It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Calcaneus fracture

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-27-2004, 09:42 AM   #1
    Paula B
    (female)

Paula B HB User
    Calcaneus fracture...more surgery????

Hi,
    Last April I fell from 11 feet and shattered my pelvis and my left calcaneus. I had to wait a week to undergo surgery because of the swelling in my foot. I now have five plates, pins and screws in my pelvis and seven screws and a plate in my foot. My pelvis is fairly well healed but I am still experiencing lots of problems with my foot. I was non weight bearing for twelve weeks after surgery, then I used crutches and a walker. Once I was able to put my full weight on my foot I started physical therapy for 16 weeks which did help to build up the muscles in my leg and foot however, I was still having an enormous amount of pain in my foot. When I walk my foot seems to curl under on the outside and I am unable to move my little toes. My last visit to my surgeon was at the end of December. He felt as though the pain that I was having was from weakness and the soft tissue and he suggested wearing an orthotic to help correct the toes. Two months have passed and during that time I have been focusing on strengthening my foot. I ride a stationary bike for at least 20 minutes, walk, do regular housework, and practice the exercises that I was taught at physical therapy. The pain in my foot is not subsiding at all. I live on Tylenol, which really does not give me much relief. I recently visited my PCP and he suggested that I go to see a foot and ankle surgeon. This surgeon told me that I probably need to have at least two additional surgeries. The first would be a subtalar joint fusion because she suspected that I may have developed arthitis. At the same time she would try to correct the bones in my foot so that it will lie flatter than it now does. If needed, a second surgery would be to lift up the back part of my heel. I am frightened to go through surgery again. It would mean another 6 weeks of non weight bearing then another 6 weeks of recuperation. This accident has devastated me. I have always been very active. Before I could walk daily for at least 4 miles and now I'm lucky if I can make it 1/2 mile. I have not been able to return to my job (I'm an elementary teacher) because of pain. My best friends these days are the couch, the remote, and an icepack. Next week I am having a CAT scan then another consult with the doctor. My pain is mostly across the top part of my foot and across the ankle region. Has anyone had a similar injury? What are your thoughts on surgery?

Last edited by Paula B; 02-27-2004 at 12:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2004, 03:25 AM   #2
    tchair
    (male)

tchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB User
    Re: Calcaneus fracture...more surgery????

Paula,
    From seven feet, eight screws in left foot, hip O.K. the rest is identical to me in '96. Surgeons always see surgery as the best solution. My foot does the same thing. The right orthodic is one that's made with foam that is heated to conform with the bottom of your foot. Arthritis was 'gauranteed within two years', never happened. If it is present it will be clearly visible on xrays and catscans. On the top of your foot, does it feel like a metal band across it that pulls tight and digs in? Like everyone else I still had some swelling after a year. As for muscle strength, I worked hard but things weren't right because you need to have all of the correct muscles strong, you can think they are while your right leg is actually doing 90% of the work. I got an 'air cast' and gradually wore it looser and less often while I built up the painfull muscles that were holding out on me.
    Leave surgery as a last resort. Tell your doc that you want to try any possible non-invasive remedies first. He should have many, have good specific reasons if he excludes any, and should be perfectly willing to have you go to others for them and more opinions before surgery. Ask if there is any reason to rush into surgery before all of these.
    I'll be adding more in response to MadMax79's post.

Old 04-03-2004, 07:37 PM   #3
    Paula B
    (female)

Paula B HB User
    Re: Calcaneus fracture

I had my surgery 3 days ago. What the surgeon thought was arthritis ended up as a tendon that was wrapped around the hardware in my foot. I had my heel pulled down, my tendons lengthened, a screw removed that was hitting on my tibia, and other bones shaved down. Sometimes they don't know what is wrong until they go in there. I'm so glad that I went for a second (and actually a third) opinion. In about 8 weeks I'll know if it was worth it to have surgery again. I can't see how it could make things any worse. Good luck to others having surgery.

Old 04-07-2004, 12:52 PM   #4
    Paula B
    (female)

Paula B HB User
    Re: Calcaneus fracture

Whatever you passed on to me tchair my computer will not open. I'll try again later. Thanks anyway!

Closed Thread