It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• bunion removal with screws

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2004, 06:48 AM   #1
    susieblueyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieblueyes HB User
    Question bunion removal with screws

I was wondering if anyone has had to have their screws removed and what it was like? How did they remove them, time out of work and such..........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2004, 11:49 AM   #2
    rileyroe
    (female)

rileyroe HB User
    Re: bunion removal with screws

I haven't had my screws removed, but I have 2 in each toe. I was wondering if you are asking because they are causing you problems? I hope I never have any problems with mine! Ican't imagine having them taken out!

Old 02-25-2004, 03:32 PM   #3
    PMCW58

PMCW58 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by susieblueyes
    I was wondering if anyone has had to have their screws removed and what it was like? How did they remove them, time out of work and such..........

My screws in my foot are permanent , as far as I know!
    I did have a pin with my left foot, but it was removed at one week post-op
    Paula
    7 weeks post-op right foot bunionectomy
    left foot 5/03

Old 02-26-2004, 08:01 AM   #4
    susieblueyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieblueyes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rileyroe
    I haven't had my screws removed, but I have 2 in each toe. I was wondering if you are asking because they are causing you problems? I hope I never have any problems with mine! Ican't imagine having them taken out!
    Hi rileyroe,
    Thanks for replying.I have 2 screws below my big toe and I have been having problems.My foot feels like I'm walking on a marble.The doctor says the screws are out of place and are pushing down on the bottom of my foot. I have to have them removed on the 2nd of March.I have not talked to anyone that has had them removed. The doctor says he is going to remove them with local. I hope it's not half as bad as the bunion surgery itself.Once again thank you for replying. Keep in touch Sue

Old 02-26-2004, 08:07 AM   #5
    susieblueyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieblueyes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PMCW58
    My screws in my foot are permanent , as far as I know!
    I did have a pin with my left foot, but it was removed at one week post-op
    Paula
    7 weeks post-op right foot bunionectomy
    left foot 5/03
    Hello PMCW58,
    Nice to hear back from you.Yes, they said mine were permanent also, but they came out of place.So they have to be removed.I just don't know what to expect.Thanks, sue

Old 02-26-2004, 10:53 AM   #6
    szcbassoon
    (female)

szcbassoon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by susieblueyes

Hi susieblueyes,
    Funny that I should read this, as I just got home from having a screw removed from my big toe that was fused almost 1 year ago. One is still in, but this one was starting to push out because of all of my exercising, so my good dr. took it out this morning in his office. No pain to speak of really except the shots of novacane, and then he screwed it, with a lot of pressure in about 15 min time.
    My foot is a little sore right now, and is bandaged. I will have my stitches out in 5 days, then be good to go. So, it is not so bad, and I avoided having to go back to the OR. Good luck to you,
    Sue

Old 02-26-2004, 01:10 PM   #7
    susieblueyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

susieblueyes HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by szcbassoon
    Hi susieblueyes,
    Funny that I should read this, as I just got home from having a screw removed from my big toe that was fused almost 1 year ago. One is still in, but this one was starting to push out because of all of my exercising, so my good dr. took it out this morning in his office. No pain to speak of really except the shots of novacane, and then he screwed it, with a lot of pressure in about 15 min time.
    My foot is a little sore right now, and is bandaged. I will have my stitches out in 5 days, then be good to go. So, it is not so bad, and I avoided having to go back to the OR. Good luck to you,
    Sue
    HI Sue,
    Well, thank you for replying.I'm so glad to talk to someone that has experienced this. I had no idea what to expect.Glad to hear it's not that bad.Keep in touch and Good Luck to you also.
    Sue

Old 02-26-2004, 03:17 PM   #8
    PMCW58

PMCW58 HB User

Ouch Susieblueyes...what a bummer. I can't imagine it would anything near as bad as the original surgery, as your bones won't really be involved?
    Good luck to you...
    PMCW (paula)

Old 02-26-2004, 04:09 PM   #9
    carlos95
    Inactive

carlos95 HB User

Sue,

Glad it wasn't a complicated procedure! How much exercising did you do? I'm worried that the same thing will happen to me since I plan to exercise as well (as soon as I can!) What were some of the symptoms of the screw being lose? Swelling? Pain?

Thanks,

Carlos

Old 02-26-2004, 05:39 PM   #10
    szcbassoon
    (female)

szcbassoon HB User
    Smile Re: bunion removal with screws

Quote:
    Originally Posted by carlos95
    Sue,

Glad it wasn't a complicated procedure! How much exercising did you do? I'm worried that the same thing will happen to me since I plan to exercise as well (as soon as I can!) What were some of the symptoms of the screw being lose? Swelling? Pain?

Thanks,

Carlos
    Hi Carlos,
    Thanks for your concerns. I didn't exercise too much really, I run about a mile, then play singles tennis for about 90 min. 5 times a week. But apparently the screw,( there were 2 criss-crossed,) one shifted slightly and was starting to push out against my skin. And since I play in a symphony orchestra professionally, my dress shoes were rubbing against it too. So out it came today. The screw I guess was not lose, just shifted..no swelling, but pain every time I bumped it against a shoe. I think this procedure usually is done in the OR, but we opted to try and get it out in his office, and I am glad we did. It was weird however, the shots for numbing my foot were not fun, lots of yanking, pulling, and unscrewing, and I chose not to watch.
    Best of luck to you, I am sure you will also be just fine!
    Best, Sue

Old 02-26-2004, 07:47 PM   #11
    carlos95
    Inactive

carlos95 HB User

Heh, that's a similar exercise routine as what I was planning on doing and have done in the past, except that I'd only play tennis 3 times a week. I'm having trouble understanding how a screw is only "shifted." Anyway, I'm still in the early stages of recovery, so I won't worry about it too much for now. I would have also chosen not to watch a procedure like that--I faint at such things.

Thanks for your response,

Carlos

Old 02-26-2004, 10:08 PM   #12
    rileyroe
    (female)

rileyroe HB User

Sue-Please let us know how it goes for you on Tuesday!! Good Luck, and I'll be thinking about you!!! Mandy

Old 02-28-2004, 10:34 AM   #13
    supermom802

supermom802 HB User

I had 5 screws and 5 pins in my right foot after surgery on September 15, 2003. Two of the pins were removed approximately 7 weeks after surgery. That was done in the office and was completely painless. One of the screws started to come out. I could see the bump under my skin. Actually the doctor told me that it wasn't coming out but that the swelling went down more than he anticipated. I had it taken out when I had bunion surgery on my left foot. The screw removal is NO big deal. I think they made a 1/4" incision and I got 2 or 3 stitches. Some doctors can do it in the office although my doctor doesn't. If I was only having the screw removed my doctor said I would not have to get the pre-surgery physical. I think they remove the screw with a shot of novacaine. Good luck!

Old 02-28-2004, 11:53 AM   #14
    szcbassoon
    (female)

szcbassoon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by supermom802
    I had 5 screws and 5 pins in my right foot after surgery on September 15, 2003. Two of the pins were removed approximately 7 weeks after surgery. That was done in the office and was completely painless. One of the screws started to come out. I could see the bump under my skin. Actually the doctor told me that it wasn't coming out but that the swelling went down more than he anticipated. I had it taken out when I had bunion surgery on my left foot. The screw removal is NO big deal. I think they made a 1/4" incision and I got 2 or 3 stitches. Some doctors can do it in the office although my doctor doesn't. If I was only having the screw removed my doctor said I would not have to get the pre-surgery physical. I think they remove the screw with a shot of novacaine. Good luck!
    Hi supermom802,
    Wow you had a lot done to your foot, hope it is healing nicely. Although I personally wouldn't say that having the screw out is no big deal, at least to me it wasn't. After 3 shots in my foot of local ans..he and another dr. went to work to get the screw out. I found it all a bit scarey, and unnerving actually, but am glad it is over. I can see why most Dr.'s do it in the OR. But you are right, I avoided all the pre-surgery stuff and am happy about that. Stitches come out Tuesday, and today my foot is not too sore.
    Best of luck to you, hope you heal quickly.
    Best, Sue

Old 03-01-2004, 01:49 PM   #15
    rileyroe
    (female)

rileyroe HB User

Ok, I just got off the phone with my doctor and I was talking with him about the way my feet have been feeling, and he thinks that I may need to have my screws taken out. NOW I AM TOTALLY FREAKING! I was wondering what kind of problems you have been having.....My feet are still tender and achy, and the doctor told me that that isn't normal. He said that I should be 100% by now. I still have quite a bit of swelling and I can't fit into any of my shoes yet. What all was going on with your foot that indicated that you needed to have your screws removed? How long ago did you say your surgery was? Please let me know how it goes tomorrow!! Good Luck! Mandy

Closed Thread