It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• contemplating ankle fusion

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-09-2021, 05:38 PM   #1
    BeckyL
    (female)

BeckyL HB User
    contemplating ankle fusion

Hello, I has PTTD surgery in 2015. The surgery was successful in it healed properly but honestly, I walked better on a broken foot. I now have a brace that is cumbersome and hard to fit into a sneaker. I can no longer wear sandals or dress shoes and walking barefoot is awful. My back is in constant pain because I walk wrong. I can't walk more than about 200 feet without having to sit and I need a rollator to hold on to. I can't stand stationary for more than a few minutes and my back is on fire. My foot is constantly swollen and in pain. I saw my surgeon about a year ago and he said my ankle bone collapsed and my bones are pulverizing each other every time I take a step. He wants to fuse my ankle, he said I would no longer be in pain and I wouldn't be as restricted as I think but I am so afraid that if I do it, the outcome will be me not being able to walk at all sense my first surgery made it worse. I am 44 years old and 5'6" and I now weigh 330-340 pounds because I cannot do much. I haven't worked in 6 years, I can no longer go on walks, I sit to cook, do dishes, shower, etc...I am miserable and want my life back but I am afraid I will end up totally immobile. Does anyone have any thoughts or advise? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2021, 03:58 PM   #2
    Annie7679
    (female)

Annie7679 HB UserAnnie7679 HB User
    Re: contemplating ankle fusion

Hi, just from my experience:1. it seams that elective surgery you had before, failed, as you feel worse , have pain—- which means severe inflammation in your body. You have to avoid the surgeon, who did your surgery. I had pain after my elective bunion surgery, allowed the podiatrist who did the surgery, to do corrective surgery, that completely destroyed my foot. It was my big mistake. 2. Moreover, I went to “the best” orthopedic surgeon, who said that he will fix my foot by fusing my big toe. I trusted him. The toe was fused, very long recovery, pain continued, but now I cannot flex my toes, as I have no joint. I didn’t realize what it means no joint before the surgery. Now I have to walk with my foot completely flat. When they will fuse your ankle, how will you walk without joint? Don’t trust what you read on the internet. 3. There is no mystery about your condition, as everything is visible on x-rays. The reality is the medical professionals you’re talking don’t give you information about what is wrong with you. In my case later on I figured that my bones were shortened and connected and healed in the wrong position— called malunion. It created constant pain and difficulty walking. “the best “ surgeon never explained it to me. He was supposed to do graft to lengthen the bone, but he didn’t. fusion without lengthening didn’t help. Probably, in your case you also have malunion of the bones. So, how fusion alone will fix your problem? Why did your ankle collapse?

Old 09-10-2021, 08:19 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Have you considered an ankle replacement? I have a friend who had a successful one and is pleased with the outcome. I don't know where you live but if you live in or near a city with a professional dance company, a pro sports team or a major college athletic program, find out who they use and go see them. They will be very experienced.

And the toe fusion should not have left you with a flat foot. They are supposed to fuse it at an angle so that you can still roll off it. In fact, I had one and had a different angle used so that I can wear 2 inch heels! You may need to investigate compensation.

Old 09-12-2021, 04:57 PM   #4
    BeckyL
    (female)

BeckyL HB User

My surgeon told me my ankle collapsed because it was too stressed from my triple arthrodesis because the back of my foot is fused. I don't know how I will walk without an ankle joint, he told me I will and it's not as bad as I think but I am so worried I won't be able to walk at all because the first surgery made me walk so much worse. I got a second opinion and that surgeon told me my foot was a mess and it was too much for him to do. My foot flattens to the floor on the inside now when I walk, I have a brace to kinda push it to the right to straighten it out but it isn't working very good lately. I read so many things, I just don't know what to trust.

Old 09-12-2021, 05:04 PM   #5
    BeckyL
    (female)

BeckyL HB User

I considered ankle replacement but the surgeon told me because I am so young and they don't last long I would eventually need another one and he said if they fail, they don't fail just a little but they catastrophically fail. He said I could fuse it now and replace it down the road but obviously you can't replace it and then fuse it. Also, because I am so heavy now I am afraid all my weight would be too much for a replacement.

Old 09-12-2021, 09:14 PM   #6
    Annie7679
    (female)

I was a healthy person and never recovered from simple surgery. Actually had several corrective surgeries. The last one was supposed to be “a piece of cake”— to remove hardwear, that would stop the pain. It didn’t— I was screaming for days- as I see now it was so horrible to cut again in the inflamed place. 1. Were you informed before your triple arthrodesis that a possible complication would be collapsed ankle? I guess no, otherwise you wouldn’t do the arthrodesis. 2. What does it mean “it’s not as bad as I think”? I was told that my fusion with fix my problem , and it didn’t. I was sent for pain management- which means my surgery failed.3. What does it mean “ my foot was a mess”. Every patient has a right to know his diagnoses. It’s a mess is not a diagnosis. As I wrote before I believe that a reasonable explanation would be that your bones were not cut and reconnected in a right place, the procedure chosen for your operation was wrong— very common malpractice thing. That’s why everything is collapsing. 3. Do not trust nobody. It is just business for them. I know how you feel. I stopped doing more surgery. It is scary that they really don’t know what will be the outcome , and they really don’t care. Remember— nobody cares, they just want to get paid. Protect yourself, be well. Also, about replacement— it is true, after a few years you need another one, however, you can replace, and fuse later, but you can’t fuse, and then replace. Fusion is final.

Old 09-15-2021, 04:30 AM   #7
    BeckyL
    (female)

BeckyL HB User

I went to the surgeon yesterday and got new x-rays. She said my PTTD fusion is undercompensated and my ligament in my leg is stretched out. She wants to take the screws out of my foot and see if she can manipulate my ankle while I am asleep to see exactly what she has to do to correct it. She thinks she might have to do something with some bones in my front of my foot because if she just fuses my ankle, my foot will be crooked when I am standing flat on the floor. She made a lot of sense to me but I am so scared. She told me , if it is successful, I will be able to walk much better but I may need a shoe with a rocker bottom and if it doesn't work, I won't be any worse than I am now but I don't know if I believe that because I was told my first surgery would make me walk and it made it worse. Who do I believe???? She also advised against a replacement, she said it is not a good idea with a fusion already in place because it has a better chance of failing. She believes a fusion will work but as always, there is no guarantee.

The following user gives a hug of support to BeckyL:
    dh4512 (10-16-2021)
    Old 10-16-2021, 11:14 AM   #8
    dh4512
    (female)

dh4512 HB User

Becky,
    I have had PTTD for 2 yrs but have had to have hip replacement before anything can be done with my foot. May I ask, is your surgeon an orthopedic surgeon or podiatrist who does surgery? Thanks, Diana

Old 10-16-2021, 11:17 AM   #9
    dh4512
    (female)

dh4512 HB User

Annie7679,
    I just asked Becky this but would like to ask you too. Was your surgery done by an orthopedic surgeon or podiatrist who does surgery? I've seen both and am not sure which way go. Thanks, Diana

Old 10-16-2021, 05:56 PM   #10
    BeckyL
    (female)

BeckyL HB User

My surgeon was an orthopedic surgeon. I didn't know a podiatrist could do these types of surgeries, I thought they did things more like braces and inserts. If you have any information about podiatrists doing these things, please let me know. I would like all the information I can get before I decide what to do. Thank you so much!!!

Old 10-16-2021, 07:43 PM   #11
    dh4512
    (female)

dh4512 HB User

Becky,
    Thank you for answering. Yes, some podiatrists do some surgeries, not sure if all do. I went to one who would do a tendon transfer and some kind of osteotomy but I'm sorry I don't remember the whole name. He would also repair the spring tendon and lengthen the Achillies tendon. When I went to the orthopedic surgeon he recommended a subtalar fusion, PDL tendon transfer and some other things. He said that podiatrists can operate only below the ankle or the ankle and below and orthopedic surgeons can do all. I'm not sure which is best that's why I'm reading about it. My previous insurance also had podiatrists who do surgery and one told me 2 yrs ago that I was basically too old, 73 at the time, use othotics, which have not worked for me. Very painful. My current insurance uses only orthopedic surgeons on the feet. I'm in CA, don't know what other Drs do elsewhere. Thanks again for answering and hope this answers yours. Diana

Old 10-16-2021, 07:46 PM   #12
    dh4512
    (female)

dh4512 HB User

Becky,
    This board has been very informative and helpful. Trying to learn as much as I can. Foot surgery is a BIG step, not like my easy hip replacement! Diana

Old 10-17-2021, 01:12 PM   #13
    Annie7679
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dh4512 View Post
    Annie7679,
    I just asked Becky this but would like to ask you too. Was your surgery done by an orthopedic surgeon or podiatrist who does surgery? I've seen both and am not sure which way go. Thanks, Diana
    By podiatrist. They should never be allowed to do orthopedic surgeries.Hope your surgery will be successful .

Old 10-17-2021, 02:00 PM   #14
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You should only use an orthopedic surgeon who is Foot & Ankle Board certified. If you can find a sports med one - that's extra insurance that things will be done correctly. I've had 5 foot surgeries and all were done ny this kind of surgeon. If you live in or near a town with a pro sports team or major college athletic program, find out who they use and go see them. Also consider who pro dance conpanies use .

Old 10-17-2021, 04:19 PM   #15
    dh4512
    (female)

dh4512 HB User

Annie7679,
    Thanks for answering. I re read your post and see that your first surgery was a podiatrist and second the "best orthopedic surgeon". Right now my insurance covers a top orthopedic surgeon who had a different procedure than the podiatrist. He didn't think I was too old (75) and said it would help the pain. I'm just not convinced after reading posts here. Good to know your opinion on podiatrists and I will keep doing research! My biggest fear in NWB for 6-12 weeks at my age. Thanks again for the info! Diana

Reply Reply