked if I was going to hurt myself. Doc, I'm depressed not stupid. Besides, I had a brace on each foot, could barely walk, and this has been going on for 18 months. I'd have to be crazy to not be depressed. They should have a gumball machine filled with anti-depressants in ortho lobbies. I finally started on them 2 years ago. Should have done it 10 years ago. Should have been suggested 10 years ago.

I got a lot back after surgery. It did take time. I've never been as active as you, but I did walk a hilly 5K a couple years ago. I have learned that my foot is fragile. I don't push it like I used to. I have a boot in ready stand by if I tweak it. A couple days in that does wonders. (Mine now has a custom fuzzy fleece liner :-D). I also see my PT every week (my neck is messed up too.)

*A lot of 'top doc' lists aren't worth the paper they're printed on. I saw one where my ankle doc was listed as a top hip & knee guy. yikes.

Reply Reply

Tags
    calcaneal osteotomy, pttd, spring ligament