It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Unsympathetic coworkers-Bunion Surgery...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-05-2003, 11:43 PM   #1
    DoggieMom
    Inactive

DoggieMom HB User
    Unsympathetic coworkers-Bunion Surgery...

Tonight I went to a work party and realized that the people I work with MUST be thinking negatively about me. I am getting a bilateral bunionectomy in a week and am TOTALLY afraid, totally nervous... but yet, the people I work with are seemingly unsympathetic towards my situation. I am a teacher, on my feet all day, and felt that I needed to get this done now. Yet, my co-workers don't seem to understand the pain I am in and do not understand how serious an operation this is. Has anyone else out there experienced apathy from others concerning this? They all seem to think that bunions are humorous and wanted to SEE what they looked like! It was awful! I was so embarrassed! They thought it was funny that I was going to take off a month from work... yet my bunions cause so much pain that my weekends are spent at home, trying to recuperate from my week of working on my feet!
    Anyone experience similar?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2003, 10:01 AM   #2
    snodove
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snodove HB User
    Re: Unsympathetic coworkers-Bunion Surgery...

Hi,
    I am having bunion surgery to the end of Dec. I stay at home but still when I tell people sometimes they make you feel " what is the big deal." Or they say I thought that was just a little bump on the foot. Dud. I know at night alot lately my foot hurts so bad and feels funny. Can't explain it and if I am on my feet alot then it is worse. Sometimes the pain is up to my knee.
    My husband though understand I don't even think he realizes what they do even though I told him. I think he thinks it will be just a little minor surgery but my doctor told me he will cut the bone, move the bones and put pins or screws in.
    I am sorry for what you are going though. When do you have your surgery.
    Perhaps we can be a support to one another.
    Thanks, Polly

Last edited by moderator2; 12-08-2003 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the board posting guidelines if you wish to maintain your posting privileges on these message boards. It is your personal responsibility, you agreed. Thank you.

Old 12-06-2003, 12:09 PM   #3
    C-Spitfire

C-Spitfire HB User

I had bunion surgery 7 weeks ago, and I am still not back to work. The bone was cut and repositioned and 1 screw put in. Bunion surgery has a way longer recovery time than I ever thought. The main thing afterwards is the swelling. I cant put a shoe on, so I cant go back to work. I stand all day and am not allowed to work with no shoe, or an open toed shoe. Also my big toe is very stiff. I plan to call the doctor to see if that will get better after the swelling is gone, or if I need therapy to get the flexibility back. Be sure to ask your doctor questions. I like my doctor, but I feel I could have been better informed of the possibilities during recovery time.

Old 12-06-2003, 12:59 PM   #4
    Rick7799
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rick7799 HB User

There is an old saying that goes, too many people don't care what happens as long as it doesn't happen to them. When it does all of a sudden it's a problem. I try and keep that in mind when someone is hurting either physically or emotionally.

Old 12-07-2003, 12:06 PM   #5
    DoggieMom
    Inactive

DoggieMom HB User

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's true, people do not understand the extent of what you have to go through until it happens to them. I realized, too, that most of the people who were showing sympathy were my older coworkers who have more life experience and realize what it's like to go through a surgery. The ones who were unsupportive were the younger people who have never gone through anything similar. Snodove- I'm having my surgery next week, Dec. 12th. It would be great to have someone to share the experience with. When is yours?

Old 12-08-2003, 03:00 AM   #6
    snodove
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snodove HB User

Hi, Dec 12. That isn't to far away. I have my surgery Dec 31st. Wanted to wait til after the Holidays and Christmas but since my pain is getting worse at times I sure will be glad to get it done. Thanks, Polly

Last edited by moderator2; 12-08-2003 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the board posting guidelines if you wish to maintain your posting privileges on these message boards. It is your personal responsibility, you agreed. Thank you.

Old 12-08-2003, 02:17 PM   #7
    Rick7799
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rick7799 HB User

[QUOTE=DoggieMom] It's true, people do not understand the extent of what you have to go through until it happens to them. I realized, too, that most of the people who were showing sympathy were my older coworkers who have more life experience and realize what it's like to go through a surgery. The ones who were unsupportive were the younger people who have never gone through anything similar. QUOTE]

You hit that right on the mark. When you are young nothing is ever going to happen to you, so you think. I just want you to know we care on this board. I went through a period with heel spurs and is was no picnic. Keep us posted.

Last edited by Rick7799; 12-08-2003 at 02:19 PM.

Old 12-30-2003, 12:53 PM   #8
    carolcrone

carolcrone HB User

Most people thought my bunionectomy was just to shave a little off the bump. My sister was appalled yesterday at the doc's to see the x-ray with the screw in place & the big incision. They don't realize the bone is actually cut. Lucky the body has great healing powers if the mind is in sync. Let's keep our thoughts positive & forget the unsympathetic coworkers!

Old 12-30-2003, 06:38 PM   #9
    DoggieMom
    Inactive

DoggieMom HB User

Well, I must say, this board has been the best thing for me- where else could I share my concerns and hear from so many people in the same situation?! It has now been 2 1/2 weeks since the surgery, and I've been thinking a lot about things... one thought has been how my job is NOT my life and how insignifigant the opinions of co-workers are! My family and true friends have been supportive and caring, and they'll be there for me forever! The people who really matter will be there for you when you go through something like surgery.

Old 01-03-2004, 06:40 PM   #10
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

DoggieMom, you're right that your younger coworkers just haven't been there, and also, aren't teachers typically a little more reserved that ordinary mortals?

My youngest is a teacher and is almost autistic with me. Of course she talks to others, but somehow it's like we know each other too well or something. We are the same astrological sign. She was born on my b.d.

She would go to another state to help out my daughter-in-law who was hospitalized for a week recently, partly because she's a peer, I guess, but not acknowledge my foot problem at all. Just make sure you never get dependent on those coworkers.

Old 01-05-2004, 08:46 AM   #11
    carolcrone

carolcrone HB User

You're about 1.5 weeks ahead of me in recovery, so I'm interested in what you can do now. Are you still on crutches? Hope not. Can you drive yet? I practiced some left foot driving over the weekend, but it doesn't seem very safe; hopefully I'll get a flatter boot tomorrow when I go for my 2 week checkup, that will allow me to drive. Does your foot still hurt & does it swell when you put it down after having it elevated?

Old 01-08-2004, 10:12 PM   #12
    DooBugsMom

DooBugsMom HB User

One thing that I've told people when they've asked what I had done is that I had "major reconstructive foot surgery." I don't mention the bunion part because that word seems to weird people out. Someone told me they thought a bunion was a large, over-sized callous. WHAT??!?! So, to simplify it, I just tell them it was major, reconstructive foot surgery...which it was! With cutting my bone, moving it, placing two screws in my foot, removing my neuroma, having hammertoe surgery on all my little toes, uncurling my fifth toe (removing bone from it, too), removing two bone spurs and shaving off the bunion...I'd call that major! There are 10 incisions on my foot!

Old 10-01-2004, 06:31 AM   #13
    tiptoedancer

tiptoedancer HB User
    Question Re: Unsympathetic coworkers-Bunion Surgery...

I felt sympathy for your situation, on both feet. I just had unilateral bunion surgery. I hope you are back to normal, now. In my case I would have a sensation, that would only be relieved when I would pop the joint in my toe I read that what that is doing is releasing the tension in the ligaments, and tendons due to inflammation, that should not be there. The bunion caused the inflammation, so I have told and read. I am a healthcare worker I wonder how long I should stay off my feet, for a prolonged time, or should I get a P/T job for now, most of the work I find is only, "stand up" work. Tell me when did you go back, although mine is different cause I lift patients, and such. Thank you Leonor It is a big incision, as far as I am concerned, I felt lilke a bag of rice, when he pulled the stitches out.

Closed Thread