It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Numb because of shoes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2004, 01:35 AM   #1
    Shy Bunny

Shy Bunny HB User
    Numb because of shoes

Hello. Ever since I started my new job and got a new pair of leather pumps, the sides of my big toes have been slightly numb. Slightly, as in I can feel, but it feels like the nerves are just getting out from pins & needles. I had the shoes stretched out at a store and so I no longer am in pain but the numbness is still there. Should I be worried? Can this lead to something bad?
    Any info would be helpful. Thanks much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2004, 07:58 AM   #2
    carolcrone

carolcrone HB User
    Re: Numb because of shoes

Well, they say that heredity plus tight or pointy shoes grows bunions, but it did take 30 years or so for mine to get bad enough for surgery. Sounds like you're young enough to make a difference in the care of your feet. I'd RUN (well I can't quite run yet, but I'd limp fast) away from those too-tight shoes and look for some that fit.

Old 04-07-2004, 08:19 AM   #3
    twobadfeet

twobadfeet HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by carolcrone
    I'd RUN (well I can't quite run yet, but I'd limp fast) away from those too-tight shoes and look for some that fit.
    I'll second that. Too-tight shoes plus heredity are what did it for me. It also took about 30 years of abuse (I even shopped in heels) for my bunions to get to surgery-stage. My advice, like carolcrone's, is to change the things you can (which means buying shoes that fit--with wide toe boxes in a width that's suited to your feet.) May be hard to find, but well worth the effort to keep your feet healthy and looking pretty for a lifetime. Good luck to you.

twobadfeet

Old 04-07-2004, 01:33 PM   #4
    tutti
    (female)

tutti HB User

It took less than 2 years of wearing ill fitting shoes for my bunion to appear and get to the stage that I needed surgery, and I wear tennis shoes! Get rid of any tight shoes NOW. Comofortable shoes should be your best friend!

tutti and her feet

Old 04-07-2004, 02:37 PM   #5
    danged_feet

danged_feet HB User

In my opinion, if they hurt your feet, you are probably hurting your feet. I try to get shoes that don't hurt my feet any more than they normally hurt. Yes they hurt most of the time(the reason I had surgery). But I have either thrown away or gave away probably 10 to 15 pair of expensive shoes because after I brought them home and worn them for a day or so they caused me more pain than normal.

Old 04-09-2004, 12:55 AM   #6
    sealover
    Veteran
    (female)

sealover HB Usersealover HB User

Shy Bunny,

You wrote: "Ever since I started my new job and got a new pair of leather pumps, the sides of my big toes have been slightly numb. Slightly, as in I can feel, but it feels like the nerves are just getting out from pins & needles. I had the shoes stretched out at a store and so I no longer am in pain but the numbness is still there. Should I be worried? Can this lead to something bad?"

In my opinion, you've irritated the digital nerves in your big toes from the leather being tight against your toes and possibly from the leather rubbing against those toes. Nerves can heal, but it takes TIME...and how much time it takes for an irritated nerve to heal varies from person to person. If the problem is still bothering you in, say, a week from now, make an appointment with your doctor who may prescribe anti-inflammatory meds, but please don't have any cortisone injections (say no to cortisone even if your doc says you should have one...trust me on this). You may find that soaking your feet in warm water with epsom salts will help over time.

I would highly suggest, as the others have mentioned, that you buy some shoes with a wide enough toe box so that no part of the shoe constricts any part of your foot, especially your big toes because you want those nerves to heal. Also, pumps/high heels are bad for your feet as they force the weight of your body into the forefoot, and wearing these types of shoes can lead to bunions, neuromas, toe deformities, etc.

You asked if your current numbness problem can lead to something bad...I'm not sure what you have in mind as being bad, but I wouldn't worry about that right now. I believe that if you wear comfortable footwear that is not constricting on your toe area, that the numbness will improve. Don't get discouraged because as I said, nerves take time to heal.

Take care of your feet!

Closed Thread