It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Working After PTTD/Calcaneal Osteotomy

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-20-2021, 02:34 PM   #1
    hoka21
    (female)

hoka21 HB User
    Question Working After PTTD/Calcaneal Osteotomy

Hey all,

I am a 22 yo nurse who had a tibial tendon rupture followed by PTTD repair with FDL transfer, Calcaneal osteotomy, and bone marrow graft. I am currently 7 weeks out and am supposed to return to work in 2 weeks. I want to see if anyone else recently experienced going back to work after a surgery similar to this. I work in the Emergency room and am not sure occupational health will clear me to work in a walking boot, but am desperate to go back to work so fingers crossed.

I am close to full weight bearing, I still have some significant heel pain but my physician recommended adding a gel heel cup to my shoe for added comfort. How long till people were able to walk comfortably without pain? Because I can walk without crutches it just causes me quite a bit of pain still.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2021, 12:33 PM   #2
    dh4512
    (female)

dh4512 HB User
    Re: Working After PTTD/Calcaneal Osteotomy

I see that no one answered you and wish I could help but I'm interested in how you are doing? I also have a PTTD and surgery is needed but haven't been able to because hip replacement was necessary first. That went well! Very concerned about foot surgery and NWB! What was done on your foot sounds like what they want to do to mine. Was your surgery done by a podiatrist or an orthopedic surgeon? Hope you are recovering well! Diana

Old 10-16-2021, 06:49 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I've had 5 foot surgeries - see an orthopedist who is Foot & Ankle Board certified. Who did the Chargers use - or the colleges? That's who you should see.

Old 10-16-2021, 08:54 PM   #4
    dh4512
    (female)

dh4512 HB User

Titchou,
    Thank you for answering.
    Chargers, good question! I have no idea but might be able to search and find out. Colleges, yes totally agree. I use to have different insurance and switched last year because of this and hip replacement so now I see UC Drs. That is where I saw the orthopedic surgeon. Had super hip replacement there! Will have to check out the Charger info. Thanks! Diana

Old 10-17-2021, 05:32 AM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

The reason I say that - and also look for who any pro dance company may use - is that they work with some elite folks who don't just want to be able to walk without pain but who whant to be able to perform at a high level sooner and better. It's difference in goals!1

Old 10-17-2021, 01:58 PM   #6
    dh4512
    (female)

dh4512 HB User

Titchou,
    Not sure what is around San Diego in the way of pro dance but will do a little research. More likely to find out what sports teams use, Chargers were here and other sports teams (hockey) plus Universities and Colleges! Thanks for the ideas. Diana

Reply Reply

Tags
    ankle surgery, calcaneal osteotomy, nurse, pain, pttd