It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Swelling ?--5 weeks post-op

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2004, 05:14 PM   #1
    gimpy1

gimpy1 HB User
    Question Swelling ?--5 weeks post-op

Since I'm now now able to unwrap my foot after my right foot bunionectomy 5 weeks ago, I'm able to better assess the swelling. My husband really pointed it out to me, too, that the swelling is in the thickness of my foot at the big toe joint. When compared to my "good" foot, it is almost 50% "thicker". Is everyone else still swollen like this at this point?? I know we've all had a little different procedures & we all heal differently, but I'd be interested to know if this is normal. I thought I was doing good in the swelling dept., because the rest of my foot doesn't look too bad, so when I noticed this tonight, I was kind of alarmed. I'll be sure to ask my doc about this at my visit next week...
    Gimpy1

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2004, 05:50 PM   #2
    PMCW58

PMCW58 HB User
    Re: Swelling ?--5 weeks post-op

Hi Gimpy
    I'm 4 weeks and 1 day post op a bunionectomy on my right foot. When I had my left foot done last May, I was still swollen well into September, sorry to say. It is not unusual at all, I don't think. My foot looked "thick" just like you described at the big toe joint and even the big toe. I felt completely "healed" at around 5-5.5. months. Other people with simpler procedures may heal faster, as did my friend who had a bunionectomy one week before me, with the same doctor. Her procedure was much simpler (1 incision as opposed to 3 like me) and her bunion was much smaller than mine (the Mother of all Bunions-yuck).

I think that even though you may be feeling much better, it still can't hurt to keep your foot elevated and iced, when you need it.

I feel your pain!!!
    shuffling in a blue shoe but driving carpool and chasing
    two kids!
    PMCW(Paula)
    Right foot bunionectomy 1/6/04
    left foot 5/03

Last edited by PMCW58; 02-04-2004 at 07:37 PM.

Old 02-04-2004, 06:27 PM   #3
    rileyroe
    (female)

rileyroe HB User

I am still really swollen too, and my surgery was 4 weeks ago tomorrow. The doctor told me to expect some swelling for several months....Nice thought huh! I have tried to get a few pairs of my shoes on, and they don't fit at all!! I wish the healing process didn't take so long.....but I guess we are stuck dealing with it now!! Good luck, and keep taking it easy!! Mandy

Old 02-04-2004, 11:55 PM   #4
    PuddleofMudd

PuddleofMudd HB User

I'm at 10 months for Big-Toe Fusion surgery...STILL SWOLLEN!!! Anyone think it will ever go down?

Old 02-05-2004, 05:51 AM   #5
    mediamom
    (female)

mediamom HB User

My doc said swelling typically lasts 6 months after bunion surgery. I'm about 31/2 weeks post-op so man, a long way to go!

Old 02-05-2004, 11:52 AM   #6
    carolcrone

carolcrone HB User

Yep, my doctor agreed with what y'all said above, that there will still be some swelling til about 6 months. He also said I should be able to get into hiking boots in 2 more months, go figure; guess he thinks I'm spending another $150 on a larger size. My EEEE shoe is feelin' pretty good on this big foot. The nurse called my toes "little sausages" when I went for my 6 week visit on Tues, but they both said swelling is normal right now & to elevate it whenever possible.

Old 02-05-2004, 11:58 AM   #7
    Crazy43
    (female)

Crazy43 HB User

Yep, I was told also that swelling could persist for up to 1 year, I guess at this point we are in it for the long haul. I am glad it is winter so the hot weather is not a factor in all of this.

Old 02-05-2004, 12:11 PM   #8
    gimpy1

gimpy1 HB User

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I guess I had just been looking at my toes & since it's been wrapped up, I didn't notice this area being so swollen before. Now that I can "inspect" it unwrapped, I'm just noticing how & where it IS swollen. My toes actually only get swollen after I'm up too long, but my big toe & joint area is swollen all the time--even after it's been up on it's little pillow all night long. Sounds like I'll have to get used to this, huh?

I haven't tried to walk yet without my boot, but now I'm wondering how you all are walking with all of this swelling? I know you're wearing bigger shoes, but does it hurt even then? It also seems that because underneath my foot is puffy under my big toe joint, that I will be inclined to walk more on the outside of my foot. Just trying to put a very small amount of weight on it in the shower, I can see how it is going to feel really wierd to walk in regular shoes. As much as I want to drive & get back to normal, I also am starting to fear this next "stage" in my recovery, can you tell????

The good news is I don't think my scar will be too noticeable. That area looks really good

Let's all keep smiling

Gimpy1

Closed Thread