It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Future Uncertain (Fractured Heel)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2004, 08:09 PM   #1
    click1

click1 HB User
    Future Uncertain (Fractured Heel)

About 6 weeks ago I fell off a ladder and fractured my heel. After two series of x-rays and a ct scan I am finally scheduled to see the surgeon to determine whether he will operate or not. According to the ct scan there are multiple fragments and surgery might not be the way to go. I am freaking out because I can't imagine the loss of function of this foot. I have continued to work even though I have a cast on my leg. I do not put any weight on it. Does anyone have any idea about the process bones go through to heal? I am researching vitamins and going on a diet to reduce my weight for a hopefully easier rehab. Has anyone been in this situation and not have surgery? What was your experience like? It is throbbing by the end of the day but I can handle the pain. Am I delaying the healing process by working so much?
    Are there any new breakthroughs in dealing with a calcaneous fracture? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    Click1

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2004, 07:59 AM   #2
    Paula B
    (female)

Paula B HB User
    Re: Future Uncertain (Fractured Heel)

Hi
    About a year ago I feel from about 11 feet and fractured my calcaneous as well as my pelvis. My surgeon waited to operate for 10 days so taht the swelling would subside in my foot. The pain that I was in for those 10 days was intolerable. I didn't want anyone to touch me. My surgeon fixed my pelvis with plates and screws and nuts and bolts (I'm like a small hardware store) and tried to repair as best as he could my calcaneous. It was severely shattered and he put it together as best as he could. Over the past year I have recovered somewhat but not fully. I recently went for a second opinion and this surgeon told me that there was definitely ways that she could help me...pull my heel down, realign the bones on the bottom of my foot, lengthen my archilles tendon, and do a subtalar fusion. When she actually got in there she discovered some things that were not able to be seen on either x-rays or a scan. My tendons were wrapped around the hardware that was originally put in and I had tendons and muscles that were attached to nothing.
    If your foot is as bad as you say I do not understand why your doctor is not suggesting surgery. Ther is probably some way that he/she can help you. Or go for a second opinion. I have heard from so many doctors that the calcaneous is absolutely the worst bone in your body that you can break. My life has changed so much since this accident. I was so active and now I feel like I'm 100 years old and useless. Good luck to you. Keep in touch. Go for that second opinion. Paula

Old 04-16-2004, 07:18 PM   #3
    click1

click1 HB User
    Re: Future Uncertain (Fractured Heel)

Hi Paula,
    I am very sorry that we have this in common. I am also sorry that you feel 100 years old and useless? Did the second surgery help at all? Are you able to put any weight on it now? Can you walk? How long and how much rehab till you are back to normal? Sorry for all the questions. This is very new and very scary. I do not think my tendon is disconnected or I would have been feeling the pain that you felt. Did you also feel the bone fragments moving around?
    Click1

Closed Thread