It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

  • bunion surgery in 12/03, now have neuroma in same foot

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 03-28-2004, 02:54 PM   #1
    f2s
    Newbie
     
    f2s's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: Houston, TX
    Posts: 6
    f2s HB User
    bunion surgery in 12/03, now have neuroma in same foot

    the doctor says i have two neuroma's (b/t 2&3 toe and 3&4 toe) in the same foot that i had bunion surgery on in december. i am not really sure this is the case. the symptoms that i have don't really seem to match what i have read the symptoms for a neuroma are. i am constantly on my feet (12 hrs/day) for my job and usually after a few hours it feel likes i have no padding on the ball of my feet under the toes i mentioned. basically it feels like my foot forms improperly when i walk and that the bones are hitting the ground. it's quite unpleasant. occasionally it feels like i have a pebble in my shoe.

    i believe the doctor is basing her diagnosis soley on the x-ray of my foot that showed the metatarsal bones between the toes i mentioned are now closer together than they were prior to the bunion surgery. does this sound right?

    i dont get the burning sensation, or the electrical shock sensation, or anything like i've read many of your describe, except for the pebble in my shoe thing. i've had about 4 injections of alcohol into my foot and it doesn't do anything after the initial numbness wears off. the doctor says she is going to give me three more (1 per week), then try a cortisone shot. failing that, she wants to do surgery to remove the nerves between those toes.

    the big toe where i had the bunion surgery now seems to have a mind of it's own when i walk. all the little piggies go to the market, except the surgical one who just sits there with a dumb look on his face. i can move it up just fine but it doesn't move down very well and kind of moves out at an angle when i walk instead of straightly lined up with the rest of my toes. could this cause pain in the opposite side of my foot? it also hurts on the top of my foot in the same area.

    another issue i am having is being able to work. my job has no light duty (i've inquired several times) available to me and my doctor says that she does not usually keep people off of work for neuromas. so basically i am in too much pain to work, but not enough pain to be kept at home. my job sent me home last week because i was limping and the doctor gave me 10 days off and says she will not write me an excuse for longer than that. i am nearing the end of my 10 days, and i'm feeling no better, so i'm quite certain i will be sent home from work again.

    help, please! i dont want to have another surgery, but i am going to lose my health insurance in July so i feel that i dont have a lot of time to mess around with conservative treatments that may or may not work. i am really not thrilled about losing sensation in my toes from nerve removal, either. i have explained all of the issues i wrote about here to my doctor but she stands by her diagnosis.

    Last edited by f2s; 03-28-2004 at 05:45 PM.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 03-28-2004, 02:57 PM   #2
    rileyroe
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    rileyroe's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Location: KANSAS
    Posts: 185
    rileyroe HB User
    Re: bunion surgery in 12/03, now have neuroma in same foot

    I would definately get a second opinion as soon as you can! Don't let her do any surgery unless you are for sure that is going to solve the problem!

     
    Old 03-28-2004, 04:10 PM   #3
    Fuchsia_Lay
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Posts: 194
    Fuchsia_Lay HB User
    Re: bunion surgery in 12/03, now have neuroma in same foot

    Careful of those alcohol injections.
    They made my neuroma problems worse.!!!!!!!
    Had bunion surgery approx 6 months agao (can't even remember) + nerve removed.... not real fun... better ?? so so I would say.
    But yes-- check into those injections-- they made my neuroma worse

     
    Old 03-29-2004, 04:09 AM   #4
    Fuchsia_Lay
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Posts: 194
    Fuchsia_Lay HB User
    Re: bunion surgery in 12/03, now have neuroma in same foot

    Just to add .. I had nerves removed in both feet (neuromas). Doctor said largest he'd ever seen..attributed it to the alcohol injections...............
    I would check with many other patients who have undergone your doctor's regimen before being injected again....... see how they have made out..
    good luck !!!

     
    Old 03-29-2004, 05:25 AM   #5
    twobadfeet
    Senior Member
     
    twobadfeet's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 207
    twobadfeet HB User
    Re: bunion surgery in 12/03, now have neuroma in same foot

    If I were in your shoes, I'd run, not walk, to another surgeon for a second opinion. Several things about your story concern me. First, the fact that your big toe is poorly aligned after the surgery makes me wonder whether your doctor didn't (there's no polite way to say this) botch the surgery. Second, despite the fact that the alcohol injections are clearly not taking care of the problem, she intends to not only continue, but to increase them. Third, she want to start cortisone injections, which others on this list say can reduce the fat pad on the bottom of the feet, and you already feel it's not sufficient to cushion your toes. Fourth, she wants to do MORE surgery for neuromas you're not convinced you have because your symptoms don't match the classic neuroma symptoms. You need more information from a trusted source and I think your best bet is another surgeon. Please don't do anything that will have permanent, possibly debilitating, results until you're sure. Just my two cents.

    twobadfeet

     
    Old 03-29-2004, 05:59 AM   #6
    supermom802
    Senior Member
     
    supermom802's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Location: Greensburg, PA USA
    Posts: 109
    supermom802 HB User
    Re: bunion surgery in 12/03, now have neuroma in same foot

    I agree that you should get a second opinions. I am shocked that your doctor won't give you some kind of excuse for work due to a neuroma. My neuroma was much more painful than my bunions. I could not walk at all with a neuroma by the end of the day. I had a neuroma removed after bunon surgery. I asked my surgeon if neuromas are common after bunions surgery and he said no. I am surprised because it would seem that you run the risk of crowding the nerves when you pin and screw all those bones closer together. The good news is that after I had the neuroma removed, the recovery is about one week. The recovery is not anywhere near as long as that for bunion surgery. Good luck!

     
    Old 03-29-2004, 10:10 AM   #7
    f2s
    Newbie
     
    f2s's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: Houston, TX
    Posts: 6
    f2s HB User
    Re: bunion surgery in 12/03, now have neuroma in same foot

    well, the doctor says that many patients do not respond to the alcohol injections until they have received a certain amount of them (around 7 or 8), which is her reason for continuing them.

    after the bunion surgery i was still having a lot of pain in that general area where I had the surgery and i had an MRI done to find the problem. the doctor said the sesmoid bones were inflamed and i received three cortisone shots for that and it solved the problem. so maybe the cortisone shots will work for the neuroma too?

    either way, I am going to see the doctor that performed the surgery tomorrow, and I made an appointment to see another surgeon tomorrow also. I will let you guys know what is said.

    thanks for the advice!

     
    Old 03-29-2004, 12:02 PM   #8
    CJBermuda
    Senior Member
     
    CJBermuda's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Posts: 213
    CJBermuda HB User
    Re: bunion surgery in 12/03, now have neuroma in same foot

    Supermom, I am curious about your neuroma surgery. You said it took a week for recovery? Where you heel walking, cane, crutches or cast because of your previous bunion surgery?

    I am finally getting a neuroma surgery after nearly 10 months of suffering. i think the injections have actually made the problem worse. I cannot take it anymore. I was also diagnosed with capsulitis, but the new Surgeon is not going to give me a Metatarsal Osteotomy, only unless he sees fit once he goes in and removes the neuromas. I feel that my neuromas are very bad, the pain has trippled in the last couple of weeks and I am at a point of needing Release for the pain!!!

    thanks
    CJ..



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by supermom802
    I agree that you should get a second opinions. I am shocked that your doctor won't give you some kind of excuse for work due to a neuroma. My neuroma was much more painful than my bunions. I could not walk at all with a neuroma by the end of the day. I had a neuroma removed after bunon surgery. I asked my surgeon if neuromas are common after bunions surgery and he said no. I am surprised because it would seem that you run the risk of crowding the nerves when you pin and screw all those bones closer together. The good news is that after I had the neuroma removed, the recovery is about one week. The recovery is not anywhere near as long as that for bunion surgery. Good luck!

     
    Old 03-29-2004, 12:21 PM   #9
    supermom802
    Senior Member
     
    supermom802's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Location: Greensburg, PA USA
    Posts: 109
    supermom802 HB User
    Re: bunion surgery in 12/03, now have neuroma in same foot

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CJBermuda
    Supermom, I am curious about your neuroma surgery. You said it took a week for recovery? Where you heel walking, cane, crutches or cast because of your previous bunion surgery?

    I am finally getting a neuroma surgery after nearly 10 months of suffering. i think the injections have actually made the problem worse. I cannot take it anymore. I was also diagnosed with capsulitis, but the new Surgeon is not going to give me a Metatarsal Osteotomy, only unless he sees fit once he goes in and removes the neuromas. I feel that my neuromas are very bad, the pain has trippled in the last couple of weeks and I am at a point of needing Release for the pain!!!

    thanks
    CJ..
    CJ,

    My surgery history is long. In October 2001, I had bilateral bunion surgery performed by a podiatrist. The bunions came back within a year. I had a bunion and bunionette removed on my right foot by an orthopedic surgeon-foot specialist in September, 2003. By November, 2003 I had developed a neuroma between my third and fourth toes on my right foot. I got a cortisone injecion in January, 2004 which didn't help at all. In February, 2003 I had a bunion and bunionette removed from my left foot. At the same time I had
    a screw removed from my right foot that was making a bump under the skin. I also had the neuroma removed from my right foot. I was not allowed to put weight on either foot for one week. After one week I put weight on my right foot and used crutches. Most of my weight on my right foot went on my heel, so I just went to the bathroom and back for about a week. I am still not allowed to put weight on my left foot. I combined these surgeries because I was trying to limit my recovery time. I pushed my doctor to the limit of what he would do in one surgery. I may be the wrong person to ask, but the neuroma surgery is rather minor and the recovery isn't to long. It's when they break or cut bones that the revery is longer. I have a 1 and 1/4" incision that is barely visible from my neuroma surgery. Good luck!

     
    Old 03-29-2004, 12:27 PM   #10
    CJBermuda
    Senior Member
     
    CJBermuda's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Posts: 213
    CJBermuda HB User
    Re: bunion surgery in 12/03, now have neuroma in same foot

    Hi Great!!! Thanks!!

    That does not sound so bad... So about a week recovery...
    thanks
    CJ..

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by supermom802
    CJ,

    My surgery history is long. In October 2001, I had bilateral bunion surgery performed by a podiatrist. The bunions came back within a year. I had a bunion and bunionette removed on my right foot by an orthopedic surgeon-foot specialist in September, 2003. By November, 2003 I had developed a neuroma between my third and fourth toes on my right foot. I got a cortisone injecion in January, 2004 which didn't help at all. In February, 2003 I had a bunion and bunionette removed from my left foot. At the same time I had
    a screw removed from my right foot that was making a bump under the skin. I also had the neuroma removed from my right foot. I was not allowed to put weight on either foot for one week. After one week I put weight on my right foot and used crutches. Most of my weight on my right foot went on my heel, so I just went to the bathroom and back for about a week. I am still not allowed to put weight on my left foot. I combined these surgeries because I was trying to limit my recovery time. I pushed my doctor to the limit of what he would do in one surgery. I may be the wrong person to ask, but the neuroma surgery is rather minor and the recovery isn't to long. It's when they break or cut bones that the revery is longer. I have a 1 and 1/4" incision that is barely visible from my neuroma surgery. Good luck!

     
    Old 03-30-2004, 10:15 AM   #11
    f2s
    Newbie
     
    f2s's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: Houston, TX
    Posts: 6
    f2s HB User
    Re: bunion surgery in 12/03, now have neuroma in same foot

    I just got back from the doctor's office (the one that did my surgery) and I explained again that I think my big toe is out of alignment and she moved it around some and said i had great movement in that toe and that was the end of that discussion.

    I got another alcohol injection and she says next week if I'm not doing better then she's going to switch to cortisone.

    Then she lectured me for another 30 minutes on how my shoes don't provide any support and that I need to buy the $500 orthotics and she thinks those will solve all the problems of the world.

    There are several people that I work with that have the orthotics and they hate them and say they don't help. I'm also really skeptical that they will solve any of my problems... and they are too expensive.

    I'm going to see the new podiatrist this afternoon. But my question now is have the orthotics worked for anyone?

     
    Old 03-30-2004, 10:23 AM   #12
    CJBermuda
    Senior Member
     
    CJBermuda's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Posts: 213
    CJBermuda HB User
    Exclamation Re: bunion surgery in 12/03, now have neuroma in same foot

    From my own experience on Orthotics, I am on my second pair. The first pair did not do a thing. The second pair hurt like hell, but seem to have corrected the problem in my knee...........

    Give them a try, but $500 is a lot of money to go around with hurting feet. I would seek another opinion if I were you..


    take care
    CJ..

     
    Old 03-30-2004, 03:26 PM   #13
    Fuchsia_Lay
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Posts: 194
    Fuchsia_Lay HB User
    Re: bunion surgery in 12/03, now have neuroma in same foot

    As I have said.. alcohol injections KILLED ME...

    Had 7-8 treatments I remember---each week seemed to get worse...

    Dr. (other than the 1 administering injections) said when removing neuroma - biggest he'd ever seen--attributed to alcohol injections....

    good luck,,, ...

     
    Old 03-30-2004, 04:24 PM   #14
    jdm
    Senior Member
     
    jdm's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Posts: 162
    jdm HB User
    Re: bunion surgery in 12/03, now have neuroma in same foot

    f2s,
    Just wanted to give you my two cents about orthodics - I love mine! Yes they are expensive, but they were worth their weight. Some insurances will pay for them. It is worth checking. I don't wear them everyday because they don't fit in all my shoes. However, I do wear them at least 4-5 days per week.

    JDM

     
    Old 03-30-2004, 05:01 PM   #15
    Fuchsia_Lay
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Posts: 194
    Fuchsia_Lay HB User
    Re: bunion surgery in 12/03, now have neuroma in same foot

    Orthotics definitely helped me.

    Not cheap as the previous writer has said; but well worth it in my opin.

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Morton's Neuroma and Taylor's Bunion sbehbaha Foot & Ankle Problems 7 03-24-2009 01:37 PM
    can a bunion cause this? karen1154 Foot & Ankle Problems 6 08-03-2008 08:38 PM
    travel advice needed for after neuroma/possibly bunion surgery footsiedee Foot & Ankle Problems 20 06-22-2008 02:06 AM
    Bunion surgery and neuroma removal at same time Chubstercat Foot & Ankle Problems 8 11-21-2007 10:39 AM
    Ball of Foot Pain - but not bunion pain Chubstercat Foot & Ankle Problems 35 10-13-2007 10:30 AM
    Bunion And Neuroma Surgery Precious55 Foot & Ankle Problems 4 10-11-2007 05:34 AM
    Bunion and Morton Neuroma surgery Precious55 Foot & Ankle Problems 5 07-06-2007 07:30 PM
    Lots of Bunion Surgery Questions- Long Post cmptrwun Foot & Ankle Problems 2 06-18-2004 06:52 AM
    bunion and nerve tumor removal + heel spurs! sawbuck44 Foot & Ankle Problems 0 07-25-2003 12:42 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:04 AM.





    © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!