It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Scar Tissue - has anyone had it surgically removed?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-29-2004, 09:20 PM   #1
    crutches

crutches HB User
    Scar Tissue - has anyone had it surgically removed?

Had bunion surgery 8 months ago and my big toe is stiff, will bend up but not down and sticks up off the floor. After lots of xrays, ultrasound, physio etc the dr says it is scar tissue that is blocking the toe from bending and I can either leave it as is or have surgery to remove it. This means 8 weeks off work again. Has anyone else ever had this and successfully had the scar tissue removed? Did it make the toe flexible again? Did the scar tissue come back after it was removed? I'm not sure what I want to do. Just going to take my time and think about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2004, 08:14 AM   #2
    PMCW58

PMCW58 HB User
    Re: Scar Tissue - has anyone had it surgically removed?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crutches
    Had bunion surgery 8 months ago and my big toe is stiff, will bend up but not down and sticks up off the floor. After lots of xrays, ultrasound, physio etc the dr says it is scar tissue that is blocking the toe from bending and I can either leave it as is or have surgery to remove it. This means 8 weeks off work again. Has anyone else ever had this and successfully had the scar tissue removed? Did it make the toe flexible again? Did the scar tissue come back after it was removed? I'm not sure what I want to do. Just going to take my time and think about it.
    Did you say that you had tried physical therapy?

Old 01-30-2004, 10:10 AM   #3
    Ami72

Ami72 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crutches
    I had scar tissue removed from my first surgery, but I also had other procedures performed on my toe (akin osteotomy). I am now 2 weeks post op, so I can't really tell you if the procedure worked as far as stiffness is concerned. What kind of surgery did you have the first time? My first doctor never used any hardware to realign my toe, which led to most of my problems. Now I have wires in my toe, and so far, it appears to be straight and does not stick up off the floor anymore.

Old 01-30-2004, 11:22 AM   #4
    crutches

crutches HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PMCW58
    Did you say that you had tried physical therapy?
    Yes, I've had tons of physio, tried 2 different physiotherapists and also went for massage therapy. Nothing helped.

Old 01-30-2004, 11:26 AM   #5
    crutches

crutches HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ami72
    I had scar tissue removed from my first surgery, but I also had other procedures performed on my toe (akin osteotomy). I am now 2 weeks post op, so I can't really tell you if the procedure worked as far as stiffness is concerned. What kind of surgery did you have the first time? My first doctor never used any hardware to realign my toe, which led to most of my problems. Now I have wires in my toe, and so far, it appears to be straight and does not stick up off the floor anymore.
    I had the major bunion surgery and have 2 permanents screws, was in a non weight bearing cast for 6 weeks. He did some clean up with the joint capsule and releasing the tendons etc but nothing major done to the joint that won't move now. I'd be interested to know how you recover from your recent surgery. Please keep us posted. Glad to hear it looks good so far. My toe looks straight now but now it looks stupid cause it's sticking up. It's not painful just very annoying.

Closed Thread