It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• More bunion questions-help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2004, 09:27 PM   #1
    Jenzo71
    (female)

Jenzo71 HB User
    Unhappy More bunion questions-help!

I saw my primary care doctor today, and he confirmed what I suspected, that I indeed have bunions. He did say that his wife's are about 4 times bigger than mine, which led me to believe that mine aren't that bad (yet), although my feet do hurt now sometimes. He did refer me to a foot person. He also said that I shouldn't have surgery unless I am in a lot of pain. Do I have to get to that point? Is there any way to halt this progression? As far as shoes go, I generally use sneakers with a lot of cushioning and support; I don't think I have been in heels since about 1989! Also, what is the story with "minimally invasive" procedures that I have been hearing about? If it's the case that you are ambulatory so quickly after a minmally invasive bunionectomy, why are there so many "traditional" bunionectomies? Is it a brand new procedure? How effective are bunion splints?

I'm confused.... ...so many questions!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2004, 11:00 PM   #2
    HappyMama

HappyMama HB User
    Re: More bunion questions-help!

Hi there,

I had a double bunionectomy January 7th and had moderate bunions.

In all honesty, unless you are in constant pain, I wouldn't get it done. If you experience pain a little after wearing certain shoes, I wouldn't get it done. If you experience pain from wearing any shoe then I would consider it.

Bunions can redevelop, you can lose motion in your big toes, there can be complications from surgery....not to mention the fact that this is a very invasive surgery that will leave you totally dependent on others for weeks at a time. Doctors will tell you that you will be structurally healed in 6-8 weeks, but believe me structurally healed and being able to do what you used to be able to do are totally different things!

As far as bunion splints, I don't know if they are effective before surgery. My doctor doesn't seem to think that splints are going to make a difference with me (post surgery) with preventing the regrowth of the bunion....but I dont' know about presurgery.

I would really try less aggressive treatments first if you're not in a lot of pain such as orthotics and maybe splints if the doctor recommends that.

Regarding the non-invasive procedures, I don't know how that is possible and I have read that they don't work. From all my research, the only way to really correct the bunion is to realign the bone, which obviously involved cutting into the skin, breaking the bone & realigning. Maybe others know more about it. Simple "bumpectomies" in which you just remove the bump won't correct the problem.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 03-13-2004, 06:54 AM   #3
    twobadfeet

twobadfeet HB User

Hi Jenzo,

I would agree with the answers HappyMama gave you. My only addition is in answer to your question about whether you can halt the progression of bunions once they've begun. Some here say yes, that there are people with bunions who've managed to live with them for a lifetime. My 79 and 89-year-old aunts know lots of them. My own experience was different. Once begun, they did get worse. And then they accelerated. Took off like a shot, as I said in a previous post, due to two months of shopping and preparation for family coming for an extended visit. (I was even wearing sandals the whole time, which allowed for plenty of adjustment and didn't pinch my feet at all.) There was just no stopping them.

If you do decide on a conservative approach, the recommended routes are shoes with wide toe boxes and extra room at the toes, and shoes fitted to your foot width--no B-width shoes for C-width feet. Some people like symptom-relievers like toe splints and foot baths to soothe any pain. (These don't address the root cause but can make bunions less painful.) Some doctors also recommend correcting any other foot problems that may be contributing to the development of a bunion like wearing orthotic inserts in your shoes if you have flat feet. These can be custom or over-the-counter, but obviously, custom is best though more expensive because they're made from molds of your feet. I don't know of other effective measures that are considered conservative because, frankly, conservative treatment didn't work at all for me.

I know you have a million questions when you get a diagnosis about something that's new to you, so if you have more, ask away--there are lots of us here who've been dealing with this problem for decades. Somebody can usually help.

twobadfeet

Old 03-13-2004, 09:07 AM   #4
    Jenzo71
    (female)

Jenzo71 HB User
    Unhappy Re: More bunion questions-help!

hi Two and Happy,

thanks for all your advice. I guess I didn't realize how common this problem was (because I never thought about it before), but I will never take my feet for granted again! When I talk to people, it seems that everyone either has bunions, or knows someone that has or has had them. I just found out that my 102-year-old grandmother has them, as well as my sister. I guess people generally don't advertise, "hey, I have bunions!", right?

Old 03-13-2004, 04:00 PM   #5
    Ally073

Ally073 HB User

Hi Jenzo - I am going in to have my first bunionectomy on Friday - EEEK!!! I dont have much pain coming from the bunion under my big toe which is classed as 'moderate' but my tiny tailors bunion (under my little toe) gives me excruciating pain even when i am not wearing shoes! So my podiatrist is going to knock both off at the same time.

I say it is totally your call as to when to go the surgical route and a good indication would probably be when it really affects your lifestyle. Also, the fact that your doctors wife has bunions 4x bigger than yours is irrelevant - there is no right 'size' the bunion has to be before considering surgery.

The type of surgery you have depends on the severity of the bunion and surrounding toes. I think they make the minimum incision necessary anyway. Some people have cuts all around their forefoot. Everyones case is different hence the number of different surgical procedures available for bunions. I dont expect it to be the most pleasant period in my life (no doubt I will post and let you all know how mine went) but to be rid of the pain when i walk, I know it will be worth it. Anyway - good luck!

Old 03-14-2004, 03:19 PM   #6
    workaholic

workaholic HB User

I strongly disagree with the individuals who advise people not to have the surgery done unless they are in constant pain. Why would anyone want to suffer on a regular basis? Bunions DO NOT get better, they get worse !!! I personally think it is better to get these things taken care of while you're young. You can enjoy your life without these horrible things sticking out of your feet. I'd have both done at the same time if I could, but I work so I had to go back to work after a week. I just had my right foot done and my left foot was done a year ago. I'm very very happy that I had this procedure. As far as risks go, sure any procedure has risks. But the risks are about the same as getting on a plane. It's an outpatient procedure and you're home within a few hours. I believe one should take care of their body and that includes feet!!!!
    Anyone considering the surgery, do not be afraid! You will be sooo happy that you did this. It certainly is an inconvenience to be on crutches, but then you're pain-free and bunion-free!!!! You can wear any shoes you want. I was told that they don't always grow back and if they do, it will take them a long time. Of course, make sure your surgeon is a good one! I suppose if it's not done correctly, they can come back sooner? Anyway, I'm very happy and I strongly recommend it !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-14-2004, 05:55 PM   #7
    Jenzo71
    (female)

Jenzo71 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ally073
    Hi Jenzo - I am going in to have my first bunionectomy on Friday - EEEK!!! I dont have much pain coming from the bunion under my big toe which is classed as 'moderate' but my tiny tailors bunion (under my little toe) gives me excruciating pain even when i am not wearing shoes! So my podiatrist is going to knock both off at the same time.

I say it is totally your call as to when to go the surgical route and a good indication would probably be when it really affects your lifestyle. Also, the fact that your doctors wife has bunions 4x bigger than yours is irrelevant - there is no right 'size' the bunion has to be before considering surgery.

The type of surgery you have depends on the severity of the bunion and surrounding toes. I think they make the minimum incision necessary anyway. Some people have cuts all around their forefoot. Everyones case is different hence the number of different surgical procedures available for bunions. I dont expect it to be the most pleasant period in my life (no doubt I will post and let you all know how mine went) but to be rid of the pain when i walk, I know it will be worth it. Anyway - good luck!
    Hi Ally,
    good luck with your procedure, and please let us know how it turns out.
    Jen

Old 03-14-2004, 06:03 PM   #8
    Jenzo71
    (female)

Jenzo71 HB User

hi Workaholic,

I too have heard that it's best to get this procedure done when you're young. I also am already tired of my feet hurting; I never know when they may "decide" to flare up again! I am glad you are pleased with your decision, too. It seems that some people have an easy time with the procedure whereas others have a bad experience. I am feeling kind of silly because I thought my feet were supposed to look the way they do, not realizing that bunions were developing (they are on both feet). Do other people have this experience, too (i.e., not being aware of what's happening with one's feet initially)? Of course, I just found out I have flat feet too, whereas all my life I assumed I had a normal arch. How long was your recovery period? You said you had to be back to work in a week; was that difficult for you?

Jen

Old 03-16-2004, 09:08 AM   #9
    workaholic

workaholic HB User

Hello Jenzo71,

Again, it's definitely a wise move to have the bunions taken care of as soon as possible. I wish I had them removed years ago!
    Anyway, with both my left foot and the right foot, I was out of work for 6 days (working days). I just came back to work after having my right foot done. My stitches came out yesterday and my cast was removed. I had to be driven to the
    appointment, but then I drove myself to work. Thankfully, I had no problems driving.
    Also, I don't do much walking around at work. I have a desk job, which helps in this case. My full recovery period was approximately 3-4 months. I had lots of swelling with my left foot so I had to buy big shoes to wear. It took over six months for me to get back into ALL my shoes, that includes heals, etc. Also, I believe going to physical therapy. I think that helped me a lot. I figure you go thru all that pain, etc. to have this done, you might as well make sure you're doing everything to prevent any complications with walking, or having pain later......I read about people having all these problems later, and I believe that by going to physical therapy, they could have prevented some of these complications. But, again, that's just my opinion, and I guess I'm speaking from experience. Thank God we only have two feet, huh? I'm so glad I'm done with foot surgery!

Closed Thread