It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• 8 Weeks Post Op and I feel Great!!!!!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2004, 05:52 AM   #1
    caligirl1
    (female)

caligirl1 HB User
    8 Weeks Post Op and I feel Great!!!!!!!!

I have basically NO pain anymore. I am back in a tennis shoe. I am currently trying to get a new job so my doctor said I can wear my small healed loafer only to the interview and once I get out take it off. I wish I could wear it all the time, as I like to dress nice at work (I don't have to) and when I wear one nice dress boot, my feet are uneven because it's either the surgical shoe or a tennis shoe. I want to wear the loafer all day, but I should listen to him or I'll regret it. He said I can't walk around barefoot but I still stand in the shower barefoot. I can't tolerate the baths anymore, as I have long hair. I go back again April 15th to get the ok to go back into normal all day shoes again. My foot looks AWESOME. He is one of the top surgeons I found out where I live. My scar is a very light pink and looks great. I am just anxious to wear my boots again, and go on hubbys motorcycle with him. He is away right now (Military) and comes back mid April, so when he gets back I will be normal again, I am so anxious for that day! lol....... And just so you know, I had bunion surgery and 2 hammer toes fixed on my left foot. 4 days after surgery I was walking, no medication needed after 4 days. I was never in a cast, only a small blue surgical shoe. Crutches were only needed the first week or so.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2004, 06:50 AM   #2
    eko
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

eko HB Usereko HB User
    Re: 8 Weeks Post Op and I feel Great!!!!!!!!

Congratulations! I am glad to hear that all has gone well for you! It is great to hear success stories. I wish you continued success! -eko

Old 03-15-2004, 08:19 AM   #3
    carolcrone

carolcrone HB User

Glad you're doing so well. You'll be back in your regular shoes before you know it!

Old 03-15-2004, 11:07 AM   #4
    HappyMama

HappyMama HB User

that's great!!!

Old 03-17-2004, 08:42 PM   #5
    Jenzo71
    (female)

Jenzo71 HB User

That's wonderful that your foot (just one foot, right?) is healing so nicely! It's nice to hear good things about bunion/hammertoe surgery. My sister unfortunately is afraid to have either her bunions or hammertoes operated on because she has heard "terrible things" about surgery! I can't imagine it is as awful as some people have said, and I imagine the benefits outweigh the temporary immobility/inconvenience in the long run.

Old 03-18-2004, 08:22 AM   #6
    twobadfeet

twobadfeet HB User

Jenzo,

Tell your sister everything she'd heard is probably true--it's that bad, and worse. And I'm having it done on my other foot in 3 months.

The pain from my bunionectomy was the worst pain I have ever experienced, and I've had pain in the past so bad it's made me pass out, so that's saying something. People on this board have said that it's easier to give birth. Given that we're normal people here, and as far as I can tell there are no masochists among us, why do we do it? And having done it once, why would we ever go back to endure it again? Because it's the only game in town. When your feet get to the point where you can't walk without pain, or buy shoes that fit, or wear anything on your feet for more than an hour without pain and you start to worry that if you let this go much further it will impair your ability to walk, you have to make another choice. And the only thing that works when it gets that bad is surgery.

And that's the key phrase here: when it gets that bad. My bunionectomy pain was so severe largely because my bunion was so severe, which meant my doctor had to do a lot to my foot to make it normal again. Tell your sister that the good news is if she has it taken care of BEFORE it gets severe, she won't experience the pain I, and a lot of other people with severe bunions, did. Her surgery will be less extensive and her recovery will be shorter and less painful. Unfortunately, people with moderate bunions take away the wrong message from folks who've gone through this. They think because it can be very painful, it should be avoided at all costs, and they put it off till he-- won't have it. Then they virtually guarantee that theirs will be that painful because their bunions are severe. Which is why I'm gonna bite the proverbial bullet and go back for a second one on my moderate bunion in a matter of months. This time it will be better. And when it's all over my feet will be normal and healthy and I'll be able to walk again without pain. And that makes it all worth it.

I know you didn't ask for that little tirade, but to save you from going through what I did, I thought you and your sister should know.

twobadfeet

Old 03-18-2004, 09:10 AM   #7
    caligirl1
    (female)

caligirl1 HB User
    Exclamation Re: 8 Weeks Post Op and I feel Great!!!!!!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by twobadfeet
    Jenzo,

Tell your sister everything she'd heard is probably true--it's that bad, and worse. And I'm having it done on my other foot in 3 months.

The pain from my bunionectomy was the worst pain I have ever experienced, and I've had pain in the past so bad it's made me pass out, so that's saying something. People on this board have said that it's easier to give birth. Given that we're normal people here, and as far as I can tell there are no masochists among us, why do we do it? And having done it once, why would we ever go back to endure it again? Because it's the only game in town. When your feet get to the point where you can't walk without pain, or buy shoes that fit, or wear anything on your feet for more than an hour without pain and you start to worry that if you let this go much further it will impair your ability to walk, you have to make another choice. And the only thing that works when it gets that bad is surgery.

And that's the key phrase here: when it gets that bad. My bunionectomy pain was so severe largely because my bunion was so severe, which meant my doctor had to do a lot to my foot to make it normal again. Tell your sister that the good news is if she has it taken care of BEFORE it gets severe, she won't experience the pain I, and a lot of other people with severe bunions, did. Her surgery will be less extensive and her recovery will be shorter and less painful. Unfortunately, people with moderate bunions take away the wrong message from folks who've gone through this. They think because it can be very painful, it should be avoided at all costs, and they put it off till he-- won't have it. Then they virtually guarantee that theirs will be that painful because their bunions are severe. Which is why I'm gonna bite the proverbial bullet and go back for a second one on my moderate bunion in a matter of months. This time it will be better. And when it's all over my feet will be normal and healthy and I'll be able to walk again without pain. And that makes it all worth it.

I know you didn't ask for that little tirade, but to save you from going through what I did, I thought you and your sister should know.

twobadfeet

First of all, your experience may be a lot different from what their sister will have to go through. Giving birth for me compared to this surgery will be 50x tougher. I had NO PAIN hardly at all from this surgery. The ONLY time I had experienced pain was during the night when it was healing. I was walking 4 DAYS LATER, and I only needed my pain medication for the first 3-4 days. And yes, my left foot wasnt moderate, it was pretty bad. I do have screws forever in it as well, and 8 weeks later I would never know I had foot surgery.....My right foot will be a lot easier, but FOR ANYONE READING THIS, the SURGERY isn't as bad for everyone. Some people have no pain and it's a breeze like I did. And I'm being 100% honest. I have no reason to lie to anyone on here!

Old 03-18-2004, 09:23 AM   #8
    GreyAngel
    (male)

GreyAngel HB User

twobadfeet is right! I had moderate bunions and so far I've had surgery on my left foot. I've had very little pain and that's even without taking pain killers. There was only one night where I had enough pain to take a pill, but I think the pain had to do with the fact that I had fallen a few days before (yeah, be careful when walking with crutches). I also had some pain during the first couple of weeks if my foot was low for too long, but you're supposed to keep it elevated all the time. It's now been almost 6 weeks after surgery and I'm very pleased with the results (and so is my doctor!) The only thing to worry about now is gaining back the range of motion on my toe and reducing the swelling (which isn't that much now).

I would have liked to have used the fact that I've gone through foot surgery to respond to some of the "I've gone through childbirth!" comment women sometimes make, but I honestly doubt my experience was that painful! LOL

Carlos

Old 03-18-2004, 09:27 AM   #9
    GreyAngel
    (male)

GreyAngel HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gsxrgirl
    First of all, your experience may be a lot different from what their sister will have to go through. Giving birth for me compared to this surgery will be 50x tougher. I had NO PAIN hardly at all from this surgery. The ONLY time I had experienced pain was during the night when it was healing. I was walking 4 DAYS LATER, and I only needed my pain medication for the first 3-4 days. And yes, my left foot wasnt moderate, it was pretty bad. I do have screws forever in it as well, and 8 weeks later I would never know I had foot surgery.....My right foot will be a lot easier, but FOR ANYONE READING THIS, the SURGERY isn't as bad for everyone. Some people have no pain and it's a breeze like I did. And I'm being 100% honest. I have no reason to lie to anyone on here!
    That's pretty AMAZING that you were walking 4 days later! I'm guessing that your procedure was similar to mine since I also had screws put in, but there was NO WAY that I could walk 4 days later. I first started walking without crutches a month after surgery!

Carlos

Old 03-18-2004, 10:40 AM   #10
    twobadfeet

twobadfeet HB User

I think you missed my point. My major point was that yes, this surgery is very serious and can be very painful (more apparently for some than for others) but that it is, in the end, the only hope some of have of having normal feet again and being able to walk without pain for the rest of our lives. I won't get into a debate with you about how much pain you did or didn't experience--your pain is your pain and only you know how bad that is or was. I also won't get into a debate about how much pain one MUST experience through this process. I can, however, speak from my own experience and it was for me, very bad indeed, but (and here again is my point) that it is sometimes the ONLY choice open to us, and that putting it off if/when you need it because of the pain just insures it will be more difficult. I hope that clarifies my position.

twobadfeet

Old 03-18-2004, 02:28 PM   #11
    caligirl1
    (female)

caligirl1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GreyAngel
    That's pretty AMAZING that you were walking 4 days later! I'm guessing that your procedure was similar to mine since I also had screws put in, but there was NO WAY that I could walk 4 days later. I first started walking without crutches a month after surgery!

Carlos

To be quite honest my doctor didn't even want to give me crutches, he said I can walk fine as long as I keep my surgical shoe on at all times. I wanted the crutches to be safe since I life where there is snow! I was walking around the house fine without my crutches.

Old 03-18-2004, 05:46 PM   #12
    Jenzo71
    (female)

Jenzo71 HB User

Hi guys,

this thread is pretty interesting. I will have to let my sister know that different people have different experiences. My poor sister's feet have calloused hammertoes; at least the bunions on both feet don't look too bad (I don't think, anyway). And she runs a good 7 miles a day, rain or shine! I must admit I share her angst, though. I have my first podiatrist appointment on Tuesday to see how "rough" my bunions (which, as I have mentioned in previous threads, I thought were normal!). From discussions I have had with people, both at work and on this board, I have deduced that bunions don't "get better"; that they inevitably get worse. Is this definitive? Is the only way to save a ton of pain and suffering years down the road to get them surgically removed? I intend on exploring every option, of course-so far, things like applying ice to the bunions help, in addition to roomy shoes. Perhaps I need an orthotics. Also, if they are removed, what's the probability that they come back? Are peoples' feet "normal looking" after the procedure (after the scars fade, and the swelling goes down)? I just want to walk and hike again without having to put cushioning, loosening my shoes, and everything else that comes with these things, as well as getting rid of the dull ache that I feel a lot in my left foot now (even though the protrusion isn't that pronounced). Sorry guys ; I find this to be an upsetting topic, both for myself, and my older sister. That's why I like the success stories so much

Old 03-18-2004, 06:21 PM   #13
    GreyAngel
    (male)

GreyAngel HB User

That is what my podiatrist told me--bunions get worse, not better. You can slow the progress of the bunions, however, but they'll get worse nevertheless. Your podiatrist will probably tell you the same thing. After my bunions are surgically fixed, I will have to wear orthotics for the rest of my life in order to prevent the bunions from reforming.

I'm almost 6 weeks post-op and my left foot (the one fixed) is looking quite good. My podiatrist told me that my foot has exceeded his expectations, which rather makes me nervous since I still have the right foot to go! (What exactly ARE his expectations? I didn't ask him.) I wish you could see "before and after" pictures of my foot, but I could get banned for putting ".com" links. I'll try to think of something.

Carlos

Old 03-19-2004, 03:38 AM   #14
    caligirl1
    (female)

caligirl1 HB User
    Wink Re: 8 Weeks Post Op and I feel Great!!!!!!!!

Hi there.

you will be amazed at how well my foot looks now. I had orthodics for years, my podiatrist told me they don't correct the problem, they only SLOW down the damage. I honestly am so glad i had this surgery, yes I am anxious to get back into real boots again, but my foot looks awesome and all I have now is 1 foot to go next year. I was TERRIFIED before my surgery, everyone said it was going to be so painful.....Yeah I was frustrated the first few days because it was snowing and the cold didn't help, but after those first days I didn't even need my pain medication. The only PAIN I experienced that honestly was HORRIBLE was when I'd wake up in the middle of the night, which my doctor said was the tendons reforming or healing or something.......That was it.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-19-2004 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Old 03-20-2004, 11:04 AM   #15
    chezlux
    (female)

chezlux HB User

It's so nice to hear about a positive experience. It gives me hope that I will make it thru surgery this week!!! Thanks!

Closed Thread