It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• 3 wk bunion post op questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2004, 05:39 AM   #1
    HappyMama

HappyMama HB User
    Question 3 wk bunion post op questions

I'm 3 weeks 2 days post op - double bunionectomy w/ permanent screws and have a few questions.

For others that are in this position, do you all walk normally or are you shuffling around? I do the shuffle, putting the pressure moreso on the back of my feet.

My left incision is very clean and thin. The right one however is sloppy looking. It's mangled looking and hurts me the majority of the time whereas I hardly ever feel my left one. When you all were / are at my stage, did the incisions hurt you?

Another thing that I'm concerned about is it just seems to me that my right foot has a little bump where the bunion was and the big toe is not straight but rather is leaning in towards the second toe like it used to be. From what I can remember the first time I saw it post op it was straight and there was no bump, but I only got to see it for a few minutes when they changed the bandages a few days after surgery so I don't exactly remember. Could it possibly be reforming or perhaps it's just swollen? I don't know and it makes me nervous. If I did all this just for it to regrow I am going to be so extremely frustrated.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2004, 06:21 AM   #2
    rileyroe
    (female)

rileyroe HB User
    Re: 3 wk bunion post op questions

Hi HappyMama!

I guess I would have to say that I walk more normal than shuffle.....I take steps, but sometimes I put the majority of my weight on the outsides of my feet and at other times I actually take normal steps...and try to bend my toe as I walk. Its feel okay when I walk normal, but I think I am scared to do it all the time!

Both of my incisons are still both really tender. They aren't real pretty, but the doctor told me they will start looking better as they heal. They are still real red, and there is even a spot on each one that has a small lump. He said the lump will also smooth out as they heal.

I don't notice my toes leaning towards the other toes....but they are not perfectly straight. Did you by chance take any pictures before your surgery? I did, and when I think my toes don't look straight I look at my before picture and realize that they are straight!! If you didn't take pictures, have your doctor show you the x-rays he took before surgery and then your most recent x-rays and you can compare that way. I do remember my toes being totally straight at my forst post-op visit (3 days) and the doctor told me then that they wouldn't be that straight....they were so straight because they were swollen. I would think if you have perm. screw (so do I) that there isn't much of a chance that they can move very much at all. My doctor told me on Wed that the chances of them coming back are slim to none.

I am curious what everyones incisions are like??? Mine are about 3 1/2 to 4 inches long....starting at the middle of my big toe. I have read about other people having 2 or 3 incisions...I guess I thought everyone would have the same type of incision!

Relax...I am sure you will have beautiful feet once everything heals....It just seems like is taking forever for that to happen!!! Have you thought about trying Mederma? I just bought a tube a few nights ago, and have been putting it on religiously so I am hoping it works!

Have a great day!! Mandy

Old 01-30-2004, 07:11 AM   #3
    PMCW58

PMCW58 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HappyMama
    I'm 3 weeks 2 days post op - double bunionectomy w/ permanent screws and have a few questions.

For others that are in this position, do you all walk normally or are you shuffling around? I do the shuffle, putting the pressure moreso on the back of my feet.

My left incision is very clean and thin. The right one however is sloppy looking. It's mangled looking and hurts me the majority of the time whereas I hardly ever feel my left one. When you all were / are at my stage, did the incisions hurt you?

Another thing that I'm concerned about is it just seems to me that my right foot has a little bump where the bunion was and the big toe is not straight but rather is leaning in towards the second toe like it used to be. From what I can remember the first time I saw it post op it was straight and there was no bump, but I only got to see it for a few minutes when they changed the bandages a few days after surgery so I don't exactly remember. Could it possibly be reforming or perhaps it's just swollen? I don't know and it makes me nervous. If I did all this just for it to regrow I am going to be so extremely frustrated.

Thanks!
    Hi Happy Mama
    I'm 3 weeks and 3 days post op on my right foot bunionectomy and I must say, since you had both feet done I'm impressed you're walking at all! I am shuffling along and I only had one foot done! I wear a blue shoe and walk on either the side of my foot or my heel. I am not supposed to put any weight on the ball of my foot.

As for the incisions: I have three of them (my feet were in that worst 10% category). The one on top of my foot (where the permanent screw is) is perfectly smooth, scab is off and you can hardly see it but the one on the side of my foot where the bunion was is a doozy of an incision. It's sort of rough looking and still has the dark "scab" over the incision. It's gross looking if you ask me

I had my left foot done last May. There is a small bump there where the bunion used to be (and it was a huge bunion)but I'm not sure it looks like a bunion. My husband says normal feet look like that. AND I don't think big toes are perfectly straight. I don't think it's unusual for big toes to have a small angle. My physical therapist told me that would look weird to be straight up...she thought my foot looked very natural. I know for a fact your foot is definitely still swollen. My foot was swollen for a good 4 months.

Hang in there...I think the recovery for this surgery is slow so just be patient and hang in there...
    PMCW (Paula)

Last edited by PMCW58; 01-30-2004 at 02:06 PM.

Old 01-30-2004, 11:31 AM   #4
    carolcrone

carolcrone HB User

I'm 5 weeks post-op & last night noticed that my big toe seems to be slanting back toward the 2nd toe again. The first 3 weeks it was definitely pointing straight forward. I have pictures that show that. Now, instead of the bunion bump, the whole area protrudes, but I'm hoping that's just continued swelling of the joint. I'd NEVER go thru this again, so I'm really hoping that the slanting big toe is normal. The incision was about 4" long & yes, it still hurts. The scab is still firmly attached, so I haven't been able to use the Mederma cream yet.

Old 01-30-2004, 03:11 PM   #5
    sweetficus

sweetficus HB User

My incision was never a problem (now 4 weeks postop Austin w/pin), it is 4 inches long on the top of my big toe and a thin red slightly raised line. I had subcuticular stitches - much better cosmetic result than the regular kind supposedly. I do have a lot of extra scar tissue where the pin was; my doctor said it was the most she has ever seen (great, yeah); the pin was really painful the whole time it was in (3-4 weeks).

the big toe "drifting" back is also my concern - now improved after I "fixed" it (see my previous posts) and wearing my ace bandage wrapped pretty tightly and wrapped to "splint" the big toe (I have not changed it since my doctor put it on last week and scared me w/ her warnings).
    Again I think it is the supporting soft tissues (muscles, ligaments, and tendons) w/ their "memory" of the bunion, also altered foot mechanics that contributed to the bunion in the first place (like having flat feet, overpronating, or tight calf muscles, like I just read online somewhere), that will cause reformation of the bunion.
    My problem is hypermobility (I was told I have very loose ligaments, I am very flexible). This other doctor told me that 30% of bunions will recur (don't have specifics of time interval though). That's why I was asking about regulators and splints to wear after surgery as "preventive" supports (I ordered one in the mail to try), as the healing process will be at least a few months more even while wearing regular shoes
    also if the doctor does not do a tendon release on the big toe (toward the 2nd toe) and tighten the joint capsule on the other side of the big toe (toward the other foot), the bunion will tend to recur

I wish I had known this site and researched the internet before my surgery as much as I am doing now about bunions, b/c I have learned a lot now!

Old 01-31-2004, 10:00 AM   #6
    HappyMama

HappyMama HB User

Thanks everybody for your replies. I appreciate it!

Mandy, my left incision is about 2 1/2 inches long. My right one though is probably 4 inches long (that bunion was worse). I haven't tried that cream although I did put a little Neosporin on it the other day. My feet are getting really dry now and peeling so I'm putting extra lotion on them.

I did take before pics and they are ten thousand times better. I just hope they don't redevelop. I go to the doc Monday morning so I'm anxious to get a report then. He's going to give me toe exercises at that point to do. I'm looking so forward to being "normal" again. This recovery process is soooo long and it really is driving me nuts!

Old 01-31-2004, 10:28 AM   #7
    rileyroe
    (female)

rileyroe HB User

let us know how your appointment goes on monday!! good luck!

Old 02-01-2004, 08:40 AM   #8
    sweetficus

sweetficus HB User

I also can't believe how long the recovery is taking. It's been a full month and it seems so long since I ever walked normally, much less run or work-out like I used to. It's funny how much we (I) take for granted, like taking a shower, or jumping up to get the phone on the 2nd ring (damn, another telemarketer), and how much limited walking really impedes everyday life, like taking out the garbage, navigating streets that are still a little icy, stairs. I have new empathy for the people who are permanently lamed for whatever reason.

Old 02-01-2004, 09:46 AM   #9
    Crazy43
    (female)

Crazy43 HB User

I hope you get some good answers at your appointment on Monday. I do understand somewhat the desire to return to a normal life. I am only 9 days post-op bilateral bunionectomyand I am already going crazy.I don't even have my stiches out yet so I can't interject on the size of the incisions. I think I will get them out on Friday. I can't imagine how bad it will be in another few weeks. Keep us informed of your progress, it is good for all of us to support each other and share our experiences, I can't imagine not having these boards to gather information on and vent, on the bad days. Good luck.

Closed Thread