It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Calling All People With Ankle Problems!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-13-2003, 11:46 AM   #1
    SharonB

SharonB HB User
    Angry Calling All People With Ankle Problems!

OK I could really use some advice. I have read through old posts and have seen that there are some veterans here when it comes to ankle problems.

I have had 7 ankle surgeries since Jan '01. It all started with a tri-malleolar ankle fracture, and lets just say 3 doctors, several arthroscopies, debridements, calcaneal osteotomy, and hardware removals later I am in worse pain than I was the day of the original injury! I now have tendon, ligament, and nerve problems, the hardware in my heel feel like metal spikes everytime I walk, plus pretty severe arthritis. I don't remember what it's like to sleep a full night or take a step without excrutiating pain.

Beside the obvious problems, I just turned 20 yesterday which pretty much blows my chances of having a total ankle replacement. My doctor has recommended fusion. He hasn't been specific which kind it will be but told me that's my ONLY option.

So here are my questions:

1.) Are there other options besides fusion for younger patients like me?
    2.) Can fusion make you worse?
    3.) What happens if fusion fails?
    4.) Are there any guidelines my doctor should be following for treating my pain? Or is it acceptable to be tortured daily by my ankle?
    5.) Has anyone had fusion and loved/regretted it?
    6.) Anyone have any suggestions for pain control?
    7.) What braces have worked well for you?

Sharon

The following user gives a hug of support to SharonB:
    flint1951 (03-11-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2003, 03:30 PM   #2
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User
    Displacement Fracture Was Set?

Looks like none of us know, but I certainly would NOT try fusion just on the word of one doctor. I'm scared of surgery, even if five doctors recommended it w/out knowing any others did.

Did they have to set your ankle and did you stay off of it long enough for it to heal? Do people your age ever get arthritis after something like that? You could try otc "glucosamine chondroitin" just to see if it helps. That's supposed to lubricate joints. At least that harmless experiment would tell you if there's any arthritis. I don't have a clue. Sorry. Good luck.

Old 12-18-2003, 03:35 PM   #3
    Eagle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User
    Having Read Your Post Again

May I ask if you went to an ER when you broke your ankle, and they set it and put you in a cast with crutches? Did it get reinjured? Did you walk on it too soon? What were all the surgeries for, to reset it? How in the world did you do such a bad fracture?

I see you do have some arthritis, so at least try the otc stuff that most of us older people take, at least three tablets a day. It should help some of the pain. Maybe that's your whole problem.

Closed Thread