It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Did people think you were a wimp to have bunion surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-05-2003, 11:52 AM   #1
    snodove
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snodove HB User
    Question Did people think you were a wimp to have bunion surgery

Hi,
    I was wondering if you had told people you were havng bunion surgery and they thought... why do you want to have that. It isn't such a big deal to have a bunion. I have had a few act like that. I would like to say cuz it makes your foot and toe and bones and leg hurt that is why.... I don't get mad often but that kind of upsetting when they think a bunion isn't a big deal.
    Thanks, Polly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2003, 12:22 PM   #2
    supermom802

supermom802 HB User
    Nobody ever said that to me. The first time I had bunion surgery I felt sort of guilty. I had convinced myself that it was a sort of self-indulgent surgery similar to a facelift. I needed help around the house for purely selfish reasons. Then when I talked to a surgeon he said I would end up in a wheelchair or confined to a bed by the time I was in my sixties. I am 44. For those of you who are deciding to have this surgery now or ten years from now you have to of course listen to your doctor and get a second and third opinion. However, using these crutches at agee 44 is much more difficult now than it is for my teenagers. I can't imagine fooling with crutches when I am in my sixties or seventies. Or worse yet fooling with a wheelchair.

Old 11-05-2003, 02:31 PM   #3
    snodove
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snodove HB User
    Hi Supermom

Hi Supermom,
    When did you have your surgery? I have mine Dec 31. Thank goodness cuz I found out today our health insurance is going to double in 2004. I will be glad to have it done. I know my surgeon told me if I waited my foot would just get worse and it is already painful to walk alot. I am 45 so we are close in age.
    I hope you are doing ok. I dread the crutches. I am not very graceful as it is. I know though I really needs this done. My husband is supportive too thank goodness but some others don't understand how bad a bunion can hurt your feet left untreated. Thanks so much, Snodove

Old 11-05-2003, 03:06 PM   #4
    scoozel
    (female)

scoozel HB User
    Hi Snodove,

When I told people at work that I was having bunion surgery, half of them threw off their own shoes and showed me their bunions, none of which were as advanced as mine are. I think that some people like to feel like they are much stronger than other people, so they want to act like they can endure something you can't. Once I showed them my own bunions, they quit talking. It's a personal choice, and my doctor also said that it would just get worse, and after dealing with this my whole life, I was ready.

Old 11-05-2003, 09:51 PM   #5
    sly_cutiepie

sly_cutiepie HB User
    Talking

Hi Snodove,
    I haven't told many people about my bunionectomy (I'm a little embarrassed), but the few women that I've confided in have always applauded my bravery for having had the surgery. It's happened three times already and I've only told 5 people! Usually their comments revolve around the fact that they know someone who's had the surgery or they're contemplating having the surgery themselves but they're afraid to. It's very uplifting to get such kudos especially considering the fact that I never had any post-op pain at all. So, I'm sorry that you've received negative feedback but I'm glad that you're not taking it too seriously. Good luck with your recovery! BTW, I'm 42 and can definitely relate to your concerns about having surgery now rather than later.

Old 11-05-2003, 10:39 PM   #6
    bigbadfeet

bigbadfeet HB User
    Snodove

I haven't had that reaction myself. Mostly people have been sympathetic or curious. I had to tell people at work of course, because I was out for 5 weeks and they DID notice I was gone.
    If you run across someone who doesn't think a bunion is a big thing, it's only because they are ignorant of the true facts. It can be your opportunity to educate them. My approach has been to tell as few people as necessary.

Janet

Old 11-06-2003, 12:53 AM   #7
    snodove
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snodove HB User
    Hi,
    That is what my doctor said my GP and the surgeon that it would get worse. I figure the way it feels now ... better get it fixed. I think you make a good point that people like to be stronger or they like to think they have a worse problem than you. Thanks

Old 11-06-2003, 12:57 AM   #8
    snodove
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snodove HB User
    Hi Cutiepie,
    That is good you had postive feedback. I can't say all mine were bad but still you just felt uneasy when people did that. Yes, I think it is better to get it done too and ,also, found out our insurance is going to double next next year which isn't very good. Just barely got this done this year. lol Dec 31. Wow , three times. I sure hope you do well this time too. Thanks again.

Old 11-06-2003, 12:59 AM   #9
    snodove
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snodove HB User
    Hi Janet,
    I think that is a good idea to not tell many people. I haven't told many. I know one lady I know she has had it done alreday and she has been very supportive. One of hers went back but she knows how painful they are.
    Thank you again so much. I think keeping my mouth shut is a good bet too.
    Take care, Polly

Old 11-06-2003, 05:49 AM   #10
    supermom802

supermom802 HB User
    Hi snodove

I had my latest surgery on September 15, 2003. It is a redo of October 2001 (bilateral bunions) surgery. During my September 15 surgery the surgeon put 5 screws and 5 pins in my foot. I'm pretty much over feeling weird about having my feet operated on. I just want them so they don't hurt. My recovery is very slow just as my orthopedic surgeon said it would be. I start PT next week. I am almost 8 weeks post op and I am not supposed to have any weight on my foot. I've cheated the last few days and walked without crutches at times. My husband left for Taiwan on Sunday and I can't stand it anymore. My foot hurts a little bit. I get my second foot done in February (I think). Keep us posted on your surgery

Old 11-06-2003, 04:28 PM   #11
    mom2chet

mom2chet HB User
    supermom80

Be careful about walking on that foot when you are not supposed to. I know the crutches are awful but it would be a shame to mess up a good job by walking on your foot before it it totally healed.

I got my Roll-A-Bout yesterday and I can tell you it is going to be worth every penny that my insurance won't pay. I had a much better day at school today on the Roll-A-Bout as compared to the past few days on crutches.

Old 11-07-2003, 01:23 PM   #12
    crankyc

crankyc HB User
    Question bunion surgery for wimps?

I really had to reply to this! Compared to having a shattered leg, maybe it's not such a big deal. But so what? Severe bunions left untreated start to interfere with the other toes and foot function in general. I guess I was lucky that all my family, friends and co-workers think I did a brave thing.
    Chris

Old 11-07-2003, 02:51 PM   #13
    snodove
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snodove HB User
    Wow 5 pins and 5 screws ouch. I am not sure if they hurt or not. I have had other surgeries, eyes,kidney stones,lithoptripsies, gall badder and a few others but not my feet. I know alot about kidney stones. lol
    Thanks for your reply. Hope you are doing ok today. Will let you know how my surgery goes Dec 31 hugs, Polly

Quote:
    Originally Posted by supermom802
    Hi snodove

I had my latest surgery on September 15, 2003. It is a redo of October 2001 (bilateral bunions) surgery. During my September 15 surgery the surgeon put 5 screws and 5 pins in my foot. I'm pretty much over feeling weird about having my feet operated on. I just want them so they don't hurt. My recovery is very slow just as my orthopedic surgeon said it would be. I start PT next week. I am almost 8 weeks post op and I am not supposed to have any weight on my foot. I've cheated the last few days and walked without crutches at times. My husband left for Taiwan on Sunday and I can't stand it anymore. My foot hurts a little bit. I get my second foot done in February (I think). Keep us posted on your surgery

Old 11-07-2003, 02:53 PM   #14
    snodove
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snodove HB User
    Hi Chris, I am glad my husband is supportive. I think at first he might have not been but lately my foot has really ached and my leg too. Seems my toes are all being pushed over even more and the ball of my foot sometimes feels just pain weird and hurts to walk on it. I will be glad to have this done next month but wanted to wait til after Christmas because we do alot during hunting season and the holidays. Thanks, Polly

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crankyc
    I really had to reply to this! Compared to having a shattered leg, maybe it's not such a big deal. But so what? Severe bunions left untreated start to interfere with the other toes and foot function in general. I guess I was lucky that all my family, friends and co-workers think I did a brave thing.
    Chris

Old 11-23-2003, 05:28 AM   #15
    erehgall
    (female)

erehgall HB User
    Re: Did people think you were a wimp to have bunion surgery

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snodove
    Hi,
    I was wondering if you had told people you were havng bunion surgery and they thought... why do you want to have that. It isn't such a big deal to have a bunion. I have had a few act like that. I would like to say cuz it makes your foot and toe and bones and leg hurt that is why.... I don't get mad often but that kind of upsetting when they think a bunion isn't a big deal.
    Thanks, Polly

I've felt embarassed to tell people I've had bunion surgery and when I do (I"m still on crutches & ortho shoes), they seem disappointed, as if they wanted to hear a better story. In the big scheme of things bunions soun so trivial, especially when so many people are battling cancer & other diseases, but my feet have been hurting me since my late teens when the damage had already been done to my feet (Size 11 shoes really weren't sold back then so I had to suffer in shoes that were too small for my feet, and that was not my choice)!

People who think bunion surgery is self*indulgent/cosmetic*motivated do not understand what it's like to have constant pain in their feet, or to go through shoes so quickly because the bunions wear through the shoe. There is definitely a misconception about bunions, maybe because it's such a funny word. People are just uninformed about the pain that bunions cause, and that part of the problem is hereditary, NOT because we've been wearing stiletto heels! Tight shoes growing up have caused my bunions to be the way they are but I've never even been able to wear high heels and it just drives me crazy when people make comments like that, and make me feel like my foot problems were entirely self*induced!

Closed Thread