It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Post-op calcaneal osteotomy, etc. HELP!

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-11-2022, 12:04 PM   #1
    vette599
    (female)

vette599 HB User
    Exclamation Post-op calcaneal osteotomy, etc. HELP!

I am a critical care RN (most of my background is is cardiopulmonary issues, so I'm not very familiar with ortho problems!) and I work 12 hour shifts in an ICU/CCU. The work is very physically demanding.

I started having pain in my left ankle in the summer of 2019. I walked on my foot until the pain was pretty much unbearable, because of the hospital's desperate need for staff throughout the pandemic, and had surgery to repair it on November 4, 2021. Prior to my surgery, I had to wear a walking boot for ~2 months for pain control, just to be able to work.

My surgery included: posterior tibial tendon repair, flexor digitorum longus tendon transfer, spring ligament repair, medial displacement calcaneal osteotomy with internal fixation, open medial cuneiform wedge osteotomy with bone graft, gastrocnemius recession.

I'm six months out and the pain and swelling I have are, in my opinion, unreasonable. Pre-op, my surgeon made it sound like I would be back to work light duty at 10 weeks and back to work full duty, as an RN in the unit, at 12-16 weeks. I have not been able to meet any of those milestones. I went back to work light duty at 12 weeks and full duty at 18 weeks. I elevate and ice this ankle as much as possible, and my physical therapist even gave me a lymphedema pump to use at home, which I use for an hour each night. I wear compression socks almost 24 hours a day, as well as supportive tennis shoes and custom orthotics when walking. I am taking 1,200 mg of gabapentin a day, in addition to ibuprofen 800 mg three times a day.

I still have numbness/pins and needles on the outside of the foot. The pain in my heel, ankle, and leg is incredibly intense at times. I cannot rest my heel on anything due to discomfort - I have to let it dangle off the side of the recliner. I went to the first general admission/floor concert since before my surgery on Saturday night and have been in severe pain and had a great deal of swelling ever since, in spite of RICE, anti-inflammatory meds, etc. I contemplated not going to the show, but told myself that it's something I should be able to do at this point in my recovery.

Now I'm wondering if I'm lying to myself, because four days later, I'm still in an incredible amount of pain and still have a great deal of edema in the ankle.
    I'm having a very difficult time with this and am extremely frustrated.

This time last year, I had four jobs and was on the go all the time. Now, I can barely make it through a 12 hour shift and spend the next day RICE'ing my foot, which has forced me to go part-time at work, which, in turn, has affected us financially.

Please share your own recovery information with me and let me know if I'm just being impatient or right to be concerned, along with any recommendations you might have! Thank you so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply