It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Shoe soles, sore feet, and fatigue

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-11-2021, 04:01 PM   #1
    NivaR

NivaR HB User
    Shoe soles, sore feet, and fatigue

5'9" 56 y/o male, 185 lbs at present, have fluctuated between 160 and 190 lbs for years. I'm currently at the high end of the range. My work involves both sitting at a desk and standing/walking.

Issue: When my shoes are new, I can get through my day and have energy at the end of it. After three or four weeks when the soles wear and scuff even a little, my feet get very sore at which point my energy level crashes. It isn't that I just need to sit down and rest, I have to take a nap.

Custom orthoses helped in the past in conjunction with being toward the lower end of my weight swing. The shoes would last several months before the fatigue kicked in and I would have to buy new ones. The orthotics aren't helping any more. I'm working on weight loss but it is taking longer and longer to lose it and it comes back faster and faster. The tendonosis from a prior weight loss effort (running without proper technique) probably isn't helping.

I am wondering if the fast shoe wear and the correlation with soreness and fatigue indicate something else I need to consider. I can't be buying a new pair of shoes every month until I get to an acceptable weight nor can I completely lose focus in the middle of the workday.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2021, 08:40 AM   #2
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
    Re: Shoe soles, sore feet, and fatigue

Better shoes, or just buy new ones? I am big fan of good socks. I only wear merino wool hiking socks, light summer medium in winter. After a year or so I get new ones for work.

I've got custom orthotics, but after a year I should replace

Buying new shoes every month isn't an option. So maybe different shoes.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:41 PM   #3
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

I am no doctor, but, for years had trouble with my feet. They were flatter than a pancake and totally out of line and when feet are out of line, it can throw one's balance totally off and effect your walk, which effect your legs and hips. I had no padding on the bottom of each foot and wore orthotics that were unbelievably high and had to keep going back to have them made higher. Due to the proper training and lots of exercise, I now have beautiful arches. The trainer I have had for years told me to throw the orthotics out and I thought that was impossible; however I did as he said. He loosened the soles of my feet and then strengthened my muscles so that they were in line. My suggestion to you is to find a trainer and do some lessons on your own plus get rid of those orthotics; they just make the muscles in your feet and legs more weaker and are nothing but money makers for the podiatrists. You may want to see an acupuncturist because if muscles are tight or damaged, one can help. I was in a horrible automobile accident where all the tissues were damaged and an acupuncturist has REALLY helped. You can start on your own by, GRADUALLY, stepping on a tennis ball; this will loosen some tightness and look into buying yoga toes.

Old 03-23-2021, 12:44 PM   #4
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

I think this may vary by person. My heel was shattered in an accident, orthotics helped me.

Old 03-30-2021, 03:08 PM   #5
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

[QUOTE=Zerk;5509729]I think this may vary by person. My heel was shattered in an accident, orthotics helped me.[/QUOTEY

A shattered heel is a different story!

Old 04-13-2021, 07:21 AM   #6
    Zerk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

[QUOTE=danabarb;5509854]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
    I think this may vary by person. My heel was shattered in an accident, orthotics helped me.[/QUOTEY

A shattered heel is a different story!

True. But they do help. I am a big believer in good socks, and good boots. Also replacing them before you think you need to.

Reply Reply

« best shoes for PF | - »