It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• really bad flat feet

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-22-2003, 03:34 PM   #1
    bhalo

bhalo HB User
    really bad flat feet

I have really bad flat feet, to the point where when there is no weight on my feet there is still no arch. Although I can't complain about the rest of me, my feet are the only issue. Anyone with flat feet, how did you get over being really self conscious of your feet? I have had some friends notice my flat footedness, especially in the summer, and they meant no harm by what they said, but its just that I'm embarassed of them. Thanks.
    ~Deanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2003, 07:27 PM   #2
    Ronk0747

Ronk0747 HB User
    Re: really bad flat feet

Hi,

I am now recovering from major surgery to replace a tendon and reconstruct (fuse) a severly collapsed arch. Have to be non-weight bearing on the operative foot for 3 months. Luckily, only my left foot was involved so a can get around on crutches.

If the only problem you have with your flat feet is that you're self-conscious of them, you are very lucky. I can't believe that you don't have some foot pain after walking a distance but if not, good for you. If so, see an orthopedist about posssible treatments. And the sooner you do, the easier it will be to treat since flat feet only get flatter over time.

Ron

Old 11-23-2003, 11:59 PM   #3
    sealover
    Veteran
    (female)

sealover HB Usersealover HB User

I can totally understand what you are feeling regarding your self-consciousness with your flat feet. I hardly have an arch and have suffered with pain many times in my life due to my flat feet. It's bothered me that I don't have a normal arch like many other people, and I cannot wear just any pair of shoes. I would love to wear high heels for dress up, and I used to wear them when I was younger and my feet were more forgiving, but now I have to wear low heels. I was born with just a slight arch...my mother also has feet like mine, though my sister has a normal arch.

Somehow, we are going to have to work on our low esteem regarding our feet. Remember, there are many people out there who have serious conditions that prevent them from walking, and they would love to be able to walk like we can, so we are very lucky in that sense. However, I just recently injured my left foot and have been unable to walk on that foot for over a week, and I don't know when I will be able to use that foot, but I realize now how I took for granted the simple fact that I could walk!

Please realize that if you don't suffer from pain in your feet, you are very fortunate. But if a person judges you based on how your feet look, then that person is very superficial, and I wouldn't give that person the time of day.

Old 11-24-2003, 07:32 AM   #4
    cinderella777

cinderella777 HB User

out of curiosity. What about the flat footedness makes your foot look funny?
    I have flat feet but it's not that big of an issue - it's the bunions that came with the flat feet!

Old 11-24-2003, 08:38 AM   #5
    Ronk0747

Ronk0747 HB User

Hi,

Ditto to what Seallover said. If people are going to diss you because of the appearance of your feet, good riddance to them!!

Ron

Old 11-24-2003, 12:30 PM   #6
    bhalo

bhalo HB User

Thank you for all of your replies.
    I do suffer quite a bit from these feet, especially after I have been walking for a long time. So I didn't luck out with theses flat feet. In answer to the question regarding what makes me embarassed of my flat footedness, its pretty much just that I'm self conscious of them b/c they aren't normal, I can't wear the shoes I'd like, etc.
    Other than that I don't see a problem. Jsut one more question, anyone with flat feet seem to notice their feet getting flatter? cuz I have. Thanks!
    ~Deanna

Old 11-24-2003, 01:32 PM   #7
    Ronk0747

Ronk0747 HB User

Hi Deanna,

I did notice the one foot getting flatter over the years. This was because the tibial tendon was ruptured so there was nothing holding the bones in the form of an arch. All of the weight was on the bones so they compressed more and more. This is why I finally had to bite the bullet and have the surgery. If I had the surgery earlier, it probably wouldn't have been quite as involved. If I had waited longer, the surgery would have been even more complicated as multiple fusions would have been necessary. You see how that works.

You mention that you cannot wear the shoes you'd like to. I am assuming you are referring to heels. I strongly suggest you wear sneakers or flats and that you don't wear heels except on very special occasions. Look for something with good arch support. I find that my New Balance 608 sneakers are very comfortable and supportive (anyone need a spare left, LOL!). Wearing those and a pair of Spenco orthotics was the best thing for me for a long time.

Pain is telling you to do something to rectify the situation. As I said, before, see an orthopedist soon as the condition will only get worse if it's untreated.

Ron

Old 11-24-2003, 10:05 PM   #8
    sealover
    Veteran
    (female)

sealover HB Usersealover HB User
    Smile Re: really bad flat feet

I wanted to suggest that you start by making an appointment with a podiatrist because these doctors specialize in conditions of the feet.

By the way, high heels are bad for feet anyway! If I am correct, by wearing a 2" or higher heel, you are putting 3x your body weight into the balls of your feet. And shoes with pointy toes...they can do a lot of damage to your feet/toes, too. So by wearing comfortable shoes appropriate for your flat feet, you will be saving your feet in the long run, and your feet will be healthier.

Closed Thread